Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Care, use and environment for your Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Care, use and environment for your Kronos Reply with quote

6 year owner here. I baby my Kronos. I am attached to my growing SONG (files) bucket list. These are not throwaway Songs.

My 88 sits on a quik lock WS550 .

Its in my office, connected to a power strip.

When not in use for several hours or late nights, I have it covered with a clear plastic cover.

I have 2 cats and live in a fairly duty area. Lots of nearby agriculture.

My house is 3 yrs news. Excellent insulation. Office temps vary from 65 degrees to high 70's. Low humidity.

Most days, lets say 5 out of 7, Kronos is powered up 6 - 8 hours per day. I use the SEQ heavily, lots of button pushing.

The file system is organized. Maybe a list of 20-25 directories and individual files. I remove/offload finished SONGS to a USB then to my mac. I like a manageable file list on the SSD- want to find my work in progress SONG files quickly.

I am thinking down the road, another 5 yrs. There is a 50/50 chance I will keep my Kronos.

If Korg decides to launch a re-tooled more robust W/s ( they will not necessarily call it a Kronos) and if its 100% compatible with the SONG file structure of the Kronos, I would likely buy it. I actually hoped that Korg would have done this in Jan 2017. But I am not Korg's President Wink

And there is absolutely no assurance Korg will do this. I estimate the chances of this happening over the next 2 years to be 1 chance in 3 ( 33%).

We can bicker about this guesswork/estimate- I simply do not trust corporations
to support what I want. This is from 5 decades of working for them on the inside.

Being very conservative leads me to think about having coverage in some components over the next 5 years. Such as the mobo and power supply.

I am not opposed to getting a Kronos 2 over the next 5 yrs- I see that as a expensive 2nd option. Given I already have the same capability today.

If you think long term, and plan, feel free to share.

I understand some owners will say, don't worry, etc, etc. I understand all the above sounds like that. I like to plan and think things thru.

Generally, if you plan, you will not be caught or as surprised, in that the thinking was done early on.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In less than a year, i will be in the position of,
getting a KRONOS 2, or get a used KRONOSX, (i have X model)
Or getting an X mobo and lcd.
One way or another, i will have a backup KRONOS.

My current KRONOS, i got new in feb of 2015 as they were bieng discontinued.
So i figure it will probably last a few decades, maybe.
I have my KRONOS in a temperature controled little bedroom style studio.
It never gets moved, and i keep it obssesively clean.
There is the posibility that my KRONOS will outlast me, but just in case , i do not want to be without a KRONOS.
If KORG makes a new workstation within the time i am ready to make my purchase, i do not think it would work for me, because,
then i would be wanting a backup for the new workstation Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
In less than a year, i will be in the position of,
getting a KRONOS 2, or get a used KRONOSX, (i have X model)
Or getting an X mobo and lcd.
One way or another, i will have a backup KRONOS.

There is the posibility that my KRONOS will outlast me, but just in case , i do not want to be without a KRONOS.

If KORG makes a new workstation within the time i am ready to make my purchase, i do not think it would work for me, because,
then i would be wanting a backup for the new workstation Laughing

I know there is a Kronos in heaven.

And they are not expensive, either. Wink
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope i dont end up in h*ll.
I hear the only synths there are 90's era CASIO's. Laughing
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take any special care other than a daily brushing off all my gear.
Power comes through a decent quality ups (this one is most important).
98% time the failure is going come from inside, some electronic component failure which you have no control over other than decent environment so my Kronos and other live in same environment as me. A/C most of the time.

I keep Kronos switched on most of the time (24/7) that also increases component lifespan a bit (power cycling degradation ), but not by much and should not be taken into consideration, as you might end up spending more in power bills.it's just me being lazy. ☺️
Keep any food and liquids away (chips, beer etc) or someday they gonna take their revenge on you.

If your Kronos is outta warranty , it doesn't hurt to give it an internal service once or twice a year. Just remove bottom plate, vacuum and brush off, especially the heatsinks (alcohol wipes on heatsinks are fine) and will improve heat dissipation).

Don't wait till it's broken. Give it a maintainance service or get it serviced once in a while.
If the number of screws at bottom bother you, get a powered screwdriver.

A Large brush (like a paint brush), a tooth brush, vacuum and /blower air compressed air, some alcohol wipes or some isopropyl alcohol on fine cloth , contact cleaner/lubricator is all that is needed to maintain most of your gear.

Although it's easier for me as I come from engineering background, this not rocket science but basic maintainance that anyone should be able to do.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
I just hope i dont end up in h*ll.
I hear the only synths there are 90's era CASIO's. Laughing

all the garage sale PSR's are there. Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I

I keep Kronos switched on most of the time (24/7) that also increases component lifespan a bit (power cycling degradation ), but not by much and should not be taken into consideration, as you might end up spending more in power bills.it's just me being lazy. ☺️
Keep any food and liquids away (chips, beer etc) or someday they gonna take their revenge on you.

If your Kronos is outta warranty , it doesn't hurt to give it an internal service once or twice a year. Just remove bottom plate, vacuum and brush off, especially the heatsinks (alcohol wipes on heatsinks are fine) and will improve heat dissipation).

Although it's easier for me as I come from engineering background, this not rocket science but basic maintainance that anyone should be able to do.

I didn't think of that good idea- remove the bottom cover and remove dust bunnies, etc. I bet I find cat whiskers in their.

Wife and I turn off all our components, appliances, lights, etc when not in use.
Its a frugal thing. Monitors, at least ours, make noise and give off heat. We have 2 Samsungs, for example.

I am tempted to turn off our Comcast wireless network device every night just to annoy Comcast Wink
adamburgess

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding reliability: Mine gets silly humid heat on beaches... Sand, salt, water, heat... EDIT {Just checked the conversion for maximum effect (about 115 Fahrenheit)}

First time I've had the FAN!!! message come on a couple of weeks ago. Did the gig. Too hot to touch on the metal bits, but didn't fail me.

Roadies got it up the many stairs to 'ground level' (Bang, bang). In the car. That was it till next gig a few days later.

Never worried about it. Wiped it all down externally before back in the case. Indoor restaurant gig in the AC - all is good.

I babied it a lot for some reason early on with my 61. I trusted the Nord more, but, this Kronos 73 has had some tough times and is fine!
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
amit wrote:
I

I didn't think of that good idea- remove the bottom cover and remove dust bunnies, etc. I bet I find cat whiskers in their.

Wife and I turn off all our components, appliances, lights, etc when not in use.
Its a frugal thing. Monitors, at least ours, make noise and give off heat. We have 2 Samsungs, for example.

I am tempted to turn off our Comcast wireless network device every night just to annoy Comcast Wink

Smile
TBH, I like the space station look that my room gets when all lights are off, so I keep them gadgets on. tiny colorful blinkies all around Wink

but since you are married, you are rightfully excused. Laughing
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
GregC wrote:
amit wrote:
I

Smile
TBH, I like the space station look that my room gets when all lights are off, so I keep them gadgets on. tiny colorful blinkies all around Wink

but since you are married, you are rightfully excused. Laughing

GregC and amit,
I totaly dig what you guys said on this subject.
I keep my power requirements low as possible.
Frugal is my middle name, lol.
The spacestation look is the look i like for my studio.
I keep the lights low and my gear lights glow so cool in a darker setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: