Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Kronos Tips & Tricks Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the manual of PCG Tools I also made a summary/difference and schemes of the structure of programs, combis, set lists and the banks etc.

If you go to http://pcgtools.mkspace.nl/download.php

and select the manual to download, in chapter 4 is some useful information.
Btw, this chapter is NOT related to PCG Tools itself, it is just a clarification of generic Korg workstations terms/differences.
[/url]

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Addition Parallel Effect Chains
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
holdsg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more maybe as a Tip than a Trick

when playing live, use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsg wrote:
more maybe as a Tip than a Trick

when playing live, use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)

Always good to mention this. I would not be without one now!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never be without a ups on any device that uses hard disks.
Though with ssd the at-most damage will be data corruption, it's still severe pita. If not for long backups get a ups just to be able to shut down the Big K properly.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
get a ups just to be able to shut down the Big K properly.

I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but is there a proper way to shut my kronos down?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra Jet wrote:
amit wrote:
get a ups just to be able to shut down the Big K properly.

I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but is there a proper way to shut my kronos down?

shut it down from back button when the disk led is not flashing.
Usually Reads Ops are safe, but Writes Ops are not.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After recently trying to connect a USB/Ethernet adapter with my Kronos without success (even though it is listed as compatible in the Kronos manual), I decided to do a little mod in order to add a network FTP connection to my Kronos 2.

I reply to this sticky because I want to thank enigmahack for his excellent tutorial about how to set up a FTP connection between a PC and a Kronos. It might sound easy for those who are used to networks, but for dummies like me on the subject, it proved very useful.

Here is his tutorial : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=706459&sid=d3b9e6dc2ea2cf070bb662594010c87d
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before someone else ends up with the same problem as ChrisDuncan and myself experienced recently (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=114851)...

IMPORTANT : The new/recent TRENDnet TU2-ET100 adapters do NOT work with the Kronos-2 for USB/Ethernet connection, even listed as compatible in the Kronos manuals. My understanding is that the newer models of these adapters probably use a different protocol or something.

So the solution is to connect directly to the internal Ethernet port on the K2 MB.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that this adapter (TRENDnet TU2-ET100 available at Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet-Network-Compatible-TU2-ET100/dp/B00007IFED/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533366567&sr=8-1&keywords=TRENDnet+-+TU2-ET100+-) works perfectly well with my Kronos 2 for Ethernet connection. No need to direct connection on MB.
That's my experience.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I have to say that this adapter (TRENDnet TU2-ET100 available at Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet-Network-Compatible-TU2-ET100/dp/B00007IFED/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533366567&sr=8-1&keywords=TRENDnet+-+TU2-ET100+-) works perfectly well with my Kronos 2 for Ethernet connection. No need to direct connection on MB.
That's my experience.

You bought yours in early 2017. I'm referring to the new/recent ones from 2018. They are visually identical and might come from the same manufacturer, but do not work with the Kronos.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd share another Drum Track trick, based off the first post in this topic. So in the original post, there is this:

Using the Drumtrack for Melody lines/patterns

1. In Sequencer record your line.
  2. Make it into a Pattern (RPPR > GetFromMidiTrack)
  3. Convert It Into a Drum Track Pattern (RPPR > Convert to drum track patt..))
  4. In your program or combi, go to drumtrack and select this pattern as source.
  5. Set the output to appropriate sound / channel, and sync settings accordingly.

But did you know that you aren't limited to only note data for this handy trick? You can also create a user drum track pattern with only CC data or even Sysex data that you can activate with the Drum Track button to modulate one of your synth sounds for example. Such as recording ribbon, knob, slider movements, or modulate FX or pan settings to name just a few things. And they will always play back exactly as you recorded them, and these can be as simple or as complex as you need. The trick is to assign the drum track MIDI channel to match the timbre of choice, like a pad or lead synth.

Additionally, you can choose to activate these control patterns using various combinations of the drum track's trigger, latch, velocity and zone settings. For instance, if you record a filter sweep as a pattern, you can limit it's activation to just one key on the keyboard if you like, or even have it activate only by velocity from any key, or within a range of keys. You can choose whether to latch the pattern so that it plays continuously, or have it turn on/off when you press and release the keys, or any combination of settings. This trick might be useful for live playing with your band when you need to reproduce an effect precisely every time, or perhaps your hands are busy doing other things. Really, the sky's the limit here...

When you do record your pattern and want to convert it to a drum track pattern, ensure that the "Note Only" checkbox is NOT checked, otherwise all of your control data will be stripped out...
Purgatory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Humming Or Hissing Noises From Korg Kronos Fix. Reply with quote

Check and turn down the mic/line level knobs at the back of your Kronos to zero, there are two inputs at the back with dials turn both to zero/MIN.

Easy test is go to sequencer mode (follow instructions below) and listen for it if it is there then the knobs have been turned up. Make sure to raise the gain/volume up on keyboard to high then it is easily heard.

Steps to test if the inputs 1/2 at the back of the Kronos is doing it:-

1- Go to Sequencer mode.
2- Click audio tab.
3- Select a audio track 1-16 any.
4- You will hear a hiss/humm if the audio inputs 1/2 is turned up.
5- Turn down to lowest on inputs 1/2 at back of the kronos the two dials.
6- No hiss or humm but remember to turn them up if you need them with a line device or mic or you will end up with no sound and pulling your hair out again wondering if the input settings are wrong or the inputs are broken.

Seems to come up a lot recently on many forums and social media pages this issue so added here as a reminder for the new users and the not so new users that always seem to forget this one when helping others with a hiss/humm problem and 99% of the time it turns out to be this because some one fiddled with the dials or the Kronos was moved and the dials knocked.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Creating true PWM using FM Reply with quote

To faithfully synthesize pulse width modulation using FM synthesis, you need to set the modulator to a sawtooth waveform and set its phase to 90 degrees. Most forms of FM synthesis, including the DX series and its software emulations, cannot vary OSC phase. Luckily for us Kronos owners, MOD7 uses variable phase modulation!

Set VPM OSC 2 as modulator into the carrier VPM OSC1
OSC 2 ==> OSC 1
- on the EXI1 / Patch Panel tab, drag and drop a cable from OSC2 blue output to OSC1 red input

Now go to the VPM OSC tabs to set up waveforms and volumes:

VPM OSC1 (carrier)
mode = square
output level = 100

VPM OSC2 (modulator)
mode = saw
initial phase = 90
output level = 50

OSC2's output level acts like the knob on an analog synth that controls the pulse width of an oscillator. Since the carrier OSC1 is a square, lowering OSC2 levels means less modulation, which in turn means it sounds closer to a square. Raising OSC2 levels gives you a more pinched or nasally pulse sound.

To animate the pulse, creating that iconic PWM sound, you want to use an LFO to vary OSC2 level.

Set LFO1 to control OSC2 output
1) highlight / touch OSC2 output level
2) the upper right Parameter Details section now shows Output Level Mod
3) under AMS, choose LFO1
4) set its Intensity to 45

Slow LFO1's rate down to a more pleasant speed
5) touch lower right tab called Seq, LFO
6) select LFO1 tab
7) set Frequency = 25

There you go! Full PWM sound using a saw to FM a square.

(For some real sonic exploration, try changing VPM OSC2 mode = sin + waveshaper. Then go down to the Waveshaper section, and touch the dropdown arrow to open up all the wave Tables. First press the safety pin icon to "lock" open the window, so you can press different waveforms at random and keep the window from closing each time. There's tons of different flavors of bass notes here. Have fun!)

Last edited by psionic311 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating true PWM using FM Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
To faithfully synthesize pulse width modulation using FM synthesis, you need to set the modulator to a sawtooth waveform and set its phase to 90 degrees. Most forms of FM synthesis, including the DX series and its software emulations, cannot vary OSC phase. Luckily for us Kronos owners, MOD7 uses variable phase modulation!

Set OSC 2 as modulator into the carrier OSC1
OSC 2 ==> OSC 1
- on the EXI1 / Patch Panel tab, drag and drop a cable from OSC2 blue output to OSC1 red input

Now go to the OSC tabs to set up waveforms and volumes:

OSC1 (carrier)
mode = square
output level = 100

OSC2 (modulator)
mode = saw
initial phase = 90
output level = 50

OSC2's output level is like the pulse width. Since the carrier OSC1 is a square, lowering OSC2 levels means less modulation, which in turn means it sounds closer to a square. Raising OSC2 levels gives you a more pinched or nasally pulse sound.

To animate the pulse, creating that iconic PWM sound, you want to use an LFO to vary OSC2 level.

Set LFO1 to control OSC2 output
1) highlight / touch OSC2 output level
2) the upper right Parameter Details section now shows Output Level Mod
3) under AMS, choose LFO1
4) set its Intensity to 45

Slow LFO1's rate down to a more pleasant speed
5) touch lower right tab called Seq, LFO
6) select LFO1 tab
7) set Frequency = 25

There you go! Full PWM sound using a saw to FM a square.

(For some real sonic exploration, try changing OSC2 mode = sin + waveshaper. Then go down to the Waveshaper section, and touch the dropdown arrow to open up all the wave Tables. First press the safety pin icon to "lock" open the window, so you can press different waveforms at random and keep the window from closing each time. There's tons of different flavors of bass notes here. Have fun!)

Thank you but what engine are you using there ? You speak of MOD-7 in your post but it seems to be AL-1 parameters !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: