Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some frustrations with a good old friend.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Some frustrations with a good old friend. Reply with quote

Hi all Microsampler users.
I don't usually like simple complaining without any reason, but now there's really one. As many fellow Korgers know, I have been rocking this little toy looking machine for years and still do. While it's interface is not the most blind friendly in the world, it's still actually quite easy to use once knowing some tips and tricks like shortcuts. But here is the thing: while working with the machine in studio/producing context is no problem, using it live is another matter. There are mainly two big busters there: 1. no pattern chaining mode meens that we have to use this somewhat baby-like thing to change those patterns while it's all the way too easy to jump over or not jump at all when being on a heavy shaking stage as it was the case last week, and 2. even worse is this whole bank change stuff: it takes time to switch between the banks giving longer pauses in between tracks and doing it with this smoothly moving dial with a strangely designed head on it while trying to hit "or miss" the right one because of not seeing the dam screen and just trying to guess the positioning location. At the same time I have to talk to the crowd about the next track and multitasking is not my best friend.
At the same, if this machine breaks, I have no idea what to replace it with, as there doesn't seem to be anything like it on the market, so kind of love and hate situation in here.
Sorry for the rant, as I actually don't injoy that kind of action, but this time really had to get it out there. Of course I obviously use the machine for doing a bit more, than it's supposed to be used for, but actually it is in no way clear what Korg intended it to be exactly especially in terms of sequencing/making full tracks. On one hand it's quite capable of just that with some considerations and on the other really not, so a strange kind of a hybrid.
So yeah, I hope somebody will get my point and may-be has something to add to it, I'm all ears for just that!

Last edited by Darkside on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
eowyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darkside, yeah some of the limitations are quite frustrating. I'm saving for a digitakt at the moment. maybe next year I have the money. Only downside for me are the few availabe effects. maybe one can route the sound out to a kaoss pad and then back in for resampling, I don't know. Guess I have to investigate further.
eowyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, on another note: has anyone tried to mod the microsampler yet? for example installing a stepped encoder for the edit knob? is that possible?
robotunes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Circuit to sequence microSampler's Sampler section while I play the Keyboard section live. It allows for spontaneous remixing of patterns.

I never had a problem turning the microSampler's dial to choose one of 16 patterns, but being limited to 16 patterns that I could only mute/unmute loop/unloop on the fly got a little stale.

So it's not the cheapest answer in the world, but adding an external polyphonic sequencer will make you fall in love with the little toy all over again.
robotunes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Circuit to sequence microSampler's Sampler section while I play the Keyboard section live. It allows for spontaneous remixing of patterns.

I never had a problem turning the microSampler's dial to choose one of 16 patterns, but being limited to 16 patterns that I could only mute/unmute loop/unloop on the fly got a little stale.

So it's not the cheapest answer in the world, but adding an external polyphonic sequencer will make you fall in love with the little toy all over again.
eowyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, I haven't thought of that. Thanks, I'll try that out soon! Smile
robotunes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Circuit is a polyphonic sequencer, so you can trigger 6 microSampler loops simultaneously. Get creative with microSampler's Sample Start parameter, making it start on a different beat other than 1.

Lots of tricks to explore in the microSampler. It's a fun, secret weapon for people who prefer using creativity over buying more gear.
Darkside

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I decided to leave the sampler out of the live band context having recorded it's part as wav tracks instead. Yep, it's a little like using backings, but I still have stuff to do live as well, like soloing and vocoders. So now I'm actually waiting even more to go live without that constant fear of messing up due to interface of the machine. At home there's electricity buzzin', as ever and to prove this, heres another fresh track in my favourite style.

https://soundcloud.com/drxid/rhythm
Darkside

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have found a simple solution to use the material recorded out of Microsampler live without having to use a computer etc. A good friend sold me cheap a Digitech JamManSoloXT looper pedal, which can play stuff from the micro sd card.
Over quite some time I'm now actually performing also by myself and not with a band only. There are drastic changes to my setup. Here's an example of it with no backing tracks, but much more interesting stuff instead. It sounds somewhat noodly-doodly, as it was my first try gig with sutch setup, but I got a needed proof, that the concept actually works, so there will be more of that stuff in the future.
So yeah, take a look at last month's Erica Synths Garage with performances of four different electronic artists including me right at the beginning of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcuZTueLWM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: