Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New territory, connecting synths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: New territory, connecting synths Reply with quote

I have a Minitaur, Karp, and Minilogue. I have never had analog before and over the last few years bought these, now I am curious just what sort of ways I can combine them. I have no experience on interconnecting sythns so if anyone has any suggestions or can point to some good reading to learn about this I would appreciate it! Thanks! Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multichannel mixer is a must, but you probably have one already.

This link may give a few tips. It's not particularly detailed, but should give an idea of what's possible.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/resources/setups.php
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little yamaha mg10 and my audio interface is capable as well of some serious routings. Thanks for the link!
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Answer would depend on what do you want to achieve?

Audio Wise
Do you want to records these synths in a DAW? > USE Multi Input Audio Interface

If do you do not want to record these as individual tracks or you just want to hear their output? -> Mixer should be Fine.

For a Mixer Yamaha MG10XU is Quite decent (I have one) and also has an USB with ASIO driver, so you can record into the DAW if you want.
But since you already have one, you can use that

MIDI
You would likely want these synths to sync to midi clock or with each other
or even be slave to a master.

If you synths have midi thru then you can get away with few just midi cables and Serial configuration, however if they are not then you will need a MIDI THRU BOX (for a star configuration) along with midi cables.
however your analog synths might be able to sync together through CV.

I myself have Quite a Complex setup and it can at times get daunting.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording isn't a problem but it is the ability to use the cv or audio to manipulate or affect the other. I guess I really just need to experiment.
I just don't want to smoke anything.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooooooo, how's your testing going??? I'm too shy to fry so i haven't plugged anything into the cv/gate/trigs yet. Have a Criklon on the way that will allow me to control +1, +5, +7 etc... I notice you were in a couple of Muff Wiggler discussions on how to build a multi port Attenuation box, that looked cool. I'm looking around for a Attenuator break out box, somebody probably sells these somewhere. I can send a couple CV through the MoogXL, but would like an independent BOB

So our KARPs have:
CV/OUT = 1 v/oct
Gate Out = +10 kdown; 0 V kup
Gate In = +10 pulse
Trigger In = +8 pluse

Just want to make sure that after we hook this up, we still have a pulse ... Smile

Minitaur is +5/-5

All the Mothers +5/-5

Now i did see that the AtAtAt device probably would do the trick, but we don't have a Modular rack to put it into, it would be nice just to have a AtAtAt BOB
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a schematic for a circuit that you could tweak for your needs. I am trying to find it on the net somewhere. I just don't remember what it was called. I also found out I don't have the needed cables so I need a pay day or two to put those together. I don't want to fry anything either so I am researching a bit to make sure I do it right the first time.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these folks out, then follow the buy link to dealers that carry all kinds of AT's

http://ljunggrenaudio.com/products/airtenuator.html

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120808
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67

Last edited by Hooked On Sonics on Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the current amperage you dealing with?
You could get away with a basic voltage divider circuit if the current is not much. Using like 1/2 watt potentiometer and 2x 3v leds as secondary load. Thad will work for attenuator.

For -ve values you'd need some op amp based schematic for inverter, plus a trigger.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our fear is that an instrument like the ARP could send a Gate +10 volt signal to a Mother 32 (Which we believe only will like +5/-5 sends) and over time, fry the gate in on the mothers. The Mother of course has another way of maybe handle that +10 Volt and maybe that's by using it's MIX channel, not sure.

We have a subscription to the education video site, Lynda.com which has a Video class on Modulars and Mother32's which is really cool, so now we just have to grab some popcorn and attend the Mother 32 video course, very well done.

Now we also have the built in AT on the Voyager XL, but it's limited. ROY Passive AT's are cool, but they do not have -0 to +10 turn dial markings on them, not even dashes.

Does anyone reading this know if anyone sells a multi channel Attenuator Break Out Box (BOB) with ports and well marked dials, not for modular racks, just to sit on a desk etc...

I don't own a Soldering iron ... yet Smile, but is there step by step guide on how to make one?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find a cv/gate converter that supports the offsetting. I have no idea what to look at. Nothing seems quite right. I wonder if there are any schematics out there that anyone here has sued. Then I could make a box to do just what I need. I wonder would a simple voltage divider work? I haven't built a circuit on my own in 20 years. i need to refresh my memory. I had a good ac dc power supply schematic somewhere I built once to use in trouble shooting. hmmm I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. i am going to fire off an email to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: