Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos SetList MIDI Implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Kronos SetList MIDI Implementation Reply with quote

Hello again, guys!

Thought I would throw a quick Q out if someone could steer me the right way.

I have the SetList changing all my patches on gear using MIDI. All is good and thanks to KK, my MIDI flood problem is fixed.

What I am trying to do now is have my foot controller changes my SetLists and Slots.

I can't find anywhere in the docs on what MIDI event to send to the Kronos to change Setlist / Slots.

Anyone know where this info is or know what has to be sent to the Kronos?

Thanks very much,

~TJ
robw70

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need to assign the special function "Program Up" and "Program Down" using the Special Function Assignments for External MIDI Input page in Global P2:Controllers/Scales

Its' on page 795 of the Kronos Parameter Guide.

you can set an appropriate incoming midi channel and CC#. Then set you foot controller to send that MIDI event on that Channel.

As I don't yet have an external foot controller I've not tried this myself but seems straight forward enough.

Cheers
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robw70 wrote:
you will need to assign the special function "Program Up" and "Program Down" using the Special Function Assignments for External MIDI Input page in Global P2:Controllers/Scales

Its' on page 795 of the Kronos Parameter Guide.

you can set an appropriate incoming midi channel and CC#. Then set you foot controller to send that MIDI event on that Channel.

As I don't yet have an external foot controller I've not tried this myself but seems straight forward enough.

Cheers

I should have been a little more clear. I do have a MIDI Foot Controller, the Behringer FCB1010. Just don't know if it can send a proper command to the Kronos to change Setlist / Slot Number.

Thanks for the point to the page.....I read a bit more on it.

If anyone has an FCB1010 uNo, and have this working, HELP! Smile

~TJ
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tjdeerinck,

robw70 is correct, find out on which MIDI channel and also CC number your Behringer sends setlist number changes for the Kronos. Then specify those two infos in Program Up and Down parameters (page 795 indeed). Maybe you can define that as you want in the Behringer.

If you are not sure what is happening, download the MIDI-OX freeware which is very useful to diagnose MIDI stuff, then connect your Behringer controller to it and you will see which MIDI channel and CC # it sends the setlist changes. Then associate that stuff in the Program Up and Down boxes as mentioned earlier so that the Kronos responds to the commands as wanted.

Hope this helps.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a regular foot switch to increment to the next slot in a Set List, the same way you'd increment a program or combi.

The FCB1010 has 2 modes. In Direct Select mode, you don't need to use the Up and Down foot switches to select the bank first. This frees up those foot switches to be used as regular electrical foot switches instead of MIDI foot switches like the 10 other foot switches.

So, if you can use Direct Select mode, you can hook a patch cable out of the FCB into the Kronos foot switch to use to increment to the next program/combi/setlist.

Otherwise, you'll just have to hard code the bank and program number into the MIDI foot switches to select a specific set list slot (or program or combi).
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at my studio at the moment, but this might be a possibility:

Try sending MIDI CC# 96 (data button increment) or MIDI CC# 97 (data button decrement) while in Set List mode with a slot selected.
robw70

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program up and down are special functions. You have to map them to MIDI Input controllers - as described in the section I mentioned above. Then you set the FCB to the same CC and Channel as you set on that page.

Simple enough, no need for inc and dec button - which would only incr or dec what ever is selected on the screen as the focus. Where as Program Up and Down will always do what is expected.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set list also responds to regular program changes if you want to choose a sound directly. Bank number is set list number and program number is slot number.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos SetList MIDI Implementation Reply with quote

tjdeerinck wrote:

I can't find anywhere in the docs on what MIDI event to send to the Kronos to change Setlist / Slots.

Anyone know where this info is or know what has to be sent to the Kronos?

MIDI Program Change and Bank Select.

Operation Guide -> Set Lists -> Selecting Slots -> Selecting Slots and Set Lists via MIDI

Parameter Guide -> Set List mode -> Set List P0: Play -> 0–1d: Slot Select -> Selecting Slots and Set Lists via MIDI
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: