Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRUM TRACKS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RStandlee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: DRUM TRACKS Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to place a drum pattern start point in the middle of a measure? I am building a song and the pattern shifts to a starting point of 58.3 and continues that starting point for all of the following measures in the song. I’m using the new Kronos 2 88
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DRUM TRACKS Reply with quote

RStandlee wrote:
Does anyone know how to place a drum pattern start point in the middle of a measure? I am building a song and the pattern shifts to a starting point of 58.3 and continues that starting point for all of the following measures in the song. I’m using the new Kronos 2 88

you should clarify what mode you work in.

in SEQ mode, its straight forward to start on beat 3 of a 4 beat measure.
Its the Drum track tab. In the menu is an option to have ' keyboard trigger' commence the DT pattern. When recording that track midi channel, press a key at that exact start point.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use sequencer mode with RPPR function to put the pattern to midi track and then edit it for where you want it to start.
So if it starts in the middle of the 1st measure, do you want the first half of the measure to be silent?
If so, it is easy to create a midi track and insert your drum track midi data into the track with the start point set to where you want it in the first measure.
Once you have that done and any editing, you can use the “convert to drum track” command to make it a “user pattern” which is then available for drum tracks in any of the modes that drum track applies.

Page 658 parameter guide details “Put to Midi track”. Shows you how to put your drum track pattern into a midi track. Once in a midi track, you have all kinds of sequencer features for editing and manipulating the midi track drum data.
I don’t think “Put To Midi Track” will work easily for you, so i recommend setting up a midi track to record your drum track on the same midi channel used by drum track, which is usually channel 10.
Just set up the midi track to record drum track in Sequencer mode, set up drum track to start immediatley which makes it start as soon as you hit drum track and also set latch to on. Then start sequencer recording and wait until it passes over the first half of the forst measure and then trigger the drum track start. Let the drum track play into recording as long as you need it to and then stop the recording. Then look into editing for any excess measures or beats, maybe even quantize if it applies.

Once done, your midi track ready to covert back to a drum pattern for use in drum track, but this time stored as a new user oattern with that half measure silence at the start.

Page 659 parameter guide details “Convert to Drum Track Pattern” which is what you want when you are done editing your original drum track data put/recorded to midi track. You select a user pattern slot for your edited version of the pattern and store it there and then from drum track you can call up your user pattern rather than the old location of the original pattern.
You get to keep the original pattern intact and have edited version added to your list of available patterns.

I go as far as recording my drum pattern into an external drum machine and using that drum machine to add things to the pattern that Kronos does not have(like more variety of fills and intros). Then, if i do not run into note mapping complications, i can send the edited version back to kronos to be a user pattern with a lot more going on than the original pattern.

1. Just record your drum track pattern into a sequencer track and allow the half measure delay before you start the drum track playing into the already recording track.

2. Then edit the track as needed to add or remove parts or clean up any overrun or quantize issues.

3. Use the “Convert to drum track pattern” feature and it will be on the list of available patterns in drum track.

Quite simple. I just tried a quick one on kronos right now and i got a user pattern recorded into sequencer where it was triggered to play on the 3rd beat of the 1st measure of the recordng track, set to 4/4 time. So first beat of the drum is on 3rd beat out of 4 beats making up the 1st measure.
RStandlee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DRUM TRACKS Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
RStandlee wrote:

you should clarify what mode you work in.

in SEQ mode, its straight forward to start on beat 3 of a 4 beat measure.
Its the Drum track tab. In the menu is an option to have ' keyboard trigger' commence the DT pattern. When recording that track midi channel, press a key at that exact start point.

I see that option in program mode but not seq mode. I am working in seq mode and have new song open. I am going to Pattern/RPPR then to pattern edit. From there I am select my pattern and using the drop down in the upper right and selecting Put To Midi. It works perfectly until after my bridge the pattern shifts to the 3 rd best of the measure. I can’t figure out how to put to the 3rd. Eat of the measure.
RStandlee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
You can use sequencer mode with RPPR function to put the pattern to midi track and then edit it for where you want it to start.
So if it starts in the middle of the 1st measure, do you want the first half of the measure to be silent?
If so, it is easy to create a midi track and insert your drum track midi data into the track with the start point set to where you want it in the first measure.
Once you have that done and any editing, you can use the “convert to drum track” command to make it a “user pattern” which is then available for drum tracks in any of the modes that drum track applies.

Page 658 parameter guide details “Put to Midi track”. Shows you how to put your drum track pattern into a midi track. Once in a midi track, you have all kinds of sequencer features for editing and manipulating the midi track drum data.
I don’t think “Put To Midi Track” will work easily for you, so i recommend setting up a midi track to record your drum track on the same midi channel used by drum track, which is usually channel 10.
Just set up the midi track to record drum track in Sequencer mode, set up drum track to start immediatley which makes it start as soon as you hit drum track and also set latch to on. Then start sequencer recording and wait until it passes over the first half of the forst measure and then trigger the drum track start. Let the drum track play into recording as long as you need it to and then stop the recording. Then look into editing for any excess measures or beats, maybe even quantize if it applies.

Once done, your midi track ready to covert back to a drum pattern for use in drum track, but this time stored as a new user oattern with that half measure silence at the start.

Page 659 parameter guide details “Convert to Drum Track Pattern” which is what you want when you are done editing your original drum track data put/recorded to midi track. You select a user pattern slot for your edited version of the pattern and store it there and then from drum track you can call up your user pattern rather than the old location of the original pattern.
You get to keep the original pattern intact and have edited version added to your list of available patterns.

I go as far as recording my drum pattern into an external drum machine and using that drum machine to add things to the pattern that Kronos does not have(like more variety of fills and intros). Then, if i do not run into note mapping complications, i can send the edited version back to kronos to be a user pattern with a lot more going on than the original pattern.

Thank you very much!

1. Just record your drum track pattern into a sequencer track and allow the half measure delay before you start the drum track playing into the already recording track.

2. Then edit the track as needed to add or remove parts or clean up any overrun or quantize issues.

3. Use the “Convert to drum track pattern” feature and it will be on the list of available patterns in drum track.

Quite simple. I just tried a quick one on kronos right now and i got a user pattern recorded into sequencer where it was triggered to play on the 3rd beat of the 1st measure of the recordng track, set to 4/4 time. So first beat of the drum is on 3rd beat out of 4 beats making up the 1st measure.
RStandlee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank very much for taking the time to write such a thorough response! I appreciate the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: