Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Pa4X - Bad Hardware Quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Korg Pa4X - Bad Hardware Quality Reply with quote

After using my Pa4X for 2 years (it is supposed and designed to be a professional live keyboard), it cost me more than $200 for replacing the 4 Variations and Break buttons that became loose and waiting 4 months to get the parts from Korg.
I had other keyboards and used for example a Korg Pa80 and Pa1X for at least 10 years without any broken buttons.

Shame on you Korg!
Your future flagship will need a serious update in Hardware and Software department at the level of 21 century technology
and a very professional control quality at this price range before releasing to the market in order to keep your loyal customers and gain more customers.
If this is not important to you, I will seriously start for an other alternative company in the future.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely empathise with you BR but I think you may just be an unlucky one rather than every PA4X being poor quality hardware - if not, we are all doomed!!!!

I had a major problem with my PA1X and had to take it apart several times but I don't remember any others having the problem.

I have to admit that I have not liked the Korg arranger buttons since the PA1X - the i-series were much nicer.

I sincerely hope you get it sorted out. That is beyond frustrating.
The difficulty for me is that there is no other "company" or equivalent to look at.

I hope this doesn't mean that Korg PAs will be like MS WINDOWS and become a slack product permanently in "beta" mode.

I played the Genos extensively recently (first time) and I can tell you the butld quality of the PA4X is far superior - its design is not good - it would scare me taking it out on a gig but then I don't think that is the market Yamaha are targeting!!! You can't even use "L" shaped audio plugs because of the strange casing design. But hey, the buttons are OK.

Sorry, was digressing....
Let us know how you go - again so sorry you have this problem.

CHeers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

I sincerely hope you get it sorted out. That is beyond frustrating.
The difficulty for me is that there is no other "company" or equivalent to look at.
CHeers
Pete Very Happy

Thanks for your professional and logic approach.
My technician sorted out after waiting 4 months to get the parts and he did a great job.

He asked US Korg why waiting so longtime to get the parts and they replied that they didn't have it in stock
because they thought it's a new keyboard and they were not expecting that happens in short time for their flagship.
Quote:

I hope this doesn't mean that Korg PAs will be like MS WINDOWS and become a slack product permanently in "beta" mode.
I hope so.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the case , structure of Style control switches internal holder base material is the same since Pa1X (AFAIK) so it's only
a matter of power force that is applied on the surface button , so take care !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . maybe this is a heads-up to assign some of these functions to the EC-5 pedal. Switch replacement is cheap and easy on that. I bought a bag of 20-odd tac switches from an electronics retailer for about $10.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think that is not a "Korg-only" related problem. And not only regarding keyboards...

"in the past" almost ALL devices had a much longer lifetime than nowadays.

No matter if keyboards, tvs, washing-machines, vacuumcleaners, tools in general etc...

It´s "the spirit of the present time"... manufacturers ( especially shareholders ) want to earn money, and that´s more easy the less goods don´t last so long as "earlier".

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bummer. It should not take that long to get a keyboard fixed unless it's cut in half or something!

I agree with Giner. Those who play LIVE should definitely get a nanoPAD2, EC-5, FCB1010 .....or anything that can trigger Intros/Ending/Fills...etc. You never know when that INTRO 1 button is going to get stuck.

paul
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
That's a bummer. It should not take that long to get a keyboard fixed unless it's cut in half or something!

I agree with Giner. Those who play LIVE should definitely get a nanoPAD2, EC-5, FCB1010 .....or anything that can trigger Intros/Ending/Fills...etc. You never know when that INTRO 1 button is going to get stuck.

you are right Sam. I have been using the EC5 since the PA80 days and have not suffered any broken buttons. I have and am using the EC5 up to 3 hrs everyday.

cheers

Paul
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends:

I must agree with Antony.
The most strong keyboard will fail if you don't take care of the power force is applied not only to switchs buttons, also keybead.-
By the time i use Roland keyboards, i've got the best controller ever made A90.- It suppose that it was indestructible.- But one day a friend of my put unneccesary for to a swith and it brokes down.-
I don't agree that Korg flagships (PA4X, Kronos) were made by not profesionals.- By the time of Triton, M3, Korgs improve high quality profesional for designing hardware and software.-
I've been using Korg Keyboards from the last 15 years and never got an issue; now i have both PA4x and Kronos and also no issues.-
Keyboards are like watches, if you take care of them they last for ever.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Dmkeys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the OP. I see that he is in the USA as I am. Korg USA is very bad about getting replacement parts in a timely manner and/or maintaining a sufficient stock of replacement parts.

I don't know "why" this is so, but I've been told this by numerous authorized repair people. One told me he thinks they ship the parts by boat periodically, to save money.

I do know that when the motherboard on my PA3X died, it took many months to get a replacement. I would happily have paid an additional fee to have one FedExed from Italy/Japan wherever. Unfortunately, there was no option to pay the extra cost and do this.

Similarly, when the LED's on my PA2X failed, it took many months to get the replacement parts in stock.

It seems to me that Korg USA does not prioritize having spare parts locally available. (It could be that this is not their fault, but a Korg supply issue.)

In any event, it's perfectly legitimate for people who spend $4000 on a keyboard to expect that it will be quickly serviced in case something goes wrong. Too often, that seems not to be the case.
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: EC5 Footswitch Reply with quote

Where possible, I try and use the EC5 to its full extent. However, I wonder how many of you find it difficult to select only one switch at a time? I now remove my shoes, to ensure that I select only one function at a time. You know what they say about a person with big feet..........Big shoes!

Re, Jim.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, the EC-5 is mostly a waste of time for me. This is because the settings are Global only. Now if Korg would anable EC-5 settings to be saved with a Songbook file, THAT would be useful!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now if Korg would anable EC-5 settings to be saved with a Songbook file, THAT would be useful!

+100

YES - and hey, my Casio MZ-X500 does that!!!

P Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: