Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M3 Keybed Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Korg M3 Keybed Replacement Reply with quote

I tried fixing the 2-3 notes of the keybed, and when I put back together, there were more missing notes not playing. So, for now, i will be using a MIDI controller to connect to the brain of the M3.

But, eventually, i would like to buy a new/used keybed. I heard they were made by FATAR, but I could not find anything. is there somewhere I can buy a new M# compatible keybed?

Thanks,

Taki
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: M3 Keybed fix Reply with quote

Have you seen Loraine Gordon's repair video on you tube for the M3 Keybed.
Hers was wet, but if you watch the whole thing especially the end,
she covers the fact that she had to open it multiple times and carefully put it back together.
In the end she got all keys working again. Maybe this will help you.
I have to take mine apart because it got rained on also and,
I have 6 keys in one spot that do not work. I am using a Yamaha KX88 controller for now.
Regards,

Tony

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8j9HTWYV4E
Rockitman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: M3 Keybed Fixed Reply with quote

Well, I took my M3 73 keyed apart and cleaned the contacts just like Loraine Gordon's video and it worked. Now my keys are all fixed.
Very Happy now.!
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M3 61 keybed You can buy if you cannot fix yours,
Regards, Brendan Greaves
taki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. the video really helped out. i will reopen and do what she stated soon.

As for the person who offered the keybed. Call me at 216-956-8617. make sure all keys are working and a reasonable price before you call.

Thanks,

Taki
taki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I finally got around to fixing my issue.

I foowed the video within the above link.

it took me 2-3 tries until everything worked.

First off you must be patient.

make sure you clean ALL portions of the contact strip and the contact board with Alcohol.

Make sure the rubber contact strips are fitted good and tight again. Then make sure you place the electronic board that touches the strips good. Finally, make sure you screw in all the screws on the contact board to make sure the connections from the rubber contact strips are tightly fitted against the board.

Now everything is working key sensitivity and everything.

If you take this board in to fix, i gaurantee if they have not fixed before, it will take them 2 times at least to get it working and will charge you a few hundrend for the labor. I think there is enough info on this blog page to try yourself. Of course, this type of repair stated from a key just not working right.. If you really abuse your keyboard, it could me more damages than just a cleaning.

Taki
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: key fix again Reply with quote

I had my M3-73 stored for a few months, went to a gig with it and 5 of the top most keys are not working, worse is that one causes a stuck note when played. So it's back to taking it part again. At least I know what to do.
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if you could do a strip down video, the one in the link above doesn’t give a great idea of what to do or how long it takes, I’ve doen one in the past on YouTube for my Nord Stage but I’ve never needed to take the M3 apart, I also have the 73 and worry about how quick / easy it is to swap keys over quick if I damage any as I gig with it regular,
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: i replied on the youtube REMOTE RESTORE works!! Reply with quote

i replied on the youtube
there are other things that need to be addressed depending on the liquid
or dust.
there are other things that work too depending on the contacts
silver is here
MG Chemicals 8339 Rubber Keyboard Repair Kit

carbon dot side is here
CAIG CaiKote 44 Remote/Keyboard Membrane Repair Kit

they also sell the carbon dots search that on e-bay
1.5mm ~ 10mm keyboard Keypad Repair Kit Remote Control Conductive rubber buttons

one of the search terms that worked is "remote button repair"

and "MUSIC KEYBOARD PIANO SYNTH REPAIR- Fix Conductive Keypad Switches & Key Contacts"

and "remote restore" there was a place in England seller called
"catmusic99"

they had pix of the pads in the auction!!

this is what the text was in the auction;
REMOTE RESTORE - Conductive Rubber Keypad Repair Kit for music keyboards, remote controls & phones.
Repairs conductive rubber key contacts and buttons in music keyboards
Includes FULL INSTRUCTIONS, a CLEANING & APPLICATION kit, and email help if you need it
Simple to use - clean the contacts, stir and apply….
10ml bottle - enough to repair 400+ contacts.
Also works for remotes, games consoles etc.
Please note, you will receive the items shown in the first photograph ONLY. The other photos are for information and any other items shown are not included!

REMOTE RESTORE is a simple and effective product for permanently repairing dead or intermittent keys and buttons in music keyboards with a keyboard or keypad that uses conductive rubber switches - most do. It also works well on TV, DVD player and games console remotes, alarm keypads, garage door openers etc. – in fact anything that uses rubber membrane switches.

If you've got an electronic keyboard / synth / piano that's had a lot of use or is more than 10 years old, there's a good chance that some of the keys and control buttons will be either completely defective, or will only work if pushed really hard. Many keyboards from the early 90's onwards use switches formed by pushing a conductive rubber pad down onto two copper tracks on a circuit board. This is done purely for cheapness - it enables manufacturers to make a keyboard with hundreds of key-switches and "buttons" from very few parts. Over time, though, the conductive coating on the rubber pads wears out and the switches fail. By the time this happens your unit is "last year's model" and a new conductive rubber keymat from the manufacturer is either unavailable or very expensive. Other problems can cause non-functioning keys, of course, but if the keyboard plays over MIDI but not from its own keyboard, and some of the less frequently used switches or keys still work, there's a good chance that it can be repaired by just restoring the conductive coating to the rubber pads. Remote Restore is a specially formulated coating that restores conductivity to the worn switches and gets them working again.

What's included?
Remote Restore - 10ml.
Printed photo instructions that assume no technical knowledge - these will take you through the repair step-by-step. If you can use a screwdriver and a paint-brush, you can use this product. The instructions are primarily for remote control repair (hence the name of the product!) but the procedure for music keyboards is exactly the same.These assume no technical knowledge - they take you through the repair step-by-step. If you can use a screwdriver and a paint-brush, you can use this product.
Accessories for essential cleaning & preparation of the pads and circuit board and stirring the product - all very important for a successful repair.
Application tool - a special micro-brush that makes it easy to accurately apply the correct amount of product.
Help - as much help as you need by email, both before and after the sale. How the switches are arranged on various keyboards can vary enormously, so if you are in any doubt please get in touch before buying and send some photos and details of your keyboard. There's a good chance someone else has already done it and we'll be able to offer advice on how to do the repair. For this reason we also welcome feedback on repairs to help other users. Like everything we sell, this product has been thoroughly researched and tested by us; all of the information in this listing and the instructions supplied are the result of manufacturer's advice, personal experience and feedback from users.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What's the difference between this and wire glue? Don't they do the same thing?
A. No! The two products may appear similar but are very different. You will see some retailers claiming that wire glues can fix keypads but it's not a good idea.... The various wire glues on the market are formulated as adhesives and dry to a hard finish. If you use wire glue on a keypad it will seem to work OK at first, but in a short time it will crack and flake off, filling the inside of the device with conductive flakes that short-circuit the other switches. The hardness of the glue will also scratch the copper tracks on the circuit board.
Remote Restore is specifically formulated for repairing conductive rubber keypads. It stays slightly flexible when dry, so it doesn't flake off with the movement of the rubber mat. It's resistance is also lower than wire glues (and often lower than the original rubber pads in the remote!), which makes the switching action more reliable.

Q. How difficult is it to use - I'm not very technical!
A. You don't need to be. Essentially all you are doing is re-coating the rubber keymat contacts with a new conductive layer. The hardest part is often working out how to dismantle the keyboard to fix it! If you are fixing a mains-operated keyboard please take care and DISCONNECT THE POWER CABLE BEFORE OPENING THE CASE!

Q. How long will the repair last?
A. If the instructions are followed carefully the repair will last a long time - the photos show the control pads and key contacts of an old CME Midi master keyboard - many of the keys were unusable, but since repairing it with Remote Restore it is still fully functioning after 12 months or so of regular use. Should it be necessary the repair can always be repeated - treating the key contacts with Remote Restore does not damage them.

Q. What else will I need?
A. This depends on the keyboard, but generally just a screwdriver or two to take the keyboard apart enough to get at the contacts.

Q. How long will it take to do?
A. Again, this depends on the keyboard, but it is important that you allow the product to dry for 24 hours before attempting to use the repaired contacts.

Q. What if I need help?
A. Email me! I will normally answer within 24 hours and will help as much as I can.

Q. Will it fix my car alarm keyfob?
A. It is suitable for some car alarm fobs. Many of these use tactile switches, though, and Remote Restore won't help with these. If there is a definite mechanical "click" when you push the buttons, they are tactile switches. If the buttons have a spongy, slightly wobbly feel (like a TV remote) then they are conductive rubber and Remote Restore should do the job.

Q. Does it always work?
A. Remote Restore will fix 99.9% of keyboards that have SOME buttons/keys that either don't work, work sometimes, or have to be pushed hard to make them work. Keyboards do suffer from other faults, of course - if NONE of the buttons work, then the problem is probably the electronics and Remote Restore won't help.

Q. I haven't spilled anything on it, but the control buttons on my keyboard are sticky / covered in some kind of oil. Where did that come from?!
A. This is another problem that affects older keypads - oil contamination. This is caused by a manufacturing fault. The keymat is made of silicon rubber, and the final part of the manufacturing process involves baking the keymat to remove excess silicon oil from the keymat. In many keypads older than 10 years or so this baking wasn't done for long enough - the excess oil stays in the keymat, but seeps out with time and the pressure of button pushes. Eventually the contacts become covered with oil and stop working. In this case Remote Restore will often help, but only after thoroughly de-greasing the keymat and circuit board. In bad cases the repair may have to be repeated periodically as more oil is expelled from the keymat.

Q. Which MIDI / music keyboards will Remote Restore work on?
A. Very, very many! This type of switch was widely used by Korg, Yamaha, E-MU and others from the early 1990's onwards, and is now pretty much universal. If in doubt, send some details / photos of your keyboard and we will help you.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: