Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storing custom combinations - how many are allowed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennasage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Storing custom combinations - how many are allowed? Reply with quote

I am programming for a theatrical production and need over 300 sounds, programmed in order for this show. I've done this before, but have not needed so many sounds. Some will be combi patches, and some simple. I have done this before, and stored them in the User bank, but the bank only holds 127 sounds, obv. Can they be stored anywhere else?

Thanks in advance. And, sorry if this has already been addressed.

Brenna
bonym

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the kross 1 or 2, i thought you had the opportunity to load up to 512 Patches on the user bank, but I can only talk about the kross 2 in that respect.
brennasage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

Thanks, bonym. Your question just answered my question. I just checked to see when the Kross 2 was released, and it was after I purchased my 61-key board. So, I am buying the 2. It will be my older board that will have the limitations.

Thanks!

brenna
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On the Kross 1, you can edit the first 512 preloaded programs as well and overwrite the original one. Or store the edited preloaded program to the user bank or to another preloaded location within the same category. This may be quite limiting.

But, using the editor and the PCG tools on a PC, it might be possible to move programs from the user bank to whatever location, store the reshuffled programs in a PCG and load it back in the board. The preloaded programs can be restored afterwards. So this gives in theory a set of 640 "user" programs.

I did not try it myself...

Have fun.
brennasage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess I don't have to buy another keyboard. Now I just need to look up what PCG is. Smile

Brenna
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

PCG is a file holding all the settings of your board (programs, combis, songs, global settings). It can be dumped by the Kross on a SD card.
The PCG tool allows you to open the file and reorganize them. E.g. change the order, get programs from different PCG files and combine them in a new one and so on. See http://pcgtools.mkspace.nl/.
Pay attention, combis/sequences refer to program numbers. If you reorder your programs, the combis may start to sound weird, because they still refer to the same program number wich is now a different program.

Have fun.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I tried it out Smile

I edited on the Kross a piano sound and stored it in user space. I exported the settings as PCG file on a SD card.

On my PC using the PCG Tool, I opened the PCG file on the SD card. Using the tool, I deleted a standard harp sound (part of the Guitar category) and moved my edited user sound to that free location. Saved the PCG file under a new name.

With the SD card back in the Kross, I loaded the new PCG file and hurray, the sound that was previously a user one is now listed in the PIANO category.

So it works, though some planning ahead may be needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: