Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA800 distortion and RAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveben

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: PA800 distortion and RAM Reply with quote

Hi,

I am an electronics engineer attempting to repair a PA800 which has intermittently distorted sound on both headphones and speakers. This forum has led be to believe the RAM is often the culprit for this problem. It certainly sounds like a digital problem as there is all sorts of noise and strange reverby sounds which makes me think the actual audio data is corrputed.

Currently, I have removed the plug in RAM. This seemed to have fixed the problem but, after a couple of days, it has returned.

I can change the RAM chips on the CPU board for new ones but does anyone know for certain if these are really the cause of the problem? One of the threads suggested that, if Korg do the repair, maybe they do more than just replace the RAM. After all, why would the RAM fail unless there was a design flaw elsewhere? On the other hand, the commonest design flaw in this type of application is a timing issue but that would be apparent from day 1.

So, does anyone know if replacing the RAM chips alone might fix this problem, or does anyone have any further information on the cause/fix for this problem.

Thanks

Dave
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(in PM)
If issue is limited only in user PCM distortion then you've purchased again this defected Ram , so try the
bigger 128 Mb module (only 64 will be used) that is guaranteed working !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
daveben

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antony Sharmman,

I had just about given up on this keyboard but, prompted by your post, today I have spent a couple of hours and measured every resistor pack used in the various data and addresses busses and guess what? I have found 1 resistor in 1 pack which reads 500R but should be 47R! This is in one of the address busses so it could certainly explain the problem.

I am on holiday now for a week but when I return I will replace the faulty resistor pack and see what happens.....Watch this space....

Many thanks

Dave
daveben

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony Sharman you are a hero!

I have fixed the faulty resistor pack and keybaord has now been playing distortion free for several days.

I haven't yet sourced and fitted a suitable fan, that is my next task, but I wanted to say thanks for pointing me to the problem. I never would have thought of looking for that paricualr fault.

Thanks again.

Dave
alessandro.testa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: IMPORTANT - IMPORTANT Reply with quote

Hello guys. IMPORTANT NEWS. Yesterday I fixed my pa 800. I checked a little resistance and after a while one of those which stands around the CPU did not give the appropriate value. I replaced and Go !!!!! No need to spend any money and even change the motherboard. Thank You Dave
ikromcon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: PA800 distorted sounds at the back Reply with quote

Dear Dave thank you for your sharing, I have exactly the same problem. Tried to format and re-install new OS, but there was very small changes withe noises. After I found your posts I decided to find the defective resistor. just I need your help with the type of resistors and their locations it will be shortcut for me. please appreciate if you can share some pictures.

thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
plhktradoros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT - IMPORTANT Reply with quote

please i have same problem help me Sad
plhktradoros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveben wrote:
Hi Antony Sharmman,

I had just about given up on this keyboard but, prompted by your post, today I have spent a couple of hours and measured every resistor pack used in the various data and addresses busses and guess what? I have found 1 resistor in 1 pack which reads 500R but should be 47R! This is in one of the address busses so it could certainly explain the problem.

I am on holiday now for a week but when I return I will replace the faulty resistor pack and see what happens.....Watch this space....

Many thanks

Dave

i have same problem i need hlp to fix
plhktradoros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PA800 distorted sounds at the back Reply with quote

hi i have problem to korg pa800 ram bank 1/2 error and sound its no good
i need replace resistors help me

https://i.imgur.com/unSRfgd.jpg[img][/img]
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: PA800 Bus Error Reply with quote

I have the same problem, Bus error on T GL RAM test 2/2.
I was going to try NAND reformat, but that tested OK.
So this might be the RAM or a resistor in a resistor bank?
My Pa800 will boot and load resources and pcm data.
The screen comes up looking normal but nothing works.
The touch screen or buttons do nothing.
I will keep trying bit a PA replacement may be required soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: