Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade Wavestation to EX?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhulk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is correct i have 2 kits left

if there is more interest i might do another set

i made 8 kits last time and i still have 2 left and for all the work it took i still have not recouped all the costs yet
Chrr77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently picked up an old WS1 Wavestation and I have been looking around for the EX upgrade kit.

I know it's going back a bit but I stumbled across your post and wondered if you still had any of the kits left. Unlikely I know. If by chance you do, would you be willing to let one go and for what cost?

Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded a WS to the WS-EX a couple of years ago and will have a dig around to see if I still have any info over the next few days. I have the EEPROM contents .BIN files somewhere, too. The upgrade is definitely worth doing as many of the expansion ROMS rely on the EX data.

Chrr77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. It's something I'd really like to do, so if you can shed any light any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The servers at www.voila.fr hosting the website that had the upgrade info together with the email of the guy that helped me have been shut down in November 2015. The robots.txt file on voila.fr disallowed archive.org to trawl the site, so there don't appear to be any archives. I will see what other info I have.

Are you able to burn EPROMS?

Chrr77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yeah. Those servers seemed to be my last hope and typically I missed it by a month. There must be backups somewhere. I could get hold of the 3.19 OS off eBay but it's really the extra wave files I'm after. I've managed to find the bin files for the OS.
I'm currently not able to burn ROMs but is something I'm looking in to. Another stumbling block I have come across is the scarcity of the right 27c1000 EPROM. Do you know if a 27c301 is an adequate substitute. Also is it 4 x the 4001 for the actual pcm files?
Thanks again for your help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is 4x 4001 for the PCM files.

There is someone in China who claims to have the NEC D27C1000A-12 in stock for not too much money. They do sting on shipping, though: http://www.buyicnow.com/it.php?i=241

The 27C301's might work but would probably need an adapter. I had to make an adapter for programming the D27C1000A's, if I recall.

An MCR-03 memory card is also needed to copy the factory3 sysex files to.

bjoerngiesler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a set available from my own upgrade. UI8, UI9 (new OS) and IC2,3,4,5. I had two sets made, installed the first one, worked perfectly so I kept the second one as a spare. You can have them if you want them.
Chrr77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bjoern, thanks for the offer. I was looking at getting some made but if you are willing to part with them that would make life much easier.

I think it might have been your blog I was looking at that convinced me to do it.
How much would you want for them?

I tried to pm you but the message just seems to sit in the outbox so I don't know if it's sent or not.
bjoerngiesler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK no problem. I still have them, so if anyone is interested please PM me.
ogo2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello friends (I'm a new guy here), do You know, where can I buy this upgrade kit for Korg WS? Recently it was available on ebay in April 2016. Now hard to find. I have occasion to buy Korg WS1 in very good condition for 240 $ (approx.) and I would like upgrade it to EX version, of course.(otherwise I will try colleague voip's option - posted above)
starmogul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody still have an upgrade kit available or at least the EPROM binary files for OS and waves? I'm searching very desperately and can not find them anywhere...
Mk11Audio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhulk wrote:
they are the upgrade kit that korg used to sell for £300+

it has 2 os eproms
4 sound eproms
4 gold sockets

you solder in the 4 sockets

you place the 4 sound roms into there numbered socket space and

fit the 2 eproms in the numbered socket spaces you initialise the synth the new os starts and you have access to the new sound rom available to ex ad and sr synths which means you can load all the sysex available

the flashed eproms are £12.50 each

there are 2 sorts the sound roms are 4001 the osroms are different eproms

i did the full kit for £80 including the 4 gold plate phosphorus bronze 32 pin turned sockets

plus postage

I've just discovered this thread... and today, I bought an original Wavestation WS1 S/N: 000673 !!! Very Happy

I just ordered a new LCD Screen for it, as the old one is fading and has dark areas around the top and bottom edges...

I would like to know "IF" by chance you still have any of the "EX" kits available for purchase? I would like to buy one. Current firmware is 2.05 with a DATE: in the screen of 6/13/90... don't really need to upgrade the Firmware, but if it brings it up to 3.19 great... I just did a re-initialize, I can tell this unit needs some serious cleaning under the hood. Keypad for numerics are sticky and semi-non-responsive. I will change the memory battery too so I start with a fresh machine.

Then load my favorite sounds... great machines !!!

Thanks, Mark
Lukejohnstone1990

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: EX upgrade ICs Reply with quote

Hi all, can someone please list the IC part numbers and functions, needed to perform the upgrade? Thanks!
ant_t

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. If anyone still has any EX upgrade kits or knows where to get them, please let me know. I had given up all hope before finding this thread. Much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: