Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maxed Out RAM..ANY MORE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
playboy354

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Maxed Out RAM..ANY MORE? Reply with quote

Hey, I have heard that Kronos only gives you 3gb RAM Max and no more can be added.

If true, what do you guys who use a lot of samples do for adding more samples?

I have only 176mb left with an entire bank (U-CC I think) free that I can't use.
I have preload.ksc loaded as well.

I hate to remove any KSC's but I don't know how else to load the samples to have free space or if I can add more RAM.

Is there another way to load so so much RAM isn't used?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the solution or alternative is custom Preloads ( PCG files)

Lets see if others chime in
exsequor699

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use User KSC? Virtual Memory is the way to go for large samples.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Maxed Out RAM..ANY MORE? Reply with quote

playboy354 wrote:

I hate to remove any KSC's but I don't know how else to load the samples to have free space or if I can add more RAM.

Hating or not , this is your only solution ! any Linux based 32b OS supports only 3 GB , 1GB for OS & Rom resources and
1970 MB for User samples and Preload.KSC, not to mention the only 5 available Program Banks out of factory !
In this case you can either use many pairs of PCG & KSC according to your needs , nor unload from Preload.KSC Banks
that you're not using !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Disk, selecting a PCG and then loading it is basically the extra step you would have to go through to seamlessly have all the sample material you want.
It will take prep work to set the PCG’s up but once you have them set up, you just load them as interchange similar to calling up a new bank. Maybe some globak samole management surgery will be needed to integrate the right mix of factory and EX content and User content. And then have than made to an Auto load setup and then turn all that into the new PCG file.

If you are mixing User sample content with Factory Program+sample content, then your prep work to make interchangeable PCG’s can become complicated.
It depends on how many factory EX or other EX you use and how scattered they are across the various banks.

Although, once you do set it all up, it gets easy from there. You can clone the prepped PCG and use it for a new PCG that opens up further banking options.

You can fill the same bank as many times as you want and with different content in each instance, but each instance will have to be in its own separate PCG file that you can load to change out another PCG.

It will be like changing modes but with the added steps of loading a PCG file and then going back to your play mode screen.

For me, it would be complicated because i start with factory content and build custom samples to programs for layering them in Combi. I end up wanting all the factory content there always and as much content all together at once in one loading so that i can breeze through for workable material that sparks good ideas. I could still do this with material scattered around multiple PCG files but i can easily get lost and end up having to redo again and again, tedious prep work in organizing PCG’s that let me pair what samples i want in them.
If two samples are not in the same PCG file, there is a slim chance you will discover them together in a layer for any potential they have to work well together.
I like the idea of an external sample player with more flexible memory utility because i can always layer an external device into any combi in any PCG load. No need Global Sample management surgery and disk mode work to prep before i can even hear them together to decide if it was all a waste of time or not.

I try not to get spoiled though, because kronos still has the best memory and internal storage for any workstation out there.

Lucky for me, i don’t have the capacity/ability to work with a fully maxed out kronos PCG load. By the time i fill my kronos to the max capacity, i would be swimming in more stuff than i know what to do with.
But I also like having stuff i cannot use, just to have it -for just in case. And thats where Multiple PCG files ,with different sample bank content in each, comes in to make for unlimited content when you factor in external USB drive.
playboy354

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I felt it was the case about limited ram.
I wish Kronos was like a true computer that you could upgrade ram continuously or had DAW integration to the point where it is easily mirrored (programs, basic effects etc) in a DAW for easy multi track recording .

I have it filled because I have sounsdsets representing TRAP, POP, TROPICAL HOUSE, and taylor swift style guitars etc. Kronos has good sounds but a lot do not compare to authentic radio ready sounds etc.

Thanks for help
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playboy354 wrote:
Yea I felt it was the case about limited ram.
I wish Kronos was like a true computer that you could upgrade ram continuously or had DAW integration to the point where it is easily mirrored (programs, basic effects etc) in a DAW for easy multi track recording .

I have it filled because I have sounsdsets representing TRAP, POP, TROPICAL HOUSE, and taylor swift style guitars etc. Kronos has good sounds but a lot do not compare to authentic radio ready sounds etc.

Thanks for help

Well, it is over 7 yrs old. From that perspective, its close to perfect as a w/s.

It does some guitars decently. The FX are good but not numerous.

If you try to look at the bigger picture, there are 1000 different guitars to ' cover'. High level programming could cover some of that diversity. I would purchase that deep programming if it was available.

This is not about 3rd party samples. Or Kid Nepro. Its the ace programming Korg had when they launched Kronos. They did some KRS stuff some yrs ago.

But nothing new or useful for some time.

With 10,000 K's around the world, I think there is a potential need to fill if someone is industrious enough and will to put in the time.

Dave Champaign is a good example of the talent that was out there. But that might be in the past.

Time moves on. I think its all about today and using the best tools.

And your DAW might be platform that will always stay current. I suppose that might be 1 reason why many musicians prefer their DAW . Or rely on it for ' whats happening today '
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as far as sample libraries.... What's needed that's not available already...? Guitars and what else

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: