Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinity always resetting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jer76

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Trinity always resetting Reply with quote

Hi all, just picked up a Trinity, added the PBS board to it, everything works fine. Recently everytime when i power on, it always gets reseted to default, i have to always reload the factory presets.. i did not get any low battery warning, i am able to see the PBS tri word on startup. Battery was recently changed. What could be the issue that it keeps reseting? Thank you.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the battery was changed recently, yet your problem seems to relate to the battery. Maybe something went wrong when changing or installing the PBS. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe you can check the battery voltage from the service menu. What does that say? Or alternatively, you may want to check the battery voltage with a multimeter while installed in the synth... Maybe there is a short, or a current leak drains the battery - have seen instances of that when the diode following the battery dies.
Jer76

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks, i ran the test mode, everything including the battery is ok except for one which says MIDI ERROR 1 STEP 1. Any advice on this?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loopback cable is needed for the MIDI test. Have you used one?

For the battery, did the diagnostics state any actual voltage or just 'pass' or 'OK'?
Jer76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks about the MIDI cable, yea i realised i need to connect it in to out.

As for the battery, it just indicated 'Ok', no voltages or anything else.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to continue to troubleshoot this, there are a couple of points I'd suggest to observe to diagnose the problem more accurately:
1) does it reset all banks, or just banks C & D?
2) if you remove the two 128kx8 SRAM chips (the two 32 pin IC's delivered separately with the PBS board - installed into sockets IC101 and IC102, marked 'PBS-TRI SRAM' on the largest KLM-1280 main board in the middle), do you still have this problem?
3) when checked 1) and 2) and you still have the reset problem, does removing the PBS board help? (unlikely, but maybe worth a try)

If you still get the reset problem after checking the 3 steps above, then it means that you have a problem on the main board (or the battery itself) and it is not related to the PBS upgrade. Diagnose and repair the problem just like a basic Trinity, test to confirm that it works as specified in the base configuration, and then only try to install the PBS extension and the two 128kX8 SRAM chips again.
Jer76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i power it on banks A,B,C,D resets, however the user samples are still on the Trinity.

I think i have resolved it. It could be the removable battery holder that i installed. Just 3 days ago the low battery warning popped up and i just changed the battery about a month ago. I ordered a similar battery (like the orginial) with feet already soldered on and installed that. So far the Trinity is doing fine and keeping its programs, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks alot for the advices!
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution sounds plausible - one of the disadvantages of holders that such problems _might_ occur as a result of corrosion, vibration, etc. (rarely, though). Soldered is the safest, though you'll need to solder again when replacing in a few years... Compromises, compromises... Smile

It is normal that the samples remain as those are written in flash-ROM on the add-on card (retaining data even when power is totally disconnected from the chip for decades), not into the SRAM chips where programs are stored (the additional two IC's plus another two soldered onto the motherboard) which require power - i.e. battery - to retain the data.

Hope it will continue to operate error-free! Enyjoy!
Jer76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Synthjoe, till today its still working fine! =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: