Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compressing samples in PA4X using OS2.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolpal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Compressing samples in PA4X using OS2.0 Reply with quote

I have custom samples about close to 250 that I am compressing. It did warn me that it will take a long time - are you sure you want to do it! It has been since Sunday afternoon (July 16) and it is still not finished!

Can someone provide some inside as to how long should I wait?

Thank you.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, your first mistake was to not try and compress one and then time how long it take for that size! Then extrapolate that time times the number of files and the average size of each file. You would know exactly how much time it would take!!!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not normal , compression won't last over 3 hours for 400 Mb samples size !
Compression procedure verifies the integrity of each sample that it compresses and then save it which means that you can interupt
function safely at any time , even to turn-off Pa4X without corrupting the sample that was processed at this time by 90% else it will be turned to "gray" !
My guess is that Pa4X compression has stopped in a particular big sample that can't be compressed since there is a sample size limit for this.
So , stop procedure (or turn off Pa4X) , browse down samples in natural order and the first sample you will meet there without an asterix (*)
is the sample that can't be compressed , check its size and temporary delete all those samples with similar size else you won't be able
to compress the rest of your samples !
Pa4X/3X users , try to avoid compressing samples of a whole playback songs , this size of sample can't be compressed !

- Compression can also freeze in case of "bad" custom incomplete loaded samples that are marked as "gray" , so before compressing such a set
it's required to heal your SET first and delete all those corrupted samples using a time consuming work flow that I've explained in the past.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
coolpal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for great explanation. I did turnoff the PA4X this morning. Checkout to night to see where it got stuck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: