Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a Krome to control a Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharper007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Using a Krome to control a Kronos Reply with quote

Hi all,

Apologies for cross pollination, but I’m going to post this in both the Kronos and Krome groups for what will become obvious reasons.

I’ve recently bought myself a Kronos 73 which I’m loving (obviously). In fact I’m loving it so much that my clone wheel organ that I use as my second keyboard had become pretty much redundant, so I intend to replace it with something better suited to controlling the Kronos.

I figured if I was to go for a Krome 61, it might serve two purposes; firstly it could act as a controller for the Kronos, but also it would act as an ideal rehearsal keyboard.

So, does anybody have any experience of using the Krome as a controller for the Kronos, and if so, how do you find it?

Thanks very much in advance!
Grog96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharper,

I use a Kronos X 61 and a Krome 73 together. The Kronos produces all the sounds, the Krome is simply an extension of the keyboard surface. Obviously, this affords me a larger range of keys that I can assign sounds to.

The two keyboards are connected via a USB cable for MIDI. I have set the Kronos' Global MIDI channel to 2, as I found some inconsistencies when it was set to 1. The Krome is set to channel 3. I then configure all my sounds on the Kronos as Combis and Songs to respond to those channels.

The Kronos audio goes out to the PA; the Krome makes no sounds of its own - in fact I typically have the Local Mode setting switched off. This is because in the early days I encountered the Krome issue where the high-quality piano samples would stutter, and eventually the entire keyboard would become unresponsive, necessitating a reboot (not ideal during a gig). However, I found the fix for this; you buy a good quality SD card, duplicate the contents of the (poor-quality) internal SD card onto it using a special utility program on your PC, and install that in place of the duff one. There is a detailed explanation of how to do this on t'interwebs (I forget where, try searching for "korg krome internal sd card") but it may not be for the faint hearted!

HTH Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: