Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Mapping to DAW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyItsDouglas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Midi Mapping to DAW Reply with quote

Good morning,
I've searched the forum for a post regarding how to map the Pa4x MIDI to a DAW (REAPER or DP). Per the OM on page 900 I tried to setup the MIDI preset to EXTERNAL SEQUENCER. However, that option doesn't appear on my keyboard. Tablet is the only external device option. So I tried to just do the traditional routing of Midi IN/OUT mapping from the Pa4x to my DAW (Reaper in this case). Reaper sees the Pa4x (using the Korg USB Midi Driver) and I do the mapping but when in record mode I only get one sound routed to one channel to the DAW (usually channel 2). I have set Local Control to off.

Essentially I'm just trying to find out how to record the Pa4X Style Play mode to an external sequencer, isolating all of the style parts to their own channel. Heck, I'd be happy if I could at least get the Acc tracks in just one channel! At this point I'm not getting anything.

Thanks for any input!
Doug
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug...Those global Midi input options are only used if you wanted to trigger a parameter from a DAW or External midi controller. For example, if you want to remotely select a STYLE, KEYBOARD SET, A STYLE ELEMENT (such as Intro 2, Fill 3....) ....etc. Then you would need to set the global to a special channel.

For traditional midi recording you don't even have to to any of this. If you just want to play a midi track in your DAW and use the keyboard as a sound module....or if you want to use the keyboard as your input device to enter/record midi events in your DAW, you just need to make the midi connection. (Either using the USB or 5 pin midi cables).

Or maybe I misunderstood the question?

HeyItsDouglas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Sam,

Per your suggestion I didn't change anything on the Midi IN/OUT parameters pm the Pa4x and set my DAW to send and receive on all channels. When recording in the DAW from Style Play on the Pa4x, none of the Accompaniment sounds record yet the upper solo sound from the Pa4x records on all the channels set to record in the DAW. Perhaps it is something that needs to change in Reaper? I realize it is a less-known DAW but it fits my work-flow.

I will try Digital Performer to see if I have any better luck. But if you or anyone has some feedback I'd appreciate it! I have a feeling this is something very simple I'm missing.

Thanks!
Doug
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "SOUNDS", do you mean audio?

HeyItsDouglas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. No, this is strictly MIDI I'm working with. IOW, when attempting to record the Pa4X's Accompaniment in Style Play, MIDI output is not being recorded in the DAW. I have, for example, 6 tracks set up and while all 6 will show a MIDI signal, it is the same upper patch MIDI signal being recorded on all 6 tracks even though lower accompaniment is also playing. I hope that clarifies things. Smile

Doug
Bill1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi Mapping to DAW Reply with quote

HeyItsDouglas wrote:
Good morning,
I've searched the forum for a post regarding how to map the Pa4x MIDI to a DAW (REAPER or DP). Per the OM on page 900 I tried to setup the MIDI preset to EXTERNAL SEQUENCER. However, that option doesn't appear on my keyboard. Tablet is the only external device option. So I tried to just do the traditional routing of Midi IN/OUT mapping from the Pa4x to my DAW (Reaper in this case). Reaper sees the Pa4x (using the Korg USB Midi Driver) and I do the mapping but when in record mode I only get one sound routed to one channel to the DAW (usually channel 2). I have set Local Control to off.

Essentially I'm just trying to find out how to record the Pa4X Style Play mode to an external sequencer, isolating all of the style parts to their own channel. Heck, I'd be happy if I could at least get the Acc tracks in just one channel! At this point I'm not getting anything.

Thanks for any input!
Doug

I hope you've solved this issue but in the event you haven't, go to your global settings, midi, outputs, & assign all the output channels that you want received by your DAW. You'll find a new world at your disposal if you have a powerful, low latency PC & Sound Card. In my case I substitute many of my PA4X instruments for Native Instrument Kontakt VSTs and the improvement is beyond words. You'll need a round trip latency of no more than 12 milliseconds in order for this to work without unwanted delay, etc.

If you're only interested in recording the styles for modification, channels 9-16 are all that's required to be mapped. Unless the midi inputs have been modified from factory settings, recording/learning the revised styles sent back from the DAW should work without issue.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi Mapping to DAW Reply with quote

[quote="Bill1983"]
HeyItsDouglas wrote:

I hope you've solved this issue but in the event you haven't, go to your global settings, midi, outputs, & assign all the output channels that you want received by your DAW. You'll find a new world at your disposal if you have a powerful, low latency PC & Sound Card. In my case I substitute many of my PA4X instruments for Native Instrument Kontakt VSTs and the improvement is beyond words. You'll need a round trip latency of no more than 12 milliseconds in order for this to work without unwanted delay, etc.

If you're only interested in recording the styles for modification, channels 9-16 are all that's required to be mapped. Unless the midi inputs have been modified from factory settings, recording/learning the revised styles sent back from the DAW should work without issue.

Could you be so kind and attach photo showing your settings?
Which DAW do you use ?
Bill1983

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Using DAW and MIDI Controller Functions at Extremes Reply with quote

HeyItsDouglas wrote:
Sam, Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. No, this is strictly MIDI I'm working with. IOW, when attempting to record the Pa4X's Accompaniment in Style Play, MIDI output is not being recorded in the DAW. I have, for example, 6 tracks set up and while all 6 will show a MIDI signal, it is the same upper patch MIDI signal being recorded on all 6 tracks even though lower accompaniment is also playing. I hope that clarifies things. Smile

Doug

Hopefully my 5 year delinquent reply is no longer needed but just in case:

When the Korg PA4x MIDI Driver is properly installed, you should see an option in the "Properties" window of any DAW Output that reads "PA4x Sound". This should allow you to use any sample in the PA4x Sound Bank but you must use the correct MIDI Program Change Command to do such.

I'm currently in the process of setting up not one but three (3) DAW's to input simultaneously to my PA4x when desired. In addition to the three (3) DAW's, my KK S88 MK2, Arturia Keylab MK2, Novation Launchpad X and Behringer BCR2000 will all have direct access and control of the PA4x as my PA4x is my main MIDI Controller when using Ableton Live XX. I realize this sounds complex, if not bordering insanity, but the PA4x is very underutilized by most in my opinion.

With the support that Ableton Live offers in the realm of External MIDI Clock Sync, it allows so many things to be done in a Real-Time, Live, Environment. Instruments (VST Plugings) like Native Instruments Strum Acoustics, Electric Sunburst, Electric Vintage, etc, offer a level of realism that's simply not obtainable with just the PA4x.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
patpsc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill1983,

When you're done with your setup, would you let us know the result?

I'm trying to set up my 4X with Ableton Live (and a digital mixer) to record all the audio accompaniment tracks separately, but I'm still unable to do that.

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: