Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca FM -- Transpose slider not working. Firmware vers 104

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stinki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Volca FM -- Transpose slider not working. Firmware vers 104 Reply with quote

The Transpose slider/fader on my Volca FM has mysteriously stopped working. It hasn't suffered any notable accident or abuse. Moving the slider has absolutely no effect.

Meanwhile, when turning any of the other knobs, or moving the Velocity slider, the Transpose slider tries to "steal focus" -- "OCT" keeps momentarily flashing on the screen while adjusting other settings (creating a glitch-y, distracting display readout..). But the value for OCT can't be changed, the Transpose slider has absolutely no effect.

I de-soldered and tested the Transpose slider. It measures/works fine. it's a 10K linear if that's helpful to anybody.

I am reasonably good at tracing through circuits and using a multi-meter, but the smd/smt here and lack of schematics is quite a challenge..

I thought perhaps a firmware update might help. But checking the firmware on my FM, I get NAln 104. I don't see anything about version 1.04 anywhere online and it's not available for download on the Korg site. Wha? Attempting to update it with 1.03 or 1.02 gives me an error immediately -- "VerSion"..

Whatttttt...?

Any advice / tips anyone? Thanks so much..
stinki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone at least confirm that there is or isn't a 1.04 firmware for the VOLCA FM? It is weird to find absolutely zero information on it online, but there it is when I check the OS on the FM...

One possible cause of my issue -- am surprised to see the Volcas are made with Lead-free solder, considered much less durable than normal solder. Another reason I suspect a failed solder joint (essentially a manufacturing defect) here.

Going to take hi-res photos of the PCB's and try and check continuity from the Transp slider thru the adjacent traces and vias to neighboring components...

Also -- though the sequencer PCB in my Volca FM is totally clean, the voice/controls PCB was absolutely coated in flux, like it never got a proper wash during manuf. I scrubbed and cleaned it myself with alcohol and soap/water, dried it, but no change...But perhaps the flux coating already caused a short and fried a component somewhere..

I did the factory reset procedure, but no change. And as mentioned, updating/rolling-back the OS does not work.

Still very welcoming of any tips, even if it's just a stab...
jeftones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the official korg site has firmware 1.03 listed as the most recent firmware.
stinki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know.. That's why I'm looking for confirmation a 1.04 actually exists, as that's what my Volca FM claims to have. It seems unlikely a defective OS would read as the next numerical release, or that an OS would suddenly defect in this way without any incidient after working fine for months. But it's also unlikely that Korg wouldn't have any info on the latest firmware online. So I'm awfully confused here.
jeftones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 1.04 does exist it is not on the official site a so one can assume that it is not officially available firmware at this point. when did you get your fm?
stinki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 or 5 months ago. used, but like-new.

i guess i can try calling korg tech support, which I expect to be fairly useless but perhaps they can at least confirm the OS.

oddly the number for korg tech support is not listed anywhere on the korg website, but pops right up in google...so maybe the lack of 1.04 info is another oversight..

jeftones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm interesting. I know that retrokits has a custom firmware for the volca fm that is regularly used by the volca userbase. maybe that is installed on your unit.

https://www.retrokits.com/rk002mod-firmware/
stinki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no that's not how those work. retrokits firmwares are not installed to the volca. they are installed to the retrokits cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: