Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa3x STS settings keep changing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e1252w

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Pa3x STS settings keep changing Reply with quote

Could someone please help me...

I want the same 4 STS sounds to remain unchanged, even when I select various Styles and various Performances.

So I 'wrote' 4 sts sounds, and then saved then to one style. But when I switch to other styles, the sts settings change, even though the sts light is off?

What am I missing?
filipe_l

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each style has your own sts
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa3x STS settings keep changing Reply with quote

e1252w wrote:

I want the same 4 STS sounds to remain unchanged, even when I select various Styles and various Performances.

So I 'wrote' 4 sts sounds, and then saved then to one style. But when I switch to other styles, the sts settings change, even though the sts light is off?

What am I missing?

I think the best way to accomplish what you want is to take advantage of the Performance Auto Select function in GLOBAL. You can then use the performance buttons to instantly access 16 STS settings across all your styles. The 16 STS settings will stay the same until you select a different performance manually. Be sure Style Change is OFF.

Performance Auto Select is found on the GLOBAL > GENERAL CONTROLS > INTERFACE page.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
paul
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa3x STS settings keep changing Reply with quote

e1252w wrote:

What am I missing?

just make sure the "STS mode" light is off.

cheers

Paul
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa3x STS settings keep changing Reply with quote

paul wrote:
e1252w wrote:

What am I missing?

just make sure the "STS mode" light is off.

cheers

Paul

Turing off the STS mode does not prevent the system from loading in a new set of STS values for the new style, it just lets the last used STS linger until you press an STS button which will then load a new STS associated with the new style.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
ronieaz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Decouple STS from STYLE changes Reply with quote

e1252w, I feel your pain. From my own research I would say you are not missing anything. Your desire is exactly the same as mine. I think Korg could easily include a firmware update to add this functionality. If the STS MODE LED light is OFF, we should be able to change Styles without affecting our STS settings. STS settings are for sound combinations. When you change an STS, the Style remains. The way it is, when you change a Style it changes the STS settings. I want the option to decouple STS changes from Style changes. The existing mode button has 3 positions already - Off, On, & Blinking. OFF is the logical choice to decouple STS from Styles.
I guess the advice we have received so far is a workaround. When you setup your STS settings, back them up as Performance buttons with the same names. I use the empty slots on the last page in the Synth Performances. The top slot matches STS1 then on down the last slot matches STS4. Once they are backed up here, you can freely change Styles then go back to the SynthPerformance page to grab your saved STS.
When you want to record, having settled on a Style, you can select each of the PerformanceSTS's, go to StylePlay, hold down the appropriate STS button to save the PerformanceSTS. You can do it for all four - they will already have the names you wanted. When you record, you can change the STS combinations like you normally would. You need to convert the saved PerformanceSTS's into regular STS's because you will not have access to the SynthPerformance screen in SequencerMode.
I don't even have a PA3x; I use a PA600.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the Songbook you can have whatever STS’s you prefer. Just make a Songbook entry for all the Styles/STS combinations you are using.
If you put say your initials as the Artist then you can easily filter the Songbook by Artist to list only your songs.
ronieaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: songbook STS Reply with quote

Reuben:
I will try your suggestion. I have had no good experiences with Songbook. I don't get it, but I am not a performer, just a songwriter. Thanks for the suggestion - let's see what happens with me.
Thanks.
ronieaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: STS MODE LED Reply with quote

Reuben, I tried out your suggestion. I sucessfully created Songbook entries that save my STS settings, BUT they are still tied to a Style. E1252w & my problem still remains, being unable to freely change Styles whilst having our STS sounds intact.

On page 94 of the user manual for the 600, 900, & pa3x -
Styles, Variations, Performances and STSs are linked in many ways.
•When the STS MODE LED is steadily ON or blinking, selecting a Style also changes the Keyboard tracks.
•When the STS MODE LED is blinking, selecting a Variation also selects the corresponding STS.
I want to see this sentence next: *When the STS MODE LED is OFF, selecting a Style will NOT change the Keyboard tracks.”

I was hoping this last firmware update to 2.0 would give us this functionality to the STS MODE button, but nada.
Thanks you for your input – I apperciate it.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Decouple STS from STYLE changes Reply with quote

ronieaz wrote:
.. I use the empty slots on the last page in the Synth Performances. The top slot matches STS1 then on down the last slot matches STS4. ..

As suggested from Thoraldus why you do not try to use "AutoSelect" with empty Performances in slots of different Performance Banks like Piano, Organ, Guitar and String?

For each Style that will allow you to use buttons of Performance banks for Direct Access - with a single press to select STS1 - 4 like you do with STS-buttons, without changing by selection of another Style ( STS MODE LED off).

With Pa600 move preferred STS1 to an empty Performance of Piano, STS2 to an empty Performance of Organ, STS3 to an empty Performance of Guitar and STS4 to an empty Performance of String

Depending on the status of the “Auto Select” parameter a Performance may be immediately selected when pressing one of the performance bank buttons. The latest selected Performance for that bank will be selected.

Simply check parameter "Performance" and "Save" in Global mode/General Controls/Interface and you can assign your preferred Performance (STS1-4) to control panel’s button, selecting it just with a single press.

PS: Saving/Loading of different "Setup.gbl" allows to build Memory Registration banks to be used similar Yamaha do with PSR-models - also possible with the rarely used function of Auto Select Performance!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
ronieaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Decouple STS from Styles Reply with quote

Siebenhirter,
My problem gets to be, when recording in Sequencer mode, the Performance screen is not accessible. The STS buttons have to be assigned before recording. I know, perhaps my methods are unorthodox, not using a DAW, but I specifically bought an arranger keyboard so I could manufacture my music untethered to the darn computer. The computer only gets hooked up when it comes time to record the audio out and that's only because the pa600 doesn't save wav files. The fact still remains that Korg should completely decouple STS from Styles when that darn button is OFF.
I wonder what it must be like to live where the great classical music calls home.
Thank you for your reply.
ronieaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: STS vs Style changes Reply with quote

Attention & apologies to: Siebenhirter Austria, Reuben Australia, Thoraldus Idaho, Paul Canada, Filipi I, e1252w.
I'm a dweeb. I sat down and did what y'all said and lo&behold it works fine, even in Sequencer Mode. My mistake for not listening and actually trying it out hands on. I used the AutoSelect, assigned my set of STS settings to the Performances, went to record, and hit the buttons to have them change just fine. I also got a Style going then selected a different style and my Performance buttons hung on to the STS voice settings.
So, I will change my workflow to include this very nice procedure.
Thank you to the world, literally, of Korg Forum users for solving my problem.
ronieaz in AZ

p.s. I STILL think Korg could offer a firmware update to decouple the STS MODE LED from Styles when the light is OFF.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: STS vs Style changes Reply with quote

ronieaz wrote:
.. think Korg could offer a firmware update to decouple the STS MODE LED from Styles when the light is OFF ..

STS MODE is ideally suited for my workflow and it would be disadvantageous for me, if a style with STS LEDs mode switched OFF would be decoupling completely from the four STSs.

The advantage of STS OFF is that when changing the style only the style is changed, but will be played with the current STS performance. I like this gentle transition to the next style, but would not miss its typical next four STS available for direct access with the STS buttons.

I like it that additional four STS-links are reloaded for a style - I would not like an update decoupling STS totally from a style without to reload its next STS-link available for direct access.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: