Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue: Expression pedal MIDI data not sent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgarner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Issue: Expression pedal MIDI data not sent? Reply with quote

Loving the Prologue, apart from – and in common with everyone else – the teething problems.

Yesterday I recorded a pad part from Runner Blade, in which I assigned cutoff to the expression pedal to give the lower bass timbre a bit of barking swell.

I was dismayed at the end of the take to find that none of the data supplied via the expression pedal found its way into the recorded MIDI data in Logic. I had to make a second pass and twiddle the Cutoff knob.

Anyone know if this oversight might ever be corrected?
Grokaknock

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any synths do this? Expression pedals are for live performances. So either perform the part and record it as audio "live" or do it in passes like you ended up doing.

When I got the Sub37 I purchased the Moog pedal hoping to do this as well. But I couldn't find a way to get the pedal data output as midi data. Maybe I missed something though.
HW: Model D (Original) <> Prologue 16 <> OB-6 <> Prophet REV 2 <> Minitaur <> Sub37 <> Slim Phatty <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Korg Triton Le <> Korg synths I have owned: Poly 800 - Poly 800 MKII - M1 - Z1 (miss this one)

SW: Nuendo and too many soft synths to mention.
rgarner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Maybe they don't! I'll have to try with the Sub 37. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.
rgarner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little experiment. The Sub 37 has a choice of CV jacks into which to plug an expression pedal. They're not assignable ports and none of them say "Expression" so I wouldn't expect any of them to send MIDI on CC11.

I've tried it with a Panorama P4. MIDI CC for Expression is sent and recordable. I tried it with an ancient (2003?) Novation X-Station. MIDI CC for expression is sent and recordable. I suppose you can argue that both of these are primarily controller keyboards, but even so. Expression on CC 11 seems so widespread.

I'm afraid this one comes under "inexplicable omissions" and I hope will be fixed in a firmware update.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled on the same problem, and it's really a shame that this doesn't work.

I also don't think that expression pedals are live tools exclusively. When I want to record with two hands, they are needed excatly as much, as they are needed live, and the omission of sending and receiving a CC for this, when working with a DAW, is simply beyond making any sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: