Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genos new competitor for Korg pa4x is coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

Believe me it's there in 'Style Settings'....Tempo Lock.... have used it Very Happy

Gordon
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempo Lock Reply with quote

gordonw wrote:
BR asked 'Does it have the "Tempo Lock"? '

Yes it does.....a couple of clicks away but it's there.

Although Pete never thought it was on previous Tyros models, I previously had the Tyros 4 and am sure if you went deep enough, it was there too.

Gordon
Thanks gordonw for answering my question.

I've seen a Yamaha PSR 3000 in a store sometimes ago and asked the seller to show me the Tempo Lock of that PSR model.
He showed me that there is a Tempo Lock Feature.
But the problem was that he had to go through several pages to find it, unlike Pa4X that gives a Tempo Lock Button in the front panel.
I said this page navigation is way too long for reaching the Lock Tempo Feature during the live performance and it is not practical. And for this reason I didn't buy it.

In summary it's about Tempo Lock Button (Korg...) vs Tempo Lock Feature (Yamaha...)...Very Happy
So I am wondering if there is a Tempo Lock Button in Genos like Pa4X.
gordonw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BR

No.....there's not a 'one step' direct button on the Genos as there is on the pa4x. At best it maybe 3 clicks away but once it's setup it works as it should.

I've checked to see if it can be directly assignable to one of the many assignable buttons on the Genos....but unfortunately it can't.

Gordon
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Hi BR

No.....there's not a 'one step' direct button on the Genos as there is on the pa4x. At best it maybe 3 clicks away but once it's setup it works as it should.

I've checked to see if it can be directly assignable to one of the many assignable buttons on the Genos....but unfortunately it can't.

Gordon
Thanks gordonw for your research and time.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the info.
Quote:

One of the main reasons I cannot live with Tyros (and, seemingly, Genos) is that there are "performance" requirements that you have to dig for like the tempo lock, bass inversion etc etc...
Yamaha have never put much focus on "performance" or "recording" when you need that important control surface available.
I still can't believe that after so many years of arrangers, Yamaha still do not have the equivalent to the the Korg's "Fingered 1" (also like Roland, Casio, Ketron do!!)

Oh well, I'll give the Tyros 6 (Genos) a try out but will never buy it.
I was so hoping the some thought would have gone into its OS design and control surface but it really looks like another Tyros update to me.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

One of the main reasons I cannot live with Tyros (and, seemingly, Genos) is that there are "performance" requirements that you have to dig for like the tempo lock, bass inversion etc etc...

...or not having Balanced Audio Output Wink
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
pax-eterna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

Yamaha have never put much focus on "performance" or "recording" when you need that important control surface available..........

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Because by a long LONG way these are for home users...even though you hear from some folks using them live, when comapred to the home users this number pales into insignificance. Wheras Korg have always marketed the PA series at pro/live gig players and home users second. That is my view anyway Smile
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's summarize, is it really competitor for pa4? In my opinion of course but I wouldn't replaced it. Peace.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had the opportunity to see a release demo of Genos and a hands on that was brief as the environment did not lend itself to serious evaluation I will offer comment as follows based on what I saw and heard.

1. The Revo drums are great and have more realism than the drums currently available from Korg, convincing dynamics on Toms, Snares and Brushes, cymbals, hats and these are a new standard in factory sounds on such a instrument.

2. Guitars, All 52 of them and put through the DSP there are some great stars amongst the line up, especially stella is the Steel Guitar which makes the Pa4x Steel Guitar sound bad.

3. Organs, The Hammond sounds are also better than the Pa4x

4. Brass & Woodwind. Again there are some notable instruments that sound great with Super Articulation such as the Flugel Horn, Clarinet, and Brass Sections.

5. Pianos and EPs, There was a lot made of the CFX Piano and running through a Yamaha DXR Active system with a DSR 12" Sub it sounded Nice, however when I heard it via a Yamaha System which is toted with the Genos it didnt sound that great. The EPs were weak and lacked tonality and sounded nothing special.

6. Styles. There is a huge array of styles most which sound great and Korg would do well to take a look which I am sure they have. No doubt Yamaha and 3rd party style developers will support Genos which has always been a strong point for Tyros and presumably this will continue with Genos and again it would be great if Korg made more style packs available of this quality.

7. Build Quality is up to Yamaha standards but the Upper body which is black has a ugly white base which can be seen and whoever thought that up has made the Genos look like a Bontempi ! Not Pro Looking at all

Additionally I noted that the Main Control surface soon had finger prints all over it and marks easy, however in the weight department the Genos is lightwight compared with the Pa4x if that might be an issue.

8. The Screen, the demonstrator made continual references to See it, Press it, This is a new departure for Yamaha Arrangers but nothing new for recent PA models.

9. The Keybed, Simply put its awful, For a product priced at just short of £4.500 I was expecting that Yamaha would have seized the chance to use a semi weighted keybed and whilst the plastic lightweight Organ keybed will suit some, it would would in my opinion not offer the Pianist or Pro Player the experience to take the Genos into the Pro Arena.

10. How does it compare with the Pa4x ? as I stated at the start my own time was limited in a less than ideal situation, for sure both the Genos and Pa4x are arrangers, both offer a myriad of features, sounds and have different budgets but was I knocked out ? I must answer no to that I was expecting more to be honest especially with the build up and time Yamaha had to develope this new product.

My own view is that the Pa4x is far better built all round, for the creative musician the Pa4x offers far more in many areas and for those who are prepared to load 3rd Party samples like WavesArt C7 Piano you will be wondering what all the hype is with the Genos CFX Piano. After some degree of thought the Genos in my mind is more of an evolution as opposed to revolution but if you have a spare 4k sitting around to spend I am sure the Genos would provide many hours of enjoyment but I seriously question if its worth the far higher expenditure over the Pa4x, I will at some stage spend some time with the Genos but these are my initial thoughts based on the demo I saw and represent my own opinion only, curiously the Genos has a user manual I believe which runs to some 150 pages as opposed to the 1000 plus of the Pa4x make of that what you will.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
akyboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Killer Reply with quote

Genos Killer,

More info: https://www.facebook.com/DynamixAudio/videos/1740706749333146/

Well it might be PA4X killer too Razz

Killer or not looks to me that Dynamix is way to go.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm
What shall I buy.........
..A car?
..Put a deposit on an investment property?
..Cruise through Europe with my wife for 14 days?
..Renovate the bathroom?
..TOL Apple iMac and Macbook Pro
or.......
..Genos?

The price of this thing is a joke!!!!!!
I'm not going to bother trying it now despite the fact that it has at last landed here locally.
If I was wealthy, I would still find it hard to justify this "Tyros 6" with a new name.

I've been a Yamaha fan for many years and owned many of their keyboards (including Tyros) but I am now very frustrated with Yamaha - thought they would have really put some effort into this.
Yep - Genos sounds nice but it's another severely over-priced semi-lazy upgrade.

Boy, it's annoying - was so looking forward to this....

Pete Crying or Very sad
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that doesnt blow me away, leslie on the organ is enemic with fast rotor speed and depth still not nailed, organ sounds more like a euro organ than a Hammond and with some adjustments the organs on the Pa4x can easily cover that.

As Pete says all a bit of a anti climax
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karmathanever and Mintjamman,
I had a real ball playing it (new toy syndrome), I found the actual keybed a joy to play, it felt real quality and extremely light.
I love the sounds (which are of the usual high quality), and I can fully understand why somebody would want to own one. The bit I can't come to terms with is the exorbitant pricing of it. It's a genuine 'slap in the face' to all their loyal customers. I don't care who you are, £4,250 U.K. is a lot of money. Especially when I paid £2,200 for my PA4X. (new with a four year warranty. The Genos is almost double the price.
I got it totally wrong in thinking that the Korg PA4X would force Yamaha to rethink their pricing strategy as I fully expected the Genos to be around
£3,200 U.K. (actual purchase price, not retail). Unfortunately, the dealers profit margins have been reduced, so discounts will be virtually non-existant (for now anyway).
Chris
espaceV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
... organ sounds more like a euro organ than a Hammond and with some adjustments the organs on the Pa4x can easily cover that.

Wink

Not so sure ...
Already Yam calls EuroOrgan for marketing, when in reality it is not complete. Boehm and especially Wersi have 9 Drawbars only for percussion "dry"
Wunderlich (and Lambert too) using many time the:
2-2 / 3 + 1
4 + 2 + 1
4+ 1-3 / 5
4+ 1-1 / 3 + 1
4+ 1-1 / 3 + 1-3 / 5
With different levels sometimes. With a "dark" sound + effects
While Yam is not complete and offers only 2 registers!

The advantage under the Tyros4 / Tyros 5 / Tyros5+ (Genos) Wink
is that the Drawbar can be played with the effects you want.
even dry, or with Sustain....without hall etc (which allowed me to create "percussion" sample above.
In the Pa4x ... The Drawbar are "fixed" indeed, I think that this is not possible ... It is for me the great disappointment ... or I missed a walk (?)
The advantage of Pa4x is the ease with which you can create a "Sample" sound through menus ... because with Yam it's a calamity ... must go through an external software.
In addition incidentally, it's easier to play Wersi ... on a soft keyboard ...
My Wersi Gala, is very light, most of the users have never been plain
It's heavy to play (press) 4-5 sounds at a time ... and link them in Legato (on the Pa4x)
That said the Pa4x (at least Musikant version) has 2 Hammond super sounds of the 50s.

I found against consolle mixing (effects etc) on Yam much more convenient than Korg ... like changing the Hall, Chorus, EQ (eg) by sections (uper1 uper2 ...)
Needs too many manipulations through menus ,,,
On the other hand, the Korg offers a 1 Hall section (before the audio output 0> +50) very practical ...

chelsea4023 wrote:
I got it totally wrong in thinking that the Korg PA4X would force Yamaha to rethink their pricing strategy
Chris
+1 Wink
François Wink

ps
By cons ... what a pain to repeat on a keyboard so heavy ... tiring ...

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...someone here mentioned that they believed Yamaha had dropped their Genos price....well it has actually happened here - they have dropped it by Aus$500

AND.. Korg have increased their prices - PA4X-76 has increased Aus$900

WHAT IS GOING ON??????

Genos is $6500
PA4X-76 is $5999

So there's not much difference in the price now - just the quality of the keyboard!!!
Darn it, I can't whinge about the cost of the Genos any more Evil

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: