Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multisample question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitesnake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: multisample question Reply with quote

Hi, guys

I recently got my pa4x. I also have a motif xf7 and a kurzweil pc3 as workstations.
I tried the multisampler the other day and I noticed that the samples (not length limited in the sampler after I load and write them) are getting shorter and shorter as I play them from the low register to the high one. Of course, I'd like the samples in the multisampler to have a decent length, a playable length.
I"m not a sampler user, it's just a project, so please be gentle if I'm missing something obvious or I lack basic info about what I'm doing Smile

Thank you
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to resample a hardware or software.
For those who are not experienced with sampling,sampling a whole program/combi sound with or without effects is 6the easiest method,but it doesnt work always,or it will have quite many limitations.

What i usually believe is the best way of sampling another keyboard' s program sound is this :

1) Create an initialize program on the actual keyboard you want to sample
2) Go to edit mode and chose the multisample/waveform you want to resample.It will sound awfull at this point but that's exactly the pure multisample you need to resample.
3) Find the right notes for resampling.
Usually you can find them by playing with pitch bend while playing each key on keybend.(need a liitle experience on this and a good ear )
4) after finding the actual real notes,you can start sampling them using any software you want like samplerobot or extreme sample converter (just to name a few that do it almost automatically for you)
Try to sample at least 4 different velocities per note you want to sample.....
5) if you use one the above softwares,you will have your multisamples ready for you in various formats (akai,motif,korg,etc),so you dont have to do it manually exept if you want to load them on a Roland Fantom X/G etc....
But still you might need to loop the samples if it's strings for example or if you just want to make a smaller multisample in size.That can be done also automatically,but i prefer to do it manually using the recomendes softwares or just Awave Studio.

6)After all this work is done,you have to load it on your other keyboard and do the Program's design build up from scratch.
Try to have both keyboards close to each other so you can copy as many as possible of the parameters of the original sound to the new one.Usually you can come the closest is possible to the original sound by doing this.
And i say almost,cause nowdays the basic diferences are in the EFX's section .Some keyboards use many FX's ,some other's not...
You will have to choose what is the best for your sound,what is more critical etc.
After doing the final adjustments,quite many times you might be suprised how close or even better than the original your sound will come up to!!!!!

Hope i helped somehow here!!!!!

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: multisample question Reply with quote

I admire Korg 1 patience to explain 1000 pages of sampling workflow in 20 lines of text ! Laughing
The most important advice in introduction of re-sampling a keyboard , is that we must completely turn off
all sound's effects and LFO and reset sound Amp EG to zero attack and zero sustain time per oscillator !
Then after creating root sound , we built back all EG/LFOs and FX.

whitesnake
, your first mistake is that you tried to sample one single note of a non-analog waveform ,
and the next essential is that you did't looped that simple sample , that's why it ends very soon !
A native instrument's sound must be sampled at least per 3 semitones , all samples must be looped , truncated
and assembled in a multisample container (MS) according to their root note and upper and lower pitch stretching
to approach the neighbor note ... go figure !
As you probably understand , sampling is a very sophisticated procedure that you have to learn before you try
to experiment with it , so browse for many articles , info and video around net for essentials !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
whitesnake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for your answers and I apologize if I didn't make myself understood correctly and I made you write a thousand words, maybe without being necessary.

I didn't try to sample any sound from any keyboard. I loaded and wrote existing samples, then I pressed "menu" - "multisample" and set those samples on different keyboard splits. As I go up the keyboard (to the right) the same sample becomes shorter. That is the problem.
My guess is that the sample sounds shorter, the further I go, to the right, from the original note the sound was originally sampled in(for example C3)

I apologize again for my English, I'm not a native speaker Smile

Best regards
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesnake wrote:
thank you both for your answers and I apologize if I didn't make myself understood correctly and I made you write a thousand words, maybe without being necessary.

I didn't try to sample any sound from any keyboard. I loaded and wrote existing samples, then I pressed "menu" - "multisample" and set those samples on different keyboard splits. As I go up the keyboard (to the right) the same sample becomes shorter. That is the problem.
My guess is that the sample sounds shorter, the further I go, to the right, from the original note the sound was originally sampled in(for example C3)

I apologize again for my English, I'm not a native speaker Smile

Best regards

Is sounds shorter because it plays back the same sample (the lower key one) in a faster sample rate to produce the higher pitch .For simplicity , it actually plays it faster, It doesn't repitch it (that would require huge amount of dsp power per note).
As already said, you have to loop the sample (go to sample menu and not multisample menu for that) so it will loop itself endlessly!!
whitesnake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, will try that and come back with the result

I presume this (loop-ing) works for non evolutive sounds :/
But now I understand what was the problem - me Smile)

best regards
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesnake wrote:
Thank you, will try that and come back with the result

I presume this (loop-ing) works for non evolutive sounds :/
But now I understand what was the problem - me Smile)

best regards

It works only with sounds that do not change over time yes..
Well you can build any sound you can imagine with the sound engine of the pa series!
IMO it is one of the best sound engines available on the market allowing truly evolving sounds thanks to the delay function on each osc and the 24 oscs per sound that it offers.Combining these with the very good effects section of the pa4x and you can build amazing and very long evolving sounds without even using a custom sample/multisample!
So i would suggest you to dig into its synthesis abilities rather than resampling another keyboard for evolving sounds!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesnake wrote:
I presume this (loop-ing) works for non evolutive sounds

As I have explained before , you have to edit the keyboard sound before sampling it , make it constant
for sampling and then recreate it in Pa4X sound editor with filter evolution , LFOs and effects.
Also note that maybe this waveform you want to sample , already exists in factory Rom library !
BTW: You don't have to apologize , we're just trying to help you !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
whitesnake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing: maybe I've already got this sound on my keyboard. Maybe a better one.
But then again: I don't know how to put that specific sound in a sample, so I could use it in multisample afterwards.
For example, I need the Big Band Brass 2 sound(which is perfect for what I'm working at) to be assigned to one portion of the multisample - let's say D4 - D5 - but do I have to sample it through a soundcard and then import it back again into my keyboard as a specific sample? :/

best regards
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browse for a factory brass sound in sound mode , press menu in order to enter in sound editor ,
explore OSC there , from upper screen menu select solo OSC and from OSC arrow Rom browse
for factory waveform (samples) that might fit to your needs for any kind of sounds.
You have to read manual and understand all those functions there !

Hope this helps

whitesnake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

I read about samples, multisamples and the part about oscillators. I was actually familiar with the latter, since I own a kurzweil and...OMG! Smile

But I still couldn't find how to save a single osc as a sample. I can copy an osc to another osc but can't even write the osc - "Error: Can't save resource" :/

Could it be that pa4x is different than kronos in this matter, or what am I doing wrong?

best regards
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesnake wrote:
But I still couldn't find how to save a single osc as a sample.

Why to do that ? I don't get the meaning at all !
Like Kronos Programs , PaSeries Sounds use OSC the internal factory waveforms like Brass,pianos, drums etc ,
browse what waveform you need and just create your sound that might not exist in factory SOUND banks , that's all ,
you use samples only for external sampled stuff that you import or create in your Pa4X , read manual to
understand how sound engine works !

whitesnake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't have the time to exit the multisampler, play the brass part, and then enter the multisampler again. I need to play the brass part as a section (part) of multisampler, for example C5-C6, all along with the other samples of that particular song.
That's why I need the sound as a sample, and the solution I'm thinking of now is to download a brass sample. Only I couldn't find a suitable one.

Best regards
Bill1983

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: I'm about to Roll the Dice on Chicken Sys Korg Creator Reply with quote

korg1 wrote:
For those who are not experienced with sampling,sampling a whole program/combi sound with or without effects is 6the easiest method,but it doesnt work always,or it will have quite many limitations.

What i usually believe is the best way of sampling another keyboard' s program sound is this :

2) Go to edit mode and chose the multisample/waveform you want to resample.It will sound awfull at this point but that's exactly the pure multisample you need to resample.
Usually you can find them by playing with pitch bend while playing each key on keybend.(need a liitle experience on this and a good ear )
4) after finding the actual real notes,you can start sampling them using any software you want like samplerobot or extreme sample converter (just to name a few that do it almost automatically for you)
5) if you use one the above softwares,you will have your multisamples ready for you in various formats (akai,motif,korg,etc),so you dont have to do it manually exept if you want to load them on a Roland Fantom X/G etc....
But still you might need to loop the samples if it's strings for example or if you just want to make a smaller multisample in size.That can be done also automatically,but i prefer to do it manually using the recomendes softwares or just Awave Studio.

6)After all this work is done,you have to load it on your other keyboard and do the Program's design build up from scratch.
Try to have both keyboards close to each other so you can copy as many as possible of the parameters of the original sound to the new one.Usually you can come the closest is possible to the original sound by doing this.
And i say almost,cause nowdays the basic diferences are in the EFX's section .Some keyboards use many FX's ,some other's not...
You will have to choose what is the best for your sound,what is more critical etc.
After doing the final adjustments,quite many times you might be suprised how close or even better than the original your sound will come up to!!!!!

I can't seem to find anyone that's used the Chicken System's Korg Creator Sampling Software and Chicken Systems isn't going to purchase a PA4x for testing. It supports Korg PCG and KMP creation. It guaranteed to be Triton, M3 and Kronos compatible so one would think Korg KMP's are a true Standard.

I have huge libraries in my DAW and with the "Outstanding" Auto Sampler built into Korg Creator I should be able, in theory, to place some of my more beloved samples on my PA4x. If anyone has tried this and failed, please let me know.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Bill1983

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: I'm about to Roll the Dice on Chicken Sys Korg Creator Reply with quote

korg1 wrote:

I can't seem to find anyone that's used the Chicken System's Korg Creator Sampling Software and Chicken Systems isn't going to purchase a PA4x for testing. It supports Korg PCG and KMP creation. It guaranteed to be Triton, M3 and Kronos compatible so one would think Korg KMP's are a true Standard.

I have huge libraries in my DAW and with the "Outstanding" Auto Sampler built into Korg Creator I should be able, in theory, to place some of my more beloved samples on my PA4x. If anyone has tried this and failed, please let me know.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: