Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with sound's decay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Framais

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Help with sound's decay Reply with quote

Hi all, although I have owned a Kronos for some time now, I am relatively new to creating/editing sounds with it.

The other night I was trying to make one of the programs decay (volume fade-out to zero while I still keep a key pressed), but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

The program voice I want to edit is called "Dare 2 B Square" (Bank: User B-101).

I would add that I am using this program in a Combi, so perhaps there's a way to control its decay directly from the Combi?

Can anyone give me pointers how to edit the decay of this sound?

Thanks in advance for any reply!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
What you have to do is to set the Enveloppe Generator dedicated to Amp. You will go to 4–3: Amp1 EG, page 91 of Paramter's Guide.

You have to put Sustain Level to 0 and set the Decay time to the length you want. That way, you keep the key depressed and sound will decrease until 0.
If the Program has two OSC, you will have to copy the same enveloppe to 4–7: Amp2 EG.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easier way is to use TONE ADJUST in the combi. This is a powerful tool that allows you to modify individual sounds without having to edit the originals.

In the Combi, go to Control Surface. Set the left tab to Tone Adjust.
Select the Timber you want to adjust and look for the ADSR for the amp.

This is a very common group of parameters typically available for most sounds but if for some reason it doesn't appear, you can change existing parameters from a larger list available.

Then like stated above, lower the sustain to zero and set the decay to your fade out liking.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Framais

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

Last night I have tried changing the Tone Adjust parameters in the Combi (making sure to select the correct Timbre) but had mixed results so far.

the AMP Sustain (set to zero) and AMP Decay (set to a negative value) not always gave the desired result, depending on the Timbre sometimes they didn't affect the decay at all. I am probably still missing something Think

In one case I had some joy by using the AMP/Filter Sustain and Decay (as opposed to AMP only).

In another case with a mono timbre, the decay is calculated from the start of the first 'staccato' key press, so if I play a 'legato' sequence of notes the volume gradually fades out over time, as opposed to fading out starting from the LAST key press. Not sure if there is an easy solution for this... Think

Tonight I will try fiddling with the Amp Envelope Generator at sound level (as opposed to Combi level) as per Livious2004 suggestion - and see if that maybe yields to better results.
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey @Liviou2004 and @geoelectro , both of your responses seemed really helpful except that I wasn't able accomplish them on my own on my Kronos, I'm just not very comfortable with the sub-menus. (I'm trying to do the same thing as the OP, I have a stock analog bass sound I want to have fade out when holding down.)

I don't care whether I'm able to accomplish that in program mode or in combi mode... Is there a Kronos video available anywhere showing how to accomplish this kind of thing? Thanks in advance. Smile
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with this a little, and I think this is what you're looking for.

I see there are a couple important details missing from the image. I am on the Dare 2 B Square program, EXI-1 page, EG 1 tab.

I had to fool around with the parameters for a while to figure out how the "Break" "Decay" and "Slope" parameters work. As near as I can figure, the "Break" parameter sets the level for that point you see about halfway down the slope... It gives you another point to define in between the attack level and the sustain level (which I set to 0 here). "Decay" controls the time from the attack level to the "Break" level, and "Slope" controls the time from the "Break" level to the "Sustain" level.

I think you will find the EG parameters will work differently depending on which synth engine you are using. It is best to just play with them and see what they do. Some of the programs are pretty complex, so it is a good idea to turn off or mute the oscillators that you are not working with. I found it is pretty easy to fiddle with the wrong parameter and think that it isn't doing anything... only to find out that I've messed up something else about the program without realizing it. Probably best to save a separate copy of the program and mess with that to avoid losing the original program.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Kronos user manual. Page 54 details the envelopes.

Two thoughts though:-

1. If the filter EG closes before the amp EG then you’ll hear very little of the amp EG
2. If your sound is from a non-looping sample then the sample may run out before the amp EG

Maybe if you start with an init program and a simple waveform it will give you a better insight to the EG’s. Some programs are littered with modulations that can play with the volume.

Hope this helps.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I’ve had a look…

EG8 is controlling the filter and it is closing fairly quickly. Click EXI, then EG, then EG8 and extend it to a higher sustain and longer decay. Then the volume EG should work as you want.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos envelopes are great because as opposed to more conventional synths, for each ADSR time (horizontal), you can set a level (vertical).

To learn how the Kronos envelopes work while having fun or fine tune custom programs, download the Kronos Editor or Chrutil's AL-1/Polysix Editor. Both are freeware and with them you can use the mouse to draw the envelopes as you wish instead of changing parameter numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: