Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing this could corrupts the internal SD?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta-1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Doing this could corrupts the internal SD? Reply with quote

Hi!

I just got a question about how the internal SD works?

Few time ago I bought a new SD to switch the older one that became too "glitchy" for a new one even faster and better class.

Everything worked perfect! But...

Some days ago, I noticed that after saving and loading and resetting the PCGs repeatdly (I have different PCGs for different performances), then the glitches came back, the strange noises related to a faulty SD came back and everything turned as before. A nightmare haha lol

Today I decided to extract the inner SD, format and restore it with a new image, and it's working great again.

Could doing many saves, loads from different PCGs and restoring the default PCG repeatdly, damage the internal SD?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash memory devices used inside SD card and USB memory devices, and also SSDs (solid state drives), have a finite number of write cycles before the memory cells inside the devices are no longer able to retain their state. This is generally considered to be in the region of 10,000 write cycles. The controller devices inside SSDs contain wear-levelling algorithms that effectively lock out parts of the memory that are getting near to the point of unusability, and this is invisible to the user. The SD card specification has no detail regarding wear levelling, and it is up to manufacturers to incorporate this into their card (some, it seems, do not, especially in the cheap end of the market). 10,000 cycles would be a large number of PCG saves, although it is possible that the Krome implementation of PCG saving effectively uses many write cycles per save. To find out how many would require hacking the SD card slot and reading the data lines directly. Assuming single write cycles per PCG save, a PCG save every second for three hours would get to the 10,000 write cycle limit, if the new data overwrote the old every time. Wear levelling should mitigate this and allow more total write cycles.

Considering the above, restoring an image to the existing reformatted internal SD card is probably not a good idea if it already contains bad blocks. It would be better to get a brand new, known good brand SD card for this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: