Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Nothing to really Rival the Kronos...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Tue May 23, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
From my limited experience, it's almost always power supply and LCD.
So sad! My Yamaha VL1 display is dying (dark and bubble) and my JP-8000 display has a bubble as well. My SY99 backlight is dead and lost its patches.

This reminds me how important components are to us long term W/s owners.

Will start a new topic on somewhat related concern.

I equate how one cares for the Kronos to longevity.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
aron wrote:
So sad! My Yamaha VL1 display is dying (dark and bubble) and my JP-8000 display has a bubble as well. My SY99 backlight is dead and lost its patches.

If you mean Wavestation, I believe the same displays I refer to have been used in replacing the Wavestation display.

There are also companies that do backlight foil replacements. Where (once you have gotten to the display), you cut the old foil out and slip and solder a new one in. I tried that to see which works best and in case I couldn't do the cool blue display upgrade. The cool blue not only looks better, but as it runs off a 5V or 3.3V supply it allows you to get rid of the backlight inverter (which is usually whining after a few years).

I agree with you: how you look after things matters a lot, which is why I believe in shelling out for decent hard cases to protect my instruments as best as possible. You cannot of course remove the risk of random component failure. That is always with us, but TLC will go a long way. I have MIDI cables that have lasted 10 years+ because I look after them.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
GregC wrote:
aron wrote:

If you mean Wavestation, I believe the same displays I refer to have been used in replacing the Wavestation display.

There are also companies that do backlight foil replacements. Where (once you have gotten to the display), you cut the old foil out and slip and solder a new one in. I tried that to see which works best and in case I couldn't do the cool blue display upgrade. The cool blue not only looks better, but as it runs off a 5V or 3.3V supply it allows you to get rid of the backlight inverter (which is usually whining after a few years).

I agree with you: how you look after things matters a lot, which is why I believe in shelling out for decent hard cases to protect my instruments as best as possible. You cannot of course remove the risk of random component failure. That is always with us, but TLC will go a long way. I have MIDI cables that have lasted 10 years+ because I look after them.

Thats good information.

W/s is my short hand for Workstation
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look over here

http://www.tellun.com/wavestation/wavestation.html
https://www.newhavendisplay.com/NHD_forum/index.php?topic=1059.0

The second picture is what you end up with - its a bit darker on the SY, but not sure if that is a picture contrast issue - which they seem to suggest it is).

If you look at my guides, you can see the end result better on the SY.

My Echoes Music Website
Schmooster

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has gone way off topic now - I wanted to rant about Yamaha and their incistence in developing the bloody Tyros arranger, they remind me of the first Casio arrangers before Korg came and said "Look, if you're gonna make an arranger then at least make it intelligent - the i3 was it? Beautiful Keybed.
The OASYS was touching £5000 on release; if you didn't already have an EmuII then you weren't a 'pro' - the OASYS was aimed specifically at pro's - in today's cash it just isn't economically viable to build a 'modern' version - at least the Kronos meant everyone could have one unless you packed chickens (no offence to the packers, a job is a job, just the government for paying so little). Yamaha have made some great synths, the SY range for me, Kurz and the K series, Nord I've never touched because they sound like circular-saws and look vicious - I like blue - like the blue M50, crap compared to the M3 in my opinion, not the LE of the Triton anyway. The Triton Extreme with 128 note poly? The first workstation you could actually write a full composition with. And now the Kronos - a little of everything but really just HD-1 which I'm almost sure is derived from the PA1 - it's very reminiscent anyway, and in my opinion they should have gone to town on that and left all the other engines as VST which half of them already were anyway ten years ago in the Legacy collection. Why replicate? We have that already, concentrate more on the HD - we even have the Organs so why that in? Maybe the AL with HD, a modern sequencer and free Karma software woulda been nice. What is my point here? Oh yeah, getting back on topic - well I screwed that up - but I did get to rant. It's what I do.
As you were gentlemen, carry on.... I'll just feck off out the way and STFU. We get what we're given - and to be fair it's a business that they need to sustain AND demand growth for the share-holders, so in that regard, you're always gonna get almost everything but just not quite.... there's only so much flutiness a flute can have after all until you actually have to learn the flute. It's time for a new kind of sound altogether. Right - sorry, I was in my way and came back without actually going anywhere.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original post, I just took a closer look the Nord Stage 3 Compact which was just announced. This is an interesting keyboard with killer Hammond sounds, outstanding pianos, and the AL1 Synth. What's interesting to me as a gigging musician is the morphing / Layering / Split ability. You can instantly layer using aftertouch, has four instant split points with LED indicators (not new), had real drawbars!, and two OLED displays, one for programs and the other for the synth section.

After listening to the sounds and looking at the features, I preordered a copy. The 76key version is only 22lbs! Very gig friendly.

Comments?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you enjoy it! They were built from two very different schools of thought. The Nord interface is wonderful in a live situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: