Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2018 is near. What do you wish for? Your predictions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:
[

Of course that complicates a comparison. I know Kronos as a standalone
is ' better'. But the way things are going, platforms are combining.

I don't gig, so I don't have the restrictions. I am aware Kronos is the must have board for gigging keyboardists. I think the marketplace is much larger than the total of gigging keyboardists.

I bought an FA-06 and sold it after 3 months because of -

1. Cheap feeling small keybed
2. Lack of deep editing
3. Lack of sliders for live mixing
4. Sound remains function does not work between single and combi sounds
5. Lack of editing software
6. Limitation of loading more than 2 Axial sounds
7. No touch screen
8. No Setlist mode

I haven't tried the FA-07 keybed. It maybe better.[/quote]

I agree with some of your reasons. Most dislike the cheap 06 keybed.

07 is true synth action, a nice feel.

Obvious its not a touch LCD. That keeps the cost down. Using the arrows and wheel , INC/DEC takes practice, I agree. I think the screen is too small.

Your #8 can be substituted for. But we can either go up or down.

I was also attracted to the relative low cost. I think the FA-07 is good value for the $. If a keyboard player is positive Kronos is worth twice the money of an FA-07 , I can't debate a preference either/or. I enjoy both.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Of course they can make Kronos successor better processor screen ect question is why there is no competition out there as far as workstation is concerned I would think twice to get 3000£ plus workstations when as it is my Kronos can do everything I want .

I would like to have -

1. Rotary LED encoders
2. RT knobs more like Montage so that you can tweak pre-mapped ADSR etc.
3. Better Acoustic sounds
4. Lighter weight if possible
5. Faster boot time
6. Chord name display in all modes. That really helps in playing complex chord inversions.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330

Last edited by swarupmahapatra on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:
[

Of course that complicates a comparison. I know Kronos as a standalone
is ' better'. But the way things are going, platforms are combining.

I don't gig, so I don't have the restrictions. I am aware Kronos is the must have board for gigging keyboardists. I think the marketplace is much larger than the total of gigging keyboardists.

I bought an FA-06 and sold it after 3 months because of -

1. Cheap feeling small keybed
2. Lack of deep editing
3. Lack of sliders for live mixing
4. Sound remains function does not work between single and combi sounds
5. Lack of editing software
6. Limitation of loading more than 2 Axial sounds
7. No touch screen
8. No Setlist mode

I haven't tried the FA-07 keybed. It maybe better.

I agree with some of your reasons. Most dislike the cheap 06 keybed.

07 is true synth action, a nice feel.

Obvious its not a touch LCD. That keeps the cost down. Using the arrows and wheel , INC/DEC takes practice, I agree. I think the screen is too small.

Your #8 can be substituted for. But we can either go up or down.

I was also attracted to the relative low cost. I think the FA-07 is good value for the $. If a keyboard player is positive Kronos is worth twice the money of an FA-07 , I can't debate a preference either/or. I enjoy both.[/quote]

I am not a Kronos fanboy either. I am a gigging keyboardist and the Konos stock Acoustic sounds are not that great. And of course very high priced if compared to the FA line. But I think both brands have their strengths and weaknesses. And the game is not to give everything in one keyboard Smile

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
afr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trademarkia.com/ctm/nu-tekt-017425802.htm

Nu-Tekt trademark

Word Mark:Nu TektStatus/
Status Date:

Application under examination

Friday, November 3, 2017

Application Number:017425802Filing Date:Friday, November 3, 2017Registration Date:Not AvailableType of Mark:FigurativeKind of Mark:IndividualMark Distinctiveness:YesFiling Language:Not AvailableSecondary Language:GermanyLast Applicant/Owner:

KORG INC.

15-12, Shimotakaido 1-chome Suginami-ku
Tokyo JP 168-0073Correspondent:

MERH-IP MATIAS ERNY REICHL HOFFMANN PATENTANWÄLTE

Paul-Heyse-Str. 29

München

DE 80336

Logo Design Information

Design Feature:

(1) Several triangles, juxtaposed, joined or intersecting

(2) Triangles pointing downwards

(3) Triangles with dark surfaces or parts of surfaces

Classification Information

Class Code:015Class Description:Musical Instrument ProductsGoods & Services:Musical instruments, electronic keyboard instruments, synthesizers and synthesizer-based production machines, tuning forks and tuning apparatus for musical instruments.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
https://www.trademarkia.com/ctm/nu-tekt-017425802.htm

Nu-Tekt trademark

Word Mark:Nu TektStatus/
Status Date:

lots of triangles ? Could be a great new tuner Wink
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trident.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Trident.

I own a Trident Mk2. Massive strings sound ( especially when processed through modern effects) and a great poly synth section (could do with a little more modulation - and why it likely didn't sell too well - but - its standard polysynth sound is up there with the best of them - and 8 voices!).

Also - looks drop-dead gorgeous - though I feel that the Mk1 looks even classier with those early black knobs as used on the PS range.

Overall - the Trident is a GARGANTUAN instrument, built like a tank, with the finesse of a Swiss Watch.

Only in this era of clones would I too argue for Korg to re-released the Trident - in its original format.

It's absolutely magnificent in every way.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Trinity2112 wrote:
Trident.

I own a Trident Mk2. Massive strings sound ( especially when processed through modern effects) and a great poly synth section (could do with a little more modulation - and why it likely didn't sell too well - but - its standard polysynth sound is up there with the best of them - and 8 voices!).

Also - looks drop-dead gorgeous - though I feel that the Mk1 looks even classier with those early black knobs as used on the PS range.

Overall - the Trident is a GARGANTUAN instrument, built like a tank, with the finesse of a Swiss Watch.

Only in this era of clones would I too argue for Korg to re-released the Trident - in its original format.

It's absolutely magnificent in every way.

I have no idea if iconic keyboards from decades past is the co's key strategy for 2018.

other than keyboards from last year, I can't guess what Korgs strategy is for 2018.

we all know they are defined/identified by keyboards. But they sell in other niches and other product types.

I suppose NAMM will demonstrate what Korg's direction is, at least for 2018.

Maybe we will get the gimmicky 10 day countdown on some product late tonight or Monday.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - we're surely half-jesting here - it's a bit of reckless abandon - but with a smidgen of worthwhile consideration - Korg have been busy in the clone / reboot sector - they's flogged the MS20 to death and they've released perhaps the most faithful re-release in the Odyssey - in two sizes and multiple colours and control features - no mean feat.

So they are quite earnest about it, and while i'm not a fan of releasing past classics unless done well (the Boutiques are a a joke and IMO Behringer look even worse) - but surely the MS20, Odyssey, and Minimoog, are worthy of praise.

So in that vein, why shouldn't Korg revisit other past classics. They've had quite a few actually - I'm an owner of the MonoPoly and it's genuinely one of the most versatile synthesizers ever released - it's really fantastic.

So if the cloning of past classics is to persist, Korg could do a lot worse than putting the same care and attention they've given to the ms20 and Odyssey into some of their own past classic monophonic and polyphonic synths.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Sure - we're surely half-jesting here - it's a bit of reckless abandon - but with a smidgen of worthwhile consideration - Korg have been busy in the clone / reboot sector - they's flogged the MS20 to death and they've released perhaps the most faithful re-release in the Odyssey - in two sizes and multiple colours and control features - no mean feat.

So they are quite earnest about it, and while i'm not a fan of releasing past classics unless done well (the Boutiques are a a joke and IMO Behringer look even worse) - but surely the MS20, Odyssey, and Minimoog, are worthy of praise.

So in that vein, why shouldn't Korg revisit other past classics. They've had quite a few actually - I'm an owner of the MonoPoly and it's genuinely one of the most versatile synthesizers ever released - it's really fantastic.

So if the cloning of past classics is to persist, Korg could do a lot worse than putting the same care and attention they've given to the ms20 and Odyssey into some of their own past classic monophonic and polyphonic synths.

I think I see your point. I am not sure Korg is such a 'follower'. IOW, if Roland does boutique, Korg follows likewise. At a minimum, take some of the concept and reshape it.

I suspect Korg keeps a wary eye on Behringer. Once they flog clone an iconic synth, its all over for the 2nd manufacturer for that iconic synth. Same with a good software emulation, maybe.

I don't have the knowledge to say the Trident is fantastic and worthy of a reboot. If so, Korg is definitely aware and won't let a Behringer grab it first.

This is the kind of strategy/inside baseball stuff I am curious about.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Yamaha will be exhibiting over 90 new products tomorrow.
Here is Yamaha's special NAMM page.

Roland recently discontinued the JP80 en JP50 synths, so I'm guessing they have something to replace those synths as well (although the absence of any sort of countdown seems to belie this notion?).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
It seems Yamaha will be exhibiting over 90 new products tomorrow.
Here is Yamaha's special NAMM page.

Roland recently discontinued the JP80 en JP50 synths, so I'm guessing they have something to replace those synths as well (although the absence of any sort of countdown seems to belie this notion?).

https://www.roland.com/us/

I am curious about Roland, too, on the synth side. I think you are right, I don;t see any marketing gimmicks- typically these are for higher priced new boards ( lets say over $1500).

Roland is much larger than Korg, offers different product groups, such as pro audio, pro video, percussion.

They are possibly preoccupied with non synth new products at NAMM.

There is much more to NAMM and these cos than a new synth . A bigger picture is happening.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very promising and I quote from the Yamaha page:

Quote:
In the Keyboard product area, a wide spectrum of Yamaha products will be displayed ranging from premium pianos to new digital pianos and flagship digital workstation

Is Yamaha really reentering the workstation market with an exciting new product?

After all those years of fatigue, there seems to be hope again. I'm also very excited about Roland. This could become very exciting times... very exciting times...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be following NAMM?

It used to be Harmonycentral till it went awall

I usually follow on Sonicstate.com but they seem to be ever increasingly slow on reporting.

Any great NAMM update site suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Kevin.

(we're like junkies needing our tech 'fix' every January !).

Smile
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
Sounds very promising and I quote from the Yamaha page:

Quote:
In the Keyboard product area, a wide spectrum of Yamaha products will be displayed ranging from premium pianos to new digital pianos and flagship digital workstation

Is Yamaha really reentering the workstation market with an exciting new product?

After all those years of fatigue, there seems to be hope again. I'm also very excited about Roland. This could become very exciting times... very exciting times...

This is probably the Genos. Yamaha's been calling it a workstation. And this is the first trade show people will be able to see/play the instrument.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: