Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe Sampler as a polyphonic midi sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justmull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Electribe Sampler as a polyphonic midi sequencer Reply with quote

I recently sold my original ESX as it was no good for sequencing external synths as it only had 2 monophonic parts. I've been looking at the latest electribe sampler and wondering what it is like for sequencing external synths. How many synths can you sequence on different midi channels and is there any polyphony limit when using external synths? Thanks!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from here: https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/specifications.php

Sequencer:
  • Number of Steps 16 steps x 4
  • Number of Parts 16 parts (one part consists of a sound, steps, insert effect, modulation sequence, etc)
  • Number of Patterns 250 patterns (150 Presets / 100 Initial) (one pattern consists of parts, master effect, key, scale setting, etc)
  • Motion Sequences Up to 24 motion sequences can be stored (for each pattern)
  • Groove Types 25 Pattern Set Up to 64 patterns can be stored
  • Pattern Chain Up to 250 patterns can be chained Export Ableton Live project file format, WAV file format (48 kHz, 16 bit)
  • Event Recording Up to 100 files can be saved

Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
justmull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I read that and also the manual but there is nothing about setting a midi channel per part or polyphonic sequencing of multiple external synths and whether e.g. you can record parts in from an external keyboard as with a more traditional sequencer etc. So looking for anyone's experience of this sort of a setup in actual practice.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each pad on the new electribes corresponds to a different midi channel, so you can sequence up to 16 external devices I guess, though I have never done this so can't comment on how it works or answer your question on polyphony.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**and whether e.g. you can record parts in from an external keyboard as with a more traditional sequencer etc. So looking for anyone's experience of this sort of a setup in actual practice.***

I believe so - just check what channel your keyboard is recording to. Even if its the wrong part/channel just use Copy Part to the correct Pad you want it to play on.

I had a whole bunch of Arp patterns recorded on my E2 - it took about ten minutes and a 1/8 inch stereo cable to record all those patterns from the E2 to the ES2 via midi.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electribe Sampler as a polyphonic midi sequencer Reply with quote

justmull wrote:
How many synths can you sequence on different midi channels

Technically, you can have 16 parts running simultaneously, so that's 16 channels since they are hardcoded for each part.

justmull wrote:
is there any polyphony limit when using external synths?

You're limited to 4 notes per step per part, hard quantized and resolution is very poor (16ppqn) albeit mitigated by the BPM doubling trick, and real time non destructive swing/note length/beat edit.

The sequencer being tightly linked to the sound engine, there is no real local off parameter : you can just set the OSC to external in, and disable most synthesis/effect for each part to prevent CPU processing power being wasted.

Not quite ideal IMHO.

justmull wrote:
you can record parts in from an external keyboard

Yes but bear in mind the electribe2 has no MIDI Thru, and a very scarce MIDI implementation (no Pitchbend, no Modulation, hardcoded CC, etc...). So you'll need a complex MIDI routing, involving a MIDI splitter or a computer, if you want to hear what you're playing if not using the internal sound engine.

And editing sequences after recording is a PITA, unless you export those to Ableton. Non standard midifile format, no editor/converter that we know off except a very brave Max4Live implementation in the early days of the electribe2 series release.

Yet, as a skecthpad or happy accident tool, it goes along very well with a Keystep from Arturia.

Very Happy
justmull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply Poumtschak!
Sounds OK for what I want - but I don't think I'd pay full price for one just yet. I'm still using a Yamaha RM1x as a sequencer but love the Korg electribe workflow (and that arpeggiator!) so would really love one with a bit more of a serious sequencer. But if I can find one cheap I'll probably give it a go - the limitations may not bug me too much for what I do.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just looking to sequence other gear then I'd stick with the RM1X. The sequencer on that thing is still one of the best in the business and it pisses all over the electribe sequencer, there is no comparison.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmull wrote:
love the Korg electribe workflow (and that arpeggiator!)

There's no arpeggiator on the electribe2 series.

Hence the Keystep suggestion. Wink
justmull

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
Hence the Keystep suggestion

Thanks for pointing that thing out - looks cheap enough that I think I'll give it a spin as it may do everything I want anyway!

*edit - oh hang on - it only does one sequence at a time
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmull wrote:
*edit - oh hang on - it only does one sequence at a time

Damn, you're picky. Razz

The electribe can play 16 sequences (sort of), the Keystep has an arpeggiator or a sequencer : just record what's spitted out by the Arturia on the tribe, and move along on the Keystep.

The Keystep can transpose on the fly, or play live a second channel while the sequence is running on another one. It has MIDI merge. And a very precise MIDI clock, much better than the tribe, if you can live with a tempo knob and no display.

Quite a no brainer, really.

Unless you want a Beatstep Pro, which has its idiosynchrasies (no chords, needs a computer to configure) but is a nice unit since the latest firmware.
justmull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a keystep yesterday and it is fantastic! I sequence a line, record it into the rm1x and move onto the next channel/synth. And not a screen in sight! Thanks for the suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: