Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pa900 locking up with several notes playing on one key
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbwright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: pa900 locking up with several notes playing on one key Reply with quote

What is the permanent fix for this $3000 dust collector? I've already installed version 1.3
Cannot use live anymore..can't afford a new roland
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

There is a PA900 section where this question might be better asked.

Does the stuck note issue occur when everything has been disconnected, apart from power and headphones? Does it happen with all sounds?

rbwright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does it plugged into the pa system, and just thru the onboard speakers during practice. I used to be able to press shift.end and go on, but now it Will even reboot in this condition. It
Is an intermittent issue increasing in frequency.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a hardware problem rather than a software one...
Can you record a video of it getting stuck (with sound) so we can say something maybe more specific?
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have good power going into the instrument at your location? Are any other electrical devices suffering weird operations? Are you under warranty? If under warranty, document occurrences and get it checked out. Good luck!

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the psu inside pa900 (and most others) is a switching mode power supply which means that is ll run with at least anything between 90 and 250 volts..
I highly doubt it is the input power the problem..
It could be the psu itself having not stable voltage output but this is a hardware fault too and needs the keyboard to get disassembled..
rbwright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a power conditioner, and have had it for a couple of years now. No warranty hopes. I see many posts on this issue, hard to believe it's hardware. My old i5s still works perfectly, that's why I bought another korg. I can't express my disappointment. I buy the power supply as it did it once in a while when new, I dismissed as firmware. Now it's too undependable to play live, and even fails in my studio now. The main problem is I love this board.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried factory restore and play with only the factory styles (don't load any set) to check if it ll do it again?
rbwright

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea . I'll look up the process and try tonite!
rbwright

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried factory reset and it locked up 2 times in 5 min.
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbwright wrote:
What is the permanent fix for this $3000 dust collector? I've already installed version 1.3

rbwright wrote:

It seems that there are CPU chips from Texas Instruments that fail after a period of time (turn on time issue). This happens because the quality of the silicon differs from CPU to CPU. Some CPU units are unstable but other are stable so depending of the lot of production and quality of the CPU some units can have sporadic issues and OS crashes. Because the CPU chips are entry level ARM/DSP for cheap tablets and smartphones the production quality differs is like a lottery to match a good unit.

If the failure repeats a Pa900 mainboard replacement is the only solution on such cases. Fortunately I pay for my Pa3XLe half of the price... for a dust collector in the near future...

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar

Last edited by alfredokiwi on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfredokiwi wrote:
rbwright wrote:

rbwright wrote:

It seems that there are CPU chips from Texas Instruments that fail after a period of time (turn on time issue). This happens because the quality of the silicon differs from CPU to CPU. Some CPU units are unstable this is caused by the temperature rise after turning on, but other are stable so depending of the lot of production and quality of the CPU some units can have sporadic issues and OS crashes. Because the CPU chips are entry level ARM/DSP for cheap tablets and smartphones the production quality differs is like a lottery to match a good unit.

If the failure repeats a Pa900 mainboard replacement is the only solution on such cases. Fortunately I pay for my Pa3XLe half of the price... for a dust collector in the near future...

Have you ever thought that maybe the problem is the onboard emmc and not the cpu that you keep accusing without any proof?
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
alfredokiwi wrote:
rbwright wrote:

rbwright wrote:

It seems that there are CPU chips from Texas Instruments that fail after a period of time (turn on time issue). This happens because the quality of the silicon differs from CPU to CPU. Some CPU units are unstable this is caused by the temperature rise after turning on, but other are stable so depending of the lot of production and quality of the CPU some units can have sporadic issues and OS crashes. Because the CPU chips are entry level ARM/DSP for cheap tablets and smartphones the production quality differs is like a lottery to match a good unit.

Have you ever thought that maybe the problem is the onboard emmc and not the cpu that you keep accusing without any proof?

The Pa series use the same 15 volts 4 amps PSU on all models if problems are on main power regulation the power amplifier would fail first with audio cuts fluctuations on volume and distortion. A simple test is to put Pa900 a maximal volume and check if audio distorts on speakers.

Unfortunately is the CPU board the problem it hangs after 5 minutes. A tablet smartphone CPU like Raspberry Pi have a short lifetime they are very cheap, is not the same quality as PC processors. Is not a matter if CPU or emmc memory is the culprit. Cheap devices means poor silicon chip quality like tablets and smartphones they have a short lifetime.

musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about...
Having a problem with your pa3xle doesn't mean all others have the same problem as you...There are no indications about problems in cpu board or anything (not even touch panel) as often as older pa800 model which suffered from cpu board problems and 90% (if not more) of them have got a new cpu board or got their old cpu board repaired (you can see the posts in the pa800 section here too)...
I have only seen 1 pa900 cpu board to fail which was the users fault as he never updated the operating system and left it to version 1.00 which had as far as i managed to see (cause there is no v1.00 pkg to double check it) emmc trim management disabled which caused the emmc to fail as it wrote over the same place (page in memory) too many times and gone to end of life (all flash type memories work like that)...
These instruments are pretty well built and designed..Heat doesn't seem to be a problem too (if you touch a pa800 after being powered on for 4-5 hours you will understand what i mean).
As i saw in your facebook page you seem to be designing embedded systems and repairing keyboards so it will be too easy for you to fix it if it ever gets faulty.
I'd suggest that you should play with it rather than thinking what could go wrong , as thats what it is built for...
As for the harmonizer , call it a bug and get an outboard real tc-helicon which is far better than any wannabe tc-helicon on board...
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about...
Having a problem with your pa3xle doesn't mean all others have the same problem as you...There are no indications about problems in cpu board or anything (not even touch panel) as often as older pa800 model which suffered from cpu board problems and 90% (if not more) of them have got a new cpu board or got their old cpu board repaired (you can see the posts in the pa800 section here too)...
I have only seen 1 pa900 cpu board to fail which was the users fault as he never updated the operating system and left it to version 1.00 which had as far as i managed to see (cause there is no v1.00 pkg to double check it) emmc trim management disabled which caused the emmc to fail as it wrote over the same place (page in memory) too many times and gone to end of life (all flash type memories work like that)...
These instruments are pretty well built and designed..Heat doesn't seem to be a problem too (if you touch a pa800 after being powered on for 4-5 hours you will understand what i mean).
As i saw in your facebook page you seem to be designing embedded systems and repairing keyboards so it will be too easy for you to fix it if it ever gets faulty.
I'd suggest that you should play with it rather than thinking what could go wrong , as thats what it is built for...
As for the harmonizer , call it a bug and get an outboard real tc-helicon which is far better than any wannabe tc-helicon on board...

There are a lot of users with problems on flagship models like Kronos one of them in only 8 months started to fail. Another Kronos with issues and was repaired now had issues on keybed scanning because the firmware goes corrupt on Korg boards despite the garbage collector on emmc it will not last due the crap quality of the silicon chip on ARM CPUs and memories. Cheap devices like ARM/CPU 10 dollars tablet chips are the culprit, is the Chinese low quality low priced electronics inside Korg models what we have. Nice keyboard from outside but a total crap quality the chips inside. I prefer durability.... At the end the user experience judges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: