Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca kick; writing sequences without knob settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: volca kick; writing sequences without knob settings Reply with quote

volca kick; writing sequences without knob settings, is it possible? and if not, Korg, could you please add this feature some day?

for me, it makes the Kick almost unusable in a live situation. when you switch patters, the settings jump to a new, written setting, and when you turn a knob, it jumps to where you were in your last bit. you cant make transgressions like that. basically, it means, that when you play live and use multiple patterns, you cant touch the knobs.

maybe im missing how to turn it off, am i?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volca Kick remembers your setting for each pattern in a sorta preset way. The problem there is like you are experiencing, there can be some abrupt changes when swapping presets. You can get around this by saving the same kick settings to every pattern.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
oki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but when you play the knobs then, you know, little more this and that, change pitch, etc.. you have to go back to that standard setting every time you switch patterns. pretty much undoable.

only solution i can think of, is to just use one pattern, and program your varieties live. which can be fun, but not really what you want to depend on.

if youd just have the option to turn off teh saved settings, and only have the saved sequences, it would be great.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there is no getting around that really without endless digital encoders (which would 'pick-up' from the current settings when altered).
I don't use the onboard sequencer that often, preferring to sequence the Kick with my Beatstep Pro.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
oki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Yeah there is no getting around that really without endless digital encoders (which would 'pick-up' from the current settings when altered).
I don't use the onboard sequencer that often, preferring to sequence the Kick with my Beatstep Pro.

i might end up selling it now...a bit disappointing.
thanks for the comments
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oki wrote:

thanks for the comments

That's a shame really as it is one of the best analogue kicks on the market outside of modular. I own a Vermona Kick Lance which cost me almost twice that of the Volca Kick and I find it doesn't get nearly same subsonic depth the Korg Kick produces. If you have another sequencer I'd play with running the Volca Kick with it before flipping it, it truly is a beast of a drum synth.
oki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
oki wrote:

thanks for the comments

That's a shame really as it is one of the best analogue kicks on the market outside of modular. I own a Vermona Kick Lance which cost me almost twice that of the Volca Kick and I find it doesn't get nearly same subsonic depth the Korg Kick produces. If you have another sequencer I'd play with running the Volca Kick with it before flipping it, it truly is a beast of a drum synth.

yea maybe you're right, i do like the sound very much, and in the end, thats what its all about.
maybe i should just get a beat step.
Viaren

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ca do this:

1-Save the sound first over lets say 4 memory patterns. Then edit the patterns for your taste.
2-Use active step, use only part of the patterns. A first note kick only needs a bar length
3-Use Touch FX roll effect which I found quite useful. It is kind of "direct" so you need to keep up with the beat otherwize it can come out more random, but that can also make the mix more interesting (I think that is what the volcas is about anyway) Smile

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: