Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell Pad keyboard sets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Bell Pad keyboard sets? Reply with quote

Does anyone maybe happen to have some nicely sparkling Bell Pad keyboard sets & willing to share?
I would like to add some to my collection. Thanks in advance!

Play in style. Wink
mstodola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean FM type bells? I don't know how to do FM on the Pa4x. It seems to be sample based. Kronos may be able to help.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a Kronos is not really an option for me.
I'm still recovering from my purchase of the pa4x. (but NO REGRETS AT ALL!! Very Happy)

The "Rythmsphere" and "Moving Bell" pads are in the right direction.
The bells could be a bit more prominent though.

In my Korg TR Rack from 1998 (!) there are some awesome ones ("Adventure Bells" for instance).
They still kick ... after almost 20 years, these TR complex and motion pads!
(with internal memory of almost nothing... how did they do that?!)

Well, if somebody has experimented with these kinds of sounds, and willing to share, please send me a PM.

Play in style. Wink
triton_lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
In my Korg TR Rack from 1998 (!) there are some awesome ones ("Adventure Bells" for instance).

Completely agree.

That's why i still keep my triton. Newer korg series can't produce those lovely atmospheric and moving sounds. And your trinity rack is even better.

Fransman wrote:

Because of separately modulated dual filters. Now, with Gb of rom and far more advanced technology, deaf people are in charge.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:

The "Rythmsphere" and "Moving Bell" pads are in the right direction.
The bells could be a bit more prominent though.

If you like the moving bells and rythmsphere sounds you can easely modify them to your liking,
- just select the sound in sound mode,
- then press the menu button,
- then the Basic button on the touch screen,
- now you see the amount of oscillators.
- Probably the first one is the bell sound, select osc 1 in that case and modify the filter for that first sound so that it's more clear sounding. (or set the volume of osc 1 higher if you think it should be louder)
- then save your modified sound in one of the user slots and you have your new sound.

Motion sounds are also not that hard, you have 24 oscs / steps available in one sound to create your own motion in a sound. (each osc can start with
your own specified delay setting

Now when you create your own sound, just select one the included bell samples to start with, you can find the sample list in the user manual, but good osc samples to start with are:
1251 SynthBell
1252 Ether Bell
1253 Ether BellLP
1293 DWGS Bell1
1294 DWGS Bell2
1295 DWGS Bell3
1296 DWGS Bell4
1298 DWGS Digi1
1299 DWGS Digi2

You can also change the sample of osc 1 of one of the sound programs that you like, to change the bell sound.
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Qui, for the valuable information.
I will most certainly give it a try!

Play in style. Wink
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Qui,

I just created a great Bell Pad from the Rythmsphere pad.
Like you suggested, I changed the sounds in osc 1 en 2 to Ether BellLP and Synth Bell.
It's exactly the sound I was looking for.

Awesome! Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

Now when you create your own sound, just select one the included bell samples to start with, you can find the sample list in the user manual, but good osc samples to start with are:
1251 SynthBell
1252 Ether Bell
1253 Ether BellLP
1293 DWGS Bell1
1294 DWGS Bell2
1295 DWGS Bell3
1296 DWGS Bell4
1298 DWGS Digi1
1299 DWGS Digi2

QuiRobinez,
Thanks for sharing this information.
Do you know any samples in Pa4X for creating some Lead sounds, and eventually some advises for starting, like setup Filtering, LFO, etc?
I just want to experiment and learn.

Thanks
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:

QuiRobinez,
Thanks for sharing this information.
Do you know any samples in Pa4X for creating some Lead sounds, and eventually some advises for starting, like setup Filtering, LFO, etc?
I just want to experiment and learn.

Thanks

The synth in the pa4x is a subjective synthesis synth where the oscillators are based on samples. Now if you just want to create your sounds like any other subjective synth then the following samples can be used for the standard oscillators that can be found on other synths:
1273 Saw
1282 Square
1285 Triangle MG
1287 Ramp MG
1288 sine
1276 Pulse 02%

With this set you can create almost any lead you want that is based on subjective synthesis.

Now the pa4x Rom library also has some other samples that you can use and can give very interesting results. I call them the special oscs Smile

Special oscs:
1268 Noise1
1229 MS20 Synth
1230 SEM Square
1231 Chrom Res
1232 Compulsynth
1233 Monst Classic
1234 Monst Distort
1235 Next Dance
1236 Fat Synth LG
1237 Detuned Super saw
1238 Detuned PWM
1239 Polysix Unison L

When using this you can capture the essence of the synth it was sampled from.

Tips for programming leads.
The good news is that there are a lot of synth lead programming tutorials on youtube. Since the Pa4x is a subjective synthesizer, all those techniques can be easely applied to the pa4x. Just look for a lead tutorial that you like and try to program that sound with the standard osc sample set (saw, sine, triangle, square, etc). It shouldn't be that hard.

If you are looking for the modern dance sound leads, they use a lot of Pitch envelope en LFO tricks to create those very recognisable lead sounds. For instance LFO's with very high values assigned to the pitch or a very vast pitch envelope from high to low to give punch to the sound. It depends on the kind of leads you want what kind of programming technique should be used.

Now if you just want to get started, then just select a lead sound that you like that is already there in the pa4x and press the menu button and then the basic button on the screen. Then change the oscillator(s) to the numbers above and experiment with the filter, especially high pass filters can be really interesting for leads. Also different kind of effects can make a huge difference. But even only changing the main oscillator sound can give quite some interesting results. If you have for instance a Sine Lead sound and you change the Sine sample (1288) for the detuned super saw sample (1237) then the same lead would change tremendously.

It's really fun to experiment with!

I've been thinking of creating some youtube tutorials for the pa4x, but i saw that Sam_CA has a fantastic youtube channel with great tutorials already, so i'm not sure if creating tutorials for the pa4x would be of much value, since it already has lots of indepth tutorials.
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Qui, indeed very valuable information.
I never really did much in sound programming, but the simple tricks you shared can change that.
I'm surely interested in tutorials also!
And I think a lot of PA4X users can learn a lot from you when it comes to sound programming!

Sam CA's tutorials are also highly appreciated, all very informative and to-the-point.

Thanks a lot to you both for all your efforts in this community!

Play in style. Wink
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez,
Thank you for this detailed information, really appreciated.
I will sure use these information for starting and experimenting new sounds.
I agree if you can make some you tube tutorials (like the very good tutorials done by SAM) and we will have more sources/knowledge about using Pa4X more in deep.

Thanks
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
Thanks again Qui,

I just created a great Bell Pad from the Rythmsphere pad.
Like you suggested, I changed the sounds in osc 1 en 2 to Ether BellLP and Synth Bell.
It's exactly the sound I was looking for.

Awesome! Very Happy

GREAT!!!

it's a perfect way to create new sounds without knowing the synthesis engine indepth.

I will see if i can create a few Pa4x Synthesis tutorials in the near future. There are lots of tricks that can be applied to create sounds that not many people know.

For instance refering to the lead sound question earlier, most people just lower the cutoff value in the filter section to create the sound. But for instance nowadays the more experienced sound designers are using tricks like setting a very low cutoff value on the lead sound and then create a modulation envelope to sculp the filter sound.

The Pa4x can do this really well. It's a great technique to sculp your lead sound in any way you want, because with the envelope (created in the filter GE) you can determine exactly how the sound develops over time, the end result is very different then just applying a cutoff filter setting on the sound.

I think Pa4x Sound creation tutorials that explains those kind of techniques (there are lots of them) could be a good addition to the already available tutorials. The tutorial can show the sound differences between the different techniques.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qui,

I think that would be great to do some tutorials about the basic sound designing.

By the way I am looking for a guitar sound like Santa guitar (kind of modulation guitar sound if this is the right word to describe it)
but I don't know how to modify a factory guitar sound to get close to it.
I would embed a mp3 of the song (that I am looking for) here to give you an idea but unfortunately the forum doesn't let me to do that.
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui,

I think they WILL be a great adition to the already available tutorials!

Thanks in advance!

I'v seen/heard one of your Youtube videos playing PA4X: you are very talented and skilled, compliments!

Play in style. Wink
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui,

I hope you don't mind me sharing the youtube link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkHwGgpUe0

Very inspiring performance, I like it a LOT!

Keep up the good work!

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: