Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on mixing tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Advice on mixing tracks Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been spending a lot of time mixing tracks to get a nice blend using my headphones, but then when I play the track back either through my speakers, or another sound system, everything of out of balance, after some research on you tube, people who use Daws give lots of good advice like using the pans more, auto volume control, and to always mix in mono, so I would like to find out 1st mow to put the kronos in mono when listening to a sequence, and, I'm ok getting a volume change on a single track, yet it the track is on the same No of another timer it shares the change with that, how do I stop that so it only effects the one track as I play it.

Thanks.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big topic.

Is your song mix for yourself or for an audience ?

That makes a diff to me

Also what type of music ?

How many tracks ? Do they have percussion/rhythm ?
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have good neutral headphones and speakers.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on mixing tracks Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
so I would like to find out 1st mow to put the kronos in mono when listening to a sequence

Place 036: Tube PreAmp Modeling into one of TFX slots and enable it.
Put the Low Cut for both tubes to Thru.
Put the High Cut for both tubes to Thru.
Put saturation and Bias at zero.
Put phase on Normal instead of Wet Invert.
You can put output level to 0dB if you feel like it.
Don't forget to bypass, remove, or swap this effect for the stereo version (037) when you're done mixing.

Scarecrow wrote:
and, I'm ok getting a volume change on a single track, yet if the track is on the same one as another it shares the change with that, how do I stop that so it only effects the one track as I play it.

This is a more in-depth discussion.

Individual drums are routed to certain effects by default. You may choose to then reroute these drum groups as you please. You do that by making sure the DKit is enabled on the drum timbre in the Routing1 sub tab of IFX. Then select that timbre and choose Drum Kit IFX Patch from the dropdown menu.
IFX1 are your snares
IFX2 are your kicks
IFX4 are your overheads
IFX5 is your general percussion.
In this way you can route your snare to whatever IFX you want and process it however you please. You may not even wish to change the IFX assignments and simply process your kit from the get go before worrying about other instruments. Remember you can use the Clean Up IFX Routings command in the Insert FX sub tab if routing gets a little crazy. This just organizes things in a practical way so you're not following some weird matrix of connections while trying to understand your signal chain.
As you can already surmise, drum kits can get much more complicated than that. But if you can come to grips with kit routings then that should be enough to get a very good mixdown.

For instrument balance there are many things you can do... For starters you're going to want to Edit Program from the dropdown menu of the home screen (ProgSelect/Mixer). This let's you edit a Program while still in Combi mode. Head to the Control Surface and adjust the EXi VOLUME parameters to balance the levels of a dual EXi patch. The Process for HD-1 is identical though you may be able to find shortcuts for OSC level within the Tone Adjust controls.

Another big tip for mixing is if you have mono timbres, utilize parallel insert effects. Pan one instrument left and one right, route them to a parallel processor and then pan the output of the individual signals wherever you want.

For very advanced processing you may want to save a Reverb for IFX 12 and route everything there, then route that output to your MFX for M/S processing with the Stereo Exciter/Enhancer and a serial mono plug-in. Finally use a Stereo Multiband Compressor for dynamics and EQ sculpting with a Stereo Tube PreAmp Modeling as the last unit in the chain for soft clipping/limiting. Make sure Bias of off for that. Again that's all super advanced stuff and I wouldn't expect the average user to delve that deep into their mix.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with leonh on this one - do you have good neutral headphones and speakers?

I do now have an excellent set of headphones that mean I can listen with reasonable accuracy. Most sets of headphones are pretty hopeless for mixing, though.
What speakers do you use - a good set of active monitors that don't colour the sound?
How about your room - is that affecting the sound?

I think that if you nail those three factors, it should enable you to mix your stuff well. If you are still not happy, then you can move on to considering the need for mono mixes, etc.

One thing that also helps me is to leave a track after I think I have finished it, and then come back to it weeks or months later. By that stage, I'll have become a little more detached from it, and can more accurately assess what the piece is like.
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply's here are my head phones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD451-Closed-Over-Ear-Headphone-blue/dp/B013UTN5I6

System.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-cm-220-2.1-cube-monitoring-system/57030

I am doing a lot of backing songs in sequencer, I get the midi file for the tracks, then add the instruments starting with drums, "copy from program" include effects and proceed from there until I run out of effect slots, then start sharing any others if needed, thanks for your input, maybe a mixing video would help, I have studied Greggs FX vids, and most effects titles are self explanatory but as a novice to sound engineering, I am still confused as to when and where I should use a lot of the effects.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're fine with your monitors and headphones. Just make sure you reference your mix on both, switching back and forth between the two and finding levels that strike a happy medium between the speakers and cans. Mixing is all about having your song translate well on as many playback mediums as possible which is why it's important to use multiple references. And don't forget to compare your mix with a commercial release that is similar to the style and feel that you're going for.

I didn't know Greg made some effects tutorials. I'd be interested in checking those out.

The Kronos thankfully organizes effects into categories. You have your dynamics effects to lock down consistency in volume, create punch or glue and so forth. Most modulation effects are used to add width. Reverbs and delays create a sense of space etc etc.
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant you Charles as regards the effects vids.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of the following software examples, or similar, be useful tools ?

https://shop.audified.com/products/mixchecker

https://www.waves.com/hardware/nx-virtual-mix-room-nx-head-tracker

https://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: