Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still struggling mightily with file management....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, still no real answer (sorry Jones, it's not only the travelling, its also that I want a solid backup in case of Kronos being robbed or broken). Really starting to think seriously about selling the Kronos and switching to an apple with plugins and a midi keyboard or something.

Really can't believe I am the only one with this problem, creating complete transferrable backups seems to me so terribly essential!

Maybe another try. What if I just copy all my files on the root directory of the Kronos HDD and put that in the root directory of another Kronos. And I would then put the latest userbank in the KSC autoload. Would the other Kronos then work as if it was the same as my own, including my homebrew samples?

Somebody, please!?
JFree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tag to this-I'm still trying to learn this aspect of the board. I've created a few programs with single (one hits) they seem to all reside on the internal HD2. The last one that I did shows up as "SMP". It lives in sample memory I'm guessing. I don't know why? How do I remove this from SMP so I can create new KSC files that don't also contain this sample? I'm assuming I either left something out or did something wrong. I tried redoing both and I just can't figure it out. Studied the manual, tried to find videos etc. Pulled out my remaining 3 hairs yesterday after spending hours trying different things.

I see all my older samplers are stored in virtual memory, this is in RAM.
Niven8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is such a shame that someone, who really knows his/her stuff, doesn't put together a video, move by move, of the various pit falls of our beloved Kronos that we might tumble into, regarding overal disk management. Qui has gone halfway and it is good, but clearly more help is needed. Like others, simple management is a fearful exercise! The mistakes that we might make need to be highlighted.....I have so many save alls that I really cant work out which variants I want to get rid of and which I want to keep. I ve got a second hard drive and I really dont know how I would save samples to it and then load them up again to use them...beginners stuff I know but....a 2min video of the process would go a long way. We just need a generous soul to help.
I suspect the number of "likes"... hits would be quite high!
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niven8 wrote:
.....I have so many save alls that I really cant work out which variants I want to get rid of and which I want to keep. I ve got a second hard drive and I really dont know how I would save samples to it and then load them up again to use them...beginners stuff I know but....a 2min video of the process would go a long way. We just need a generous soul to help.
I suspect the number of "likes"... hits would be quite high!

Add me to that list. Loads of save alls and just hoping I'll never need to try and reload them.....

What I don't get is, that if the internal drive is already full, how do you get to load stuff back to the hard drive from an external drive? Presumably you have to delete enough contents of the hard drive first ?!?!

As I say, for now I hope I never have to.
media-igor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot experimented with * .KSC. Often there were problems with the union, the merger of different * .KSC. I noticed the following: when you upgrade the operating system, the problems become smaller.
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
So, still no real answer (sorry Jones, it's not only the travelling, its also that I want a solid backup in case of Kronos being robbed or broken).

Has anyone got the definitive answer to this issue?

I need to use a hired Kronos and be able to load all my programs and samples.

Thx.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is FTP. I do *EVERYTHING* on both of my Kronos boards via FTP.

I find accessing the hard drive, moving files, making backups, etc. so much easier to manage. With something like Filezilla, it's literally drag/drop.

When I did a show a few thousand miles away from where I live, I had to rent a keyboard. What I did: I copied my entire SSD via FTP to my PC, and moved it to a USB stick. When I got the rental, I moved the contents of the USB stick to a folder in the SSD in the rental and used that as my "home base", which included auto-loading KSC's and such.

Before I returned the rental, I deleted the folder and removed the auto-load KSC from the settings. Easy.
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
My answer is FTP. I do *EVERYTHING* on both of my Kronos boards via FTP. .

Thanks enigmahack.

Could you elaborate more on the steps you take in the FTP process?

Cheers.
DCMUSIC3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give a clear and simple explanation of file transfer to another Kronos.

Cheers,
D.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only rule is simple. For each song I create, I create a specific folder in which I make SAVE ALL. But not only that : If my song have personnal samples within it (audio tracks) : I save also in that song folder all the ORIGINAL wav files in it. And each time I add a new bank of sounds, I verify that that the whole ensemble of the banks I have are really functionning each and every one. Then if in 2020 (If my Kronos still goes well !) I load a song created in 2013 I can play it exactly as she has been recorded. Each of her tracks and each of her sound in the good place as they were defined. And my internal drive has always had only one song : the last I am workin on. Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That you all have to understand is that Save all function saves only the currently loaded resources based on
the Preload mode KSC files !
If for instance , 3 folders with custom samples and their individual KSC files are saved/transferred in your HD SSD
and you have preloaded only folder's No 2 KSC , then only samples of folder 2 will be saved in SAVE ALL function.
You must organize all your custom samples stuff in folders , with all samples saved in Ram mode , that contain KSC
and custom PCG (only with library contents) files for every folder library , in order to reload them if your SET up
architecture will be altered in the future.

DCMUSIC3 wrote:
Can anyone give a clear and simple explanation of file transfer to another Kronos.
As a general rule to migrate Kronos custom sound resources in another Kronos is :
- Save your current PCG with all checked in your root HD SSD
- Save "sampling data" only as refferences to sampling data in your root HD SSD , this will save the overall
preloaded KSCs in one.
- Copy HD overall resources you can see there in a USB thumb drive and copy them into the 2nd Kronos HD.
- Load saved PCG file , put saved KSC file in 2nd Kronos preload directory and restart.
- Done

For non existing in 2nd Kronos commercial libraries , you have to install them and get licenses.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sweat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the time to learn and understand Kronos file management is vital. Before learning it, I was frustrated. Why is it so complicated? Now I know. I see the light. I see its power.

Seriously, many can give you quick steps, but I think Qui Robinez is best. See his post on page 2 of this thread.

However, after I finally and patiently read Dan Phillips (danatkorg, page 1 of this thread), it all makes sense.

Now I know how to save all my kronos files, sounds and user sample banks to a usb drive. Then load it to our new kronos at church (or perhaps another rented one).
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
Taking the time to learn and understand Kronos file management is vital. Before learning it, I was frustrated. Why is it so complicated? Now I know. I see the light. I see its power.

+1

There is no shortcut to master the Kronos.

Until you understand how your Korg machine works, you will make mistakes saving your stuff. The instructions from Dan have to be tried to be understood. They are also in the manuals. Save everything, then do tests. Lots of tests. When you can save without mistakes, you are ready to create all the combis and programs and saves and backups you need. It is not rocket science anyway. Same with sampling. It is by far my favorite part of the Kronos.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with the Kronos file management, beside you really need to read the manual and understand it 100% what is saved and what needs to be installed for backup to another unit being possible, is the friggin way Korg manages 3'rd party sample library keys.

I know some of the biggest celeb Musicians have no problem in having multiple sets of identical keyboard rigs with matching sounds and libraries installed, that they can send all over the world so they just have to sit down and play where ever they perform.

But Its simply not acceptable from a "normal" users pow that you cannot have some kind of "General" public encrypted key saved on a removable ssd that will enable ALL your personal keys for any 3'rd party purchased libraries you own, and rent a Kronos if you have to travel, or if you have a breakdown. Its not all of us that have unlimited amount of finances for multiple keyboards/libraries.

Its all in all absolutely silly that a library is bound to specific unit serial number instead of a korg registered username. It may be more hacker proof, but its sure not practical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: