Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos portamento setting in combi modes not stored in mem.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dslottje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: kronos portamento setting in combi modes not stored in mem. Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently bought a Korg Kronos (with the lastest OS) and I'm having a problem with the Kronos remembering setting in the combi modus.

When I'm in Combi modes, timbre parameters, OSC, portamento. I can change the portamento setting to a numeric value. That original program didn't have a portamento setting. But changing it the way i describe works great and adds portamento to the program in the combi.
The only problem is that when I store the combi in memory and I switch to another combi and come back to that stored combi, the portamento settings are forgetting. All other settings of the combi are stored in memory.

Can anybody tell me if this is a bug?
Am I doing something wrong?
What can I do to make it work?

Thanks for any reaction
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure of an answer here but i can point at some useful trouble shooting.
Some settings such as knob controlled settings, store in their given state but the actual knob position or the screen view will return to center and the center position will be offset to match the last stored value.
So any realtime adjustments from there will not be from center of the parameter range even though the control or screen view shows center position.

Check to see if the actual portamento response is there while the visual setting is not.

Did you do "Write Combi" after making your settings? Or disk mode "save"?
Write Combi in combi mode is the correct way so save settings. Also in global mode you should have program and combi write protection disabled.

Page 460 of Parameter guide reads as this excerpt below.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Portamento [PRG, Off, 001...127]
This controls the Timbre’s portamento.
PRG: Portamento will be applied as specified by the Program settings.
Off: Portamento will be off, even if the original Program settings specified for it to be on.
001...127: Portamento will be applied with the portamento time you specify here, even if it is turned off by the program settings.
Note: not all EXi support portamento, as detailed below; if they do not, then this parameter will be ignored.
AL-1, STR-1, MS-20EX, and MOD-7: portamento is supported
CX-3, PolysixEX, SGX-2, EP-1: portamento is not supported
This parameter can be controlled via MIDI CCs #05 and #65 (portamento time and on/off switch, respectively), subject to two conditions:
First, the Timbre’s Status must be set to INT. For more information, see “Status” on page 423.
Second, if Portamento is set to PRG, only CC#65 (on/off switch) will apply. CC#05 will be ignored.
~~~~~~~~~~

So,when you say "the original program did not have a portamento setting", is that sayng it is a program such as what Parameter guide describes~ "Note: not all EXi support portamento, as detailed below; if they do not, then this parameter will be ignored." Question
Check the timbre program to see if it is any of the listed Non-supported EXi synth engines for portamento. CX-3, PolySixEX,SGX-2 or EP-1. That will answer the question of if it is supported.

If it is a supported Synth engine program, then i hope somehow you find a solution -posted here for us to learn from.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dslottje,

Welcome to the forum. And thank you for bringing this up, I never before noticed that you can change a timbre's portamento directly from within a combi!

I was able to do it successfully from the COMBI => Timbre Parameter => OSC page as you described, changing the value from the default "PRG" to something like 74 for test purposes. Now my glockenspiel has the bends, lol.

I think you didn't save correctly, because when I did, I could exit the combi then come back and the glock still had the bends.

Use this shortcut to save your edited combi immediately:

REC/Write button (under the SEQUENCER transport controls)

Warning: this will directly overwrite your current combi. That's great if you're 100% confident you want to save this new version and not create a new version instead. Even COMPARE will not undo this save.

If you're NOT 100% sure you want to keep this new combi version, but instead create a new Combi version 2 in another slot, then use the upper right dropdown menu choice Write Combination. This will allow you to choose a new name and a new slot to save the new version, while preserving the original version in case you find you want to go back to a previous version for some reason. I have many "Just What I Needed 3" and "Jump 6" versions all over my Kronos
Laughing
dslottje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Hi dslottje,

I think you didn't save correctly, because when I did, I could exit the combi then come back and the glock still had the bends.

Use this shortcut to save your edited combi immediately:

REC/Write button (under the SEQUENCER transport controls)

Warning: this will directly overwrite your current combi. That's great if you're 100% confident you want to save this new version and not create a new version instead. Even COMPARE will not undo this save.

If you're NOT 100% sure you want to keep this new combi version, but instead create a new Combi version 2 in another slot, then use the upper right dropdown menu choice Write Combination. This will allow you to choose a new name and a new slot to save the new version, while preserving the original version in case you find you want to go back to a previous version for some reason. I have many "Just What I Needed 3" and "Jump 6" versions all over my Kronos
Laughing

Hello,

Thanks for you quick reaction. The shortcut to write the combi works great for a quick save. But it doesn't solve the problem. After writting the combi the Kronos it still forgets the Portamento value.
dslottje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I am not sure of an answer here but i can point at some useful trouble shooting.
Some settings such as knob controlled settings, store in their given state but the actual knob position or the screen view will return to center and the center position will be offset to match the last stored value.
So any realtime adjustments from there will not be from center of the parameter range even though the control or screen view shows center position.

Check to see if the actual portamento response is there while the visual setting is not.

The portamento response is there. It works great. But it can't be saved in memory. After loading the combi again, the portamento setting is back to "off" and not the programmed value "32"

19naia wrote:
Did you do "Write Combi" after making your settings? Or disk mode "save"?
Write Combi in combi mode is the correct way so save settings. Also in global mode you should have program and combi write protection disabled.

I used "Write Combination" from the top right pull down menu. Changing the value with Kronos Editor and then save it has the same result. All write protection is disabled (global menu)

19naia wrote:
So,when you say "the original program did not have a portamento setting", is that sayng it is a program such as what Parameter guide describes~ "Note: not all EXi support portamento, as detailed below; if they do not, then this parameter will be ignored." Question
Check the timbre program to see if it is any of the listed Non-supported EXi synth engines for portamento. CX-3, PolySixEX,SGX-2 or EP-1. That will answer the question of if it is supported.

If it is a supported Synth engine program, then i hope somehow you find a solution -posted here for us to learn from.

What is see is that you can change parameters through a combi, having effect on the program(s) you use in de combi. And it sure works. So I bypass the portamento setting of the program through the setting in the combi. Only, it can't be saved like all the other parameters in the combi.

The combi is saved in U-A004. The program on with I want to use portamento in de combi is I-D080 (Thin Analead).

Thanks anyway for all your suggestions. If you have other suggestions or you think my response doesn't add-up, then please react again. I'm hoping for a solution

With kind regards,
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's strange. It definitely works on this end. But I'm still on OS 3.1.2. Maybe someone with the most current OS can test if it works normally for them.
dslottje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Hmm, that's strange. It definitely works on this end. But I'm still on OS 3.1.2. Maybe someone with the most current OS can test if it works normally for them.

Thanks for your reaction. So it can be saved and recalled. So it seems that this problem is local.

I'm running Kronos OS 3.12 right now. This Kronos is purchased last month.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final thought occurred to me -- disconnect the Kronos editor (and anything else, no USB nor MIDI connected), reboot the Kronos, and try editing/saving your portamento change within a combi. See if that works.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Tried saving a new Combi with only Thin Analead in it, with portamento, and the portamento setting was saved.
dslottje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Hmm. Tried saving a new Combi with only Thin Analead in it, with portamento, and the portamento setting was saved.

If I try to do it as a single program in a combi, it works. Then i can make the portamento setting and it remembers the setting after storing it in memory.

But the combi i made contains in total 3 split zones. And of the split programs need the portamento setting. Used the "Quick Split" function the make the combi, then altered it

So I will make a new combi and I will try to make a split with the sound in it. So two sounds. One with portamento (right split) another without portamento setting (left split). I will look how the Kronos will perform on that setup.

Thanks for your reaction
tand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same bug guys. I think that's related with the new OS.

I've solved that copying the program using the main combi menu. That way the portamento will be saved.

I'm not near my kronos right now, but there's an option in the combi's main menu for copy the program to any desired channel, try to do that.
----

In you case, in order to fast find the program, in the menu, do this:

1 - You've already have the desired program in your combi, right? So, in your combi, hold enter and click on your program name. It will lead you you to program mode to edit it.

2 - Click on combination in your keyboard to go back to the combi mode.

3 - Now, in your combination, select the main menu option to copy the program to your combi. The desired program name will be in the menu. You won't have to search for it.

Now just copy the program with the desired effects and be happy.

If I was confuse in any step, please, let me know.

Hope that helps you dslottje.
dslottje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tand wrote:
I had that same bug guys. I think that's related with the new OS.

I've solved that copying the program using the main combi menu. That way the portamento will be saved.

I'm not near my kronos right now, but there's an option in the combi's main menu for copy the program to any desired channel, try to do that.
----

In you case, in order to fast find the program, in the menu, do this:

1 - You've already have the desired program in your combi, right? So, in your combi, hold enter and click on your program name. It will lead you you to program mode to edit it.

2 - Click on combination in your keyboard to go back to the combi mode.

3 - Now, in your combination, select the main menu option to copy the program to your combi. The desired program name will be in the menu. You won't have to search for it.

Now just copy the program with the desired effects and be happy.

If I was confuse in any step, please, let me know.

Hope that helps you dslottje.

Hello,
Thanks for your reaction.

I've tried your method. Copying the program into the combi. With or without effects, the setting of the portamento couldn't be saved. The combi fall back to the setting "off", in stead of the portamento setting 32.

Any other suggestion that could help me out?

With kind regard
tand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really frustrating. Sorry to not help you with the previous suggestions.

Have you already tried to reinstall the last O.S.?
dslottje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tand wrote:
That's really frustrating. Sorry to not help you with the previous suggestions.

Have you already tried to reinstall the last O.S.?

Hello,

It is new out of the box with the newest version of the OS.
I doubt it will make a difference.
But thanks anyway.

With kinds regards,
dslottje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: I've tried another workflow, and it worked - SOLVED - Reply with quote

OK.

The option Quick Split was the problem. After I configured my combi manual from scratch on (without using the Quick Split function), the portamento setting stayed in memory.

So in the near future i won't be using the Quick Split function any more and configure everything manual.

I wanna thank all the people who reacted. It helped me solve the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: