Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joystick Pithbend repair : is it possible ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Joystick Pithbend repair : is it possible ? Reply with quote

Hello,

We all know that the main Joystick (Picthbend) is a weak part of the Kronos. Mine is deficient after one year and half only.
So, as soon as I'm using it, on X axe, after release it, pitch begins to glide up by its own. And I must touch it again to make the tune go back to the right place.

I know it is not difficult to replace the Joystick block with a new one (some videos on Youtube explain how to do).
But I have tow questions :

1°) Do you know what part of the joystick is involded in this failture ? Is it a mechanical default ? Is it an electronical default ?

2°) Has someone ever repair it without replace it ?

Thank you for your response
Kletsivo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It can be both or either.

2. It's hard to find specific parts of the assembly. Usually it's much easier and practical to replace the whole thing.

I've been dealing with this since the Triton days. Joysticks on all Korg keyboards are too weak indeed, and the buttons too.
They should learn from Yamaha and Roland.

This might help: https://youtu.be/MEmGOxzCJuk
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try spraying some DeOxite D5 in the two potentiometers. Remember, less is more when applying spray.

As a tech I have to say Korg's joystick is no weaker than Roland's or anyone else. I service Yamaha and Roland and see my share of joysticks, mod wheels etc. that are busted. Truthfully, it's the users. I had a Triton pro for 10 years and all hardware was perfect when I finally sold it. My 5+ year old Kronos is still like new. Some of the stuff that comes through my shop indicates some owners have no respect for their equipment.

Anyway, try the cleaner on the JS pots and you may fix it.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kletsivo wrote:
This might help: https://youtu.be/MEmGOxzCJuk

Yes, thank you. I know this video. But I said that I don't want to replace it but repair it !!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Some of the stuff that comes through my shop indicates some owners have no respect for their equipment.
Geo

I've been working in a synth shop too for several years. And if it's true that some people are not respectful of their equipment, I must say it's not the majority.
All in all, it's not my case. I'm very careful with my equipment, manipulate the joystick with attention. I'm not a professionnal musician, and I'm using it for my pleasure only, so from time to time only.
I've got a new Kronos 2 less than one year and a half.

So, my conlusion is : the joystick is a very weak element of the Kronos.

Thanks for your advice of using a spray.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with geoelectro, there is nothing wrong with the Kronos movable components like joysticks, buttons, etc. About quality, Korg has nothing to envy to other companies like Yamaha or Roland. The joystick on my 1990 Wavestation A/D still worked perfectly when I sold it a couple of years ago.

The fault could be related to one of the tiny PCBs attached to the joystick and/or a soldering trace that is starting to become loose on them, etc. It is very easy to diagnose and repair and even quicker and simpler to replace the whole assembly.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I agree with geoelectro, there is nothing wrong with the Kronos movable components like joysticks, buttons, etc. About quality, Korg has nothing to envy to other companies like Yamaha or Roland. The joystick on my 1990 Wavestation A/D still worked perfectly when I sold it a couple of years ago.

The fault could be related to one of the tiny PCBs attached to the joystick and/or a soldering trace that is starting to become loose on them, etc. It is very easy to diagnose and repair and even quicker and simpler to replace the whole assembly.

I am very happy for you if you've never got any problem with your Korg synths !
Well, It's not my case, nor the case of many peope !
(Just read again the Kletsivo post above !)

Whatever the reason for this issue, it is an issue I must solve .Finally, I've ordered the two PCBs and will replace them. I had no other choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: