Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA80 display

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodgeek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: PA80 display Reply with quote

I'm helping a friend cleanup his PA80 and one of the problems is the display. The display isn't blank but it's only displaying random LCD segments, no graphics or words are displaying. I've removed the LCD and cleaned the contact strips on the LCD but that didn't help.

What are the possibilities? Is the display driver board fried or does the OS need to be reloaded?

many thanks for the help

below is an image of what the display looks like when the ribbon cable is only partially seated. When the cable is fully seated the display blanks with a few random lcd segments. When function buttons are pressed, different segments will display but still no words or graphics. I'll take a picture during lunch of the display as it appears.

woodgeek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are images of the display:

mutley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

How you solv the problem
I'm with seem problem too
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt reinstalling the OS will fix it but you should try everything first.

Korg service center - looks like you may need a replacement screen

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two cables going to the LCD display. One for the LCD and one for the switches. Be sure to disconnect and reconnect the wider cable at the main board end too. The red arrow points to the LCD cable of interest. Make sure there is no damage to the cable by being bent or crushed.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
phatt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Thoraldus,, These cables and interconnections are the most likely suspect,, More often than not the equipment is fine but inter-connections fail.

Old wise man once told me; 90% of most Electrical issues are found in connectors.

Those type of LCD edge contacts are problematic by design and often a fail point. If you live in a humid climate or dramatically changing climate that won't help. A gentle wipe with pure alcohol along the contact edges before reassembly might help to remove any oxidation and re establish proper contact. (must be pure alcohol or electrical cleaner)

I've lost count of the times I've fixed computer memory contacts just by wiping the contacts with a clean page of printer paper which removes that oxidation which is not obvious by sight but the black haze on the paper reveals the surface was not clean.
Phil.
mutley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This saturday I will open my P80, and try to clean connectors
Will tell here for result (successful hope)

I open and clean budh no efect
mutley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Can I replace my broken Pa80 display with display from Pa50? Reply with quote

Can I replace my broken Pa 80 display with display from Pa 50
Are they same?

The answer is NO. I buy display but ...... sell him again.
xavierfrancis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I had opened my PA60 to clean up the contact strips as E on the 3rd octave wasn't responding at all. Then i had to open the display panel as the switches for the Drums track were not responding too. But I saw that the circuit was Riveted on the panel and there was no way for me to remove the circuit to clean the contacts. Just as i was giving up I saw that the was a little of the rubber contacts protruding out from underneath the circuit. I took a syringe and put a few drops of Surgical Spirit. After that a few drops fell on the display screen in the side near the layers... I noticed that it had seeped inside. I wiped the contacts and fitted them all back and saw that the display was all crappy. I mean no alphabets or figures but random dots and lines.

I don't know what the problem is. I opened them all back and cleant and checked the connections. They all seemed to be fine but just that I was not able to make out what was on the screen.

Can anybody suggest what the problem could be?

If I have to change the display... Where can I get one for PA60?

Thank you.
RTJNair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: PA80 LCD Display Reply with quote

A replacement is not available. I just replaced the dim and faint unreadable display of PA80 with a PA50 display. It worked fine for me.

1. The connector for the new one had 12pin FRC at both ends. One end of the old LCD connector/cable with the IDC connectors was cut and the FRC 12 PIN was joined with it. The cable unmbering is one-to-one ie Pin 1 (red wire) goes to pin 1 (also red wire) of the new cable. The display side has marking with "1" and the main board with a "triangle" for PIN-1.
2. The display seating was bit difficult and the casing was cut to accommodate the new PA50 display module. Ample glue was put to firmly hold it in the casing.

The bottom line is that the PA50 display is functionally same as I can understand.

I bought it from the following link.
https://www.ebay.com/i/174784013257?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e112358.m43.l1123&mkcid=8&bu=44893662308&osub=-1%7E1&segname=16TE179842_T_GENERIC_CT4&crd=20210528090000&ch=osgood&sojTags=osub%3Dosub%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Cch%3Dch%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA80 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: