Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External MIDI Keyboard - Note Off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niddnet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: External MIDI Keyboard - Note Off Reply with quote

Hi friends and MIDI experts.

Greetings of the season to you all.

I have just upgraded my 'second' keyboard which plays through the Pa4x (it's a NEKTAR Impact LX88+) as I wanted the full 88 key performance range.

I've figured out a lot of the bits and pieces I need, things like assigning channels etc (the pads now play on MIDI CH10 for drums etc.)

I'm sure there was a guide somewhere with all the MIDI CCs on the PA4x to enable me to control other functions (volume of parts etc.) but I can't find it - does anyone recall seeing this? -- it may have been for the Kronos which I had before, so I may be wrong. --

The one BIG thing I have a problem with, is the NEKTAR keyboard doesn't have aftertouch, which means on the patches which have a release / note-off sound (pianos, EPs, Clavs, etc.) these are unusable on the NEKTAR because however soft I play, the 'note off' noise is played seemingly at full velocity.

I'm backing a full 5 piece live band, so things like that WILL be lost in the mix, so I'd quite happily disable them if I can. I've tried using the MIDI filters to filter various kinds of messages, but it's not getting anywhere.

The best I've found so far, is to assign the NEKTAR board to a separate MIDI channel (one that isn't assigned to a lower or upper part) and then manually scroll through the patches with MIDI messages - but I'd much rather use the touch-screen through live.

I'm really stuck - and I hope someone can help out. No pressure, I'm not gigging with it until Friday. (yea, THIS Friday haha)

Appreciate any advice or insight - thanks as ever!

R.
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole chapter on Midi. CC’s are listed on p901 (User Manual for v2).

Hope that helps.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Marcel Munter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Global/midi/midi in control/ than
fixed note off velocity
greetings Marcel
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftertouch has nothing to do with NOTE OFF.
Aftertouch is complete separate feature, is only trigger when you push down harder (more down) key.
Every keyboard sending 2 messages, NOTE ON and NOTE OFF, if keyboard velocity sensitive keys, then Both can have different values.
NOTE ON is depending how hard you press, same NOTE OFF, is how fast come back, in reality also depending (note off) on kind and quality of keybed, synth action go slower (lower vel.), semi-weight faster and full-weighted fastest.
Also in hard play when NOTE ON is high, NOTE OFF has lowest value, but when you play light (gently) is opposite, but this is only theory.
Sounds Developers, when they creating sounds, they most likely making piano sounds for best use on full keys. (common sense)
BTW, is nothing much you can do as quick fix on Korg except what Marcel Munter suggest, check your NEKTAR Impact LX88+ setting, maybe there is something making NOTE OFF on full velocity?
Connect your keyboard to PC and using DAW or other midi monitor check what value sending on NOTE OFF.
Hope this help a little. Wink
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
niddnet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nemik

I think you're right - after experimenting with the Pa4X itself, I presumed that the volume level of the 'note off' noises was dependent upon the aftertouch, as I could press the most gently to register a note-on velocity, and then get a louder note-OFF velocity.

It makes perfect sense that the Pa4X inbuilt key-bed will have a velocity attached to note-on *and* to note-off - whereas my cheap 'slave' board just sends all note-off with a very high level.

(and of course, yes, aftertouch - i remember seeing the MIDI data-stream which was sent as a response to pressure AFTER the note sounded - it's a shame it's a global, rather than a per-note effect, but that's another matter)

There have been other suggestions here that I can try, and with the extra understanding from all input on this post, I hope I'll be able to resolve it.

I had looked for the full MIDI control breakdown in the manual, but I couldn't find it in the version I was looking at. I'll get hold of the latest V2 manual (i was on the older version) so this might help.

Once again - the Forum to the rescue!

R.
niddnet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I failed at the first hurdle...

That setting "Fixed note-off velocity" was not present.

Then I remembered I'd been putting off the 2.0 and 2.01 updates for ages... so I took the plunge... what could POSSIBLY go wrong.

Backed up the necessary bits I needed (it's not much), pressed the button and waited. And waited. My goodness it took a while. Then it was done - happy new opening screen. Then I waited. Again. Even longer!

Eventually I got my 2.0 Pa4x working, put my stuff back, and sorted out the MIDI - PERFECT!!

Then I installed 2.01 - minor update - was done in 2 mins.

For anyone still hesitating - do it...!!

Would be VERY interesting if Korg actually started using the native resolution of the touch-screen - as others have noted, it's beautifully sharp in Upgrade Mode - but when you're performing, back to the old / half-resolution display.

Season's greetings to everyone - thanks again for the help!

R.

PS: I've also just contracted a chest and throat infection in time for Christmas and New Year performances - anyone has any good remedies to keep me alive enough to perform??!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: