Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to keep a note playing without doing it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatun2010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

Hi, I´m looking a way to make something very simple. I've created a sample based program and I want to play E7 and make the sound holds on "forever".
I've tried adjusting Release but in the end it stops. Also, I've been looking something in KARMA and latch but no preset do that (I guess).

Any idea?

Otherwise I know I can do it with SEQ but I'm just trying to do it in a combi.

Thanks in advance!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at my Kronos atm, but on something like the Basic or Common tab there is a page with a picture of keyboard ranges. One of the checkboxes there says "Hold". That will do what you want.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg nanoPAD2 can be set so that any of its pads can be set to have a toggle action.

tatun2010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I'm not at my Kronos atm, but on something like the Basic or Common tab there is a page with a picture of keyboard ranges. One of the checkboxes there says "Hold". That will do what you want.

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

tatun2010 wrote:
Hi, I´m looking a way to make something very simple. I've created a sample based program and I want to play E7 and make the sound holds on "forever".
I've tried adjusting Release but in the end it stops. Also, I've been looking something in KARMA and latch but no preset do that (I guess).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Since you’re in Combi mode you can use Tone Adjust to set the timber to hold without modifying the actual program. I have a few sounds I use as drone sounds and made two versions, one normal and one to hold. Takes up unnecessary program space now that I have learned to use Tone Adjust in the Combi.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:

Since you’re in Combi mode you can use Tone Adjust to set the timber to hold without modifying the actual program. I have a few sounds I use as drone sounds and made two versions, one normal and one to hold. Takes up unnecessary program space now that I have learned to use Tone Adjust in the Combi.

Geo

Thanks, Geo, that's a useful tip I didn't know before.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Jimmy Smith Hammond organ trick- use a matchbook to hold the key down.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Old Jimmy Smith Hammond organ trick- use a matchbook to hold the key down.

A guitar pick is just the right width and thickness to do that too!

Only good though when you got a second or two to spare to set it up. Won't work in a few milliseconds, which might be an issue if you're multitasking something fierce...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
tatun2010 wrote:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

Couldn't find that Geo. Found Control Surface/Tone Adjust, but no Hold function.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
tatun2010 wrote:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

Couldn't find that Geo. Found Control Surface/Tone Adjust, but no Hold function.

Go to Tone Adjust and select the timber you want to adjust. If the hold is not already visible, touch one of the controls that you won't need and bring up the list of parameters that are adjustable. Locate the hold and select it. Now that control will allow you to turn hold on or off. You can even toggle it on the front panel. Understand that different sound engines offer different adjustments. The HD-1 of course has hold.

The various adjustments visible are only a small set of those available. You can "program" each adjustable slider or switch to any of the list available.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
tatun2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
tatun2010 wrote:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

Go to Tone Adjust and select the timber you want to adjust. If the hold is not already visible, touch one of the controls that you won't need and bring up the list of parameters that are adjustable. Locate the hold and select it. Now that control will allow you to turn hold on or off. You can even toggle it on the front panel. Understand that different sound engines offer different adjustments. The HD-1 of course has hold.

The various adjustments visible are only a small set of those available. You can "program" each adjustable slider or switch to any of the list available.

Geo

Wow Great info!
The Kronos doesnt stop to surprise me...Almost two years and every day is a more value instrument! Long Live to K!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to keep a note playing without doing it? Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
geoelectro wrote:
tatun2010 wrote:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Geo

Geo

Thanks. I will research that a little further. Definitely something I could make use of. Especially the toggling function.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit! Errrm, see correction on the next page. The suggestions below don't work like this!!

[In Combi mode, select a Program (Timbre) in the Combi, then use the drop down top right of screen to select Edit Program. This will display the Program. Now go into the Basic/Vector, Program Basic tab where, in the lower left of the screen, the option can be seen to enable Hold, and to select the key range over which the hold is to apply. This hold function basically enables a drone like continuous tone from that Program when any keys in the specified range are played. The drone cannot be toggled, which rather limits its usefulness.

Done this way, the Program will only be altered for that particular Combi. The original Program will not be altered, nor will it be altered in any other Combis that use that program. ]

Last edited by voip on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
In Combi mode, select a Program (Timbre) in the Combi, then use the drop down top right of screen to select Edit Program. This will display the Program. Now go into the Basic/Vector, Program Basic tab where, in the lower left of the screen, the option can be seen to enable Hold, and to select the key range over which the hold is to apply. This hold function basically enables a drone like continuous tone from that Program when any keys in the specified range are played. The drone cannot be toggled, which rather limits its usefulness.

Done this way, the Program will only be altered for that particular Combi. The original Program will not be altered, nor will it be altered in any other Combis that use that program.

Are you talking about "Editing Programs from within a Combination or Song" as discussed in the Operations Guide?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Changes made to Programs from within a Combi are saved with the Combi, when the Combi is saved, and are reapplied to the Program whenever that particular Combi is selected. The Program itself doesn't change e.g. when that Program is played in Program mode, the changes are not present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: