Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transposing a sound on one half of a split in Combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Transposing a sound on one half of a split in Combi Reply with quote

Hi
I'm programming up a Combi. Stab Pad on lower half, Strings on upper. At times I need to drop Strings down an octave, but the Kronos only seems to do this globally, i.e, if I hit button 1 it transposes the lower voice down an octave too.
I want to be able to keep my split, and just toggle the upper half strings up and down an octave without affecting anything else.

Can this be done?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at my Kronos but a quick way is to program two combi's, one with the transposition and one without, and switch between them.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also not at my Kronos atm, but another option is to program one of the switches above the joystick to change octaves.

One way to do this is to select the Strings timbre in your combi, select Edit Program from upper right dropdown, which will bring up the the Strings program. Navigate to the oscillators' octave setting, and set SW1 to drop an octave. Save. Back at the combi, SW1 should now be an octave switch just for Strings.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Also not at my Kronos atm, but another option is to program one of the switches above the joystick to change octaves.

One way to do this is to select the Strings timbre in your combi, select Edit Program from upper right dropdown, which will bring up the the Strings program. Navigate to the oscillators' octave setting, and set SW1 to drop an octave. Save. Back at the combi, SW1 should now be an octave switch just for Strings.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I've tried this in reverse - i.e, switched off the sw1 transpose button for the lower pad sound. The string has SW1 set to transpose down an octave and that setting seems to globally override the whole combi.

Any other suggestions warmly welcomed.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Dave. That's easy enough.

You'll have to program the pitch change in the program of the sound you want to manipulate via the Combi.

psionic311 actually was correct, and that's how you probably should approach making the layers switch the way you're asking.

You'd want to edit the string program itself so that SW1 or SW2 drops the strings down an octave. Also edit the other program so that you know the SW1 or 2 doesn't affect the other layer in the same way (Otherwise it'll seem like a global shift when it's not actually)

Think of it happening at a program level, not a global level. The assignments for the switches have little to do with the combi and everything to do with the program itself.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

You'll have to program the pitch change in the program of the sound you want to manipulate via the Combi.

psionic311 actually was correct, and that's how you probably should approach making the layers switch the way you're asking.

You'd want to edit the string program itself so that SW1 or SW2 drops the strings down an octave. Also edit the other program so that you know the SW1 or 2 doesn't affect the other layer in the same way (Otherwise it'll seem like a global shift when it's not actually)

Think of it happening at a program level, not a global level. The assignments for the switches have little to do with the combi and everything to do with the program itself.

Thanks for your efforts. I have tried this, to no avail.

At program level: switching off SW1 for the Pad, and keeping SW1 on 'Octave down' for the string on the upper half.

I've also tried disabling SW1 in Combi in the hope that the program settings would prevail instead. No joy.

The result is a global transpose where the split point gets moved an Octave - which is exactly where I had started.

I think I've actually found something the Kronos can't do! Smile
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveKeys wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

Thanks for your efforts. I have tried this, to no avail.

At program level: switching off SW1 for the Pad, and keeping SW1 on 'Octave down' for the string on the upper half.

I've also tried disabling SW1 in Combi in the hope that the program settings would prevail instead. No joy.

The result is a global transpose where the split point gets moved an Octave - which is exactly where I had started.

I think I've actually found something the Kronos can't do! Smile

I just a 2 minute test - works fine over here.

Can you share your PCG? I could take a look for you. There's got to be something being assigned to a global transpose in the combi that's overriding the settings. It's definitely doable in the Kronos - I do it frequently.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
another possibility is using the karma timbre off control or karma switches. You can use karma to switch between 2 timbres and control karma f.e. with a foot switch

best regards
Soulbe
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just create another program by copying to string one over, and lower the pitch in that 2nd program.

Then, create another combi by copying to original one over, and replace your program string #1 with the second one you just created.

In the setlist you can easly move from combi1 to combi2 to get the desired effect.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an easy way to do it in a combi:

Put the desired sound on two different timbres, but one an octave different than the other one, right next to each (like timbre 2 and timbre 3).

Pull the fader down on the one you're not going to use as the main one. Save combi.

When you need to switch octaves, bring the fader down of the main one, while pushing up the fader for the other one.

With just a bit of practice, this is really easy to do in half a second or less.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Here's an easy way to do it in a combi:

Put the desired sound on two different timbres, but one an octave different than the other one, right next to each (like timbre 2 and timbre 3).

Pull the fader down on the one you're not going to use as the main one. Save combi.

When you need to switch octaves, bring the fader down of the main one, while pushing up the fader for the other one.

With just a bit of practice, this is really easy to do in half a second or less.

Or, you could do the same thing in one move using the vector joystick.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or by using mute switches, just hit them both in one go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: