Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for long time Krome 88 users and new users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Questions for long time Krome 88 users and new users Reply with quote

I've followed all the relevant topics regarding Krome's keybed, but I feel like starting a new topic because I'm leaning toward buying one in a due time and am interested in a few things:

For those who are now using Krome for a one year or longer:
is the keybed really that prone to showing serious signs of wear, like loud clicks, poor performance and techical failures like improper velocity response and similar? Is it something that we would consider normal for a used keyboard or is it something to be concerned with and a serious deal breaker?

For those who bought Krome 88 only recently:
did Korg do anything quality-wise with newer units when compared to the first batch? Should I expect better keybed contacts and better built-in SD card in a new Krome 88 unit (bearing in mind all the troubles users had with built-in SD cards in their Kromes) or is it completely the same board like it was from the start? It's not unusal for manufacturers to improve the components when numerous problems are reported and dealt with.

Thanks to everyone who responds and helps me with my decision.

As to possible suggestions like "take into consideration Yamaha MOFX8 or Roland FA-08", I've already done that. Krome 88 is the best for what I need and want from a keyboard when compared to these other two obvious contenders, but if it's really that bed keybed-wise, I would probably look elsewhere.

Best regards,

shrike
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, guys, quite a few lookouts and not a single reply.
At least those who use Krome 88 for a few years now, please respond.
I am very interested in buying it and would like to use for many years to come, but wouldn't like to use rattled keybed, that would probably annoy me as hell.
Thanks in advance.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Krome 88, but from what I've heard the biggest cause of keyboard degradation is accumulated dirt.

If it gets bad, it can probably be cleaned.

If it gets really bad, beyond cleaning, maybe use an external controller? You might want to do that anyway, because the Krome's synthesis engine responds to channel pressure and polyphonic aftertouch, and the keyboard doesn't offer those.

Just a thought.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new Kronos owner, how would I be able to compare the quality control on my keyboard with one from eight years ago that I didn't own?

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
As a new Kronos owner, how would I be able to compare the quality control on my keyboard with one from eight years ago that I didn't own?

By asking the seller whether he had returns of recently bought Krome units, like ones bought during the current year? By playing the recently bought Krome and determining that it doesn't suffer from sound issues, which would indicate new ones don't have the same low quality SD card the original units had? By actually being a friend with some seller and having some info from such guy, like "the first units were returned very often, but recent units are improved and aren't returned so much or aren't at all"?

I hoped for two persons: one who would say he bought Krome 88 few years ago and still plays it with no issues, and other one who would say he bought Krome this year and can't determine any issues with the keybed or with the sound. Any of those two responses would nudge me towards buying the Krome.

In my country there is seriuos problem with inability to actualy test the board anywhere and our sellers are...well, it's a sad story, one about our sellers.

And only now did I realize you are Kronos owner, not Krome owner. Maybe you know that original Kronos 88 suffered from keybed issues which were adressed later and there were differences between various units, no matter they all had RH3 keybed. So, as a Kronos 88 owner, you could have found out that your Kronos2 88 doesn't suffer from issues some inital users had with their Kronos units.
tookiet04

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the 88 for about 2 years. Besides the normal sound quality problems on the stock pianos, and my Ab and Bb playing louder than it supposed to, I haven't had many upsets with this thing. Due to the forum, I've narrowed my problems down and plan to fix them. But the features this thing offers trumps all of that. Honestly, all I have is two problems. Not sure about how you guys feel, but two problems with easy fixes like changing the SD card and replace my key strips for those keys are worth it for this keyboard.
jcw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the 88 since June...no detectable problems except for the learning curve to function successfully with program editing.
tookiet04

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol right??? I'm still learning new things about my Krome!! 2 years later. I'd wouldn't mind, coo luld you make a separate post explaining program editing?
Artificial Language keys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: i love the keybed Reply with quote

keybed has been great so far. my first krome i did have an issue but i bought it at guitar center and i believed it may have been used as a show unit and repackaged. all i had to do was invoke my warranty and i received a new one. its been great so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: