Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg kronos UPS protection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliv73

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: korg kronos UPS protection Reply with quote

Hello

AS Kronos take a long time to start it can be a good idea to use it with UPS.
There are different model on the market : standby , line interactive , online + pure sinus/pseudo sinus ...
Do you think Kronos require a high quality model with online + pure sinus or basic units are ok without risks for kronos components ?

Oliver
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Personally, I don't think it matters that much as long as you have a unit that can keep you running through brown outs and cuts of five-ten minutes (for cuts longer than that your show would be halted)

I just purchased a fairly standard APC UPS when I acquired my Kronos, and it works a treat.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: korg kronos UPS protection Reply with quote

oliv73 wrote:
Hello

AS Kronos take a long time to start it can be a good idea to use it with UPS.
There are different model on the market : standby , line interactive , online + pure sinus/pseudo sinus ...
Do you think Kronos require a high quality model with online + pure sinus or basic units are ok without risks for kronos components ?

Oliver

Thats a good question. The real problem are power surges, when power returns.

Thats where Kronos is touchy. So a decent UPS has to have very good surge protection. I tend to think this is standard but you should make sure.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent stepped sine wave UPS will be fine. That is what I have been using for my PC and Kronos for years without a single problem. Because I live a bit far from the city, the AC lines here are not super stable, so an UPS is mandatory.

The risks to damage your Kronos are much greater if you do not use one at all, so again even a basic stepped sine wave unit will add a very good protection to your instrument.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surge protector bought separately. I use a surge protected Multplier or power strip.

I don’t use a UPS even in countries with frequent power outages. And yes my Kronos has run through power outs in USA and Mexico.
Every time, it comes back on with no issue. Although, if i am around when power goes out, i shut down kronos because some times the power will come back on for only 10 seconds and not allow Kronos a full reboot before cutting power again.

I got the brave habit from back when i had Krog triton extreme. I never used a surge protecter back then and one day a power out and surge happened and all my korg devices survived without a scratch. My Boss Dr880 got the screen backlight fried and also the patch that was on at the time, it retained a permanent electronic pop anytime i scrolled to or from it. It was a pop that came through the speakers. But did not affect the patch itslef or any vital function. Just LCD backlight was lost and the pop with scroll dial into amdmout of one patch out of 500 patches.
The Korg Triton and Korg D-3200 made through spotless, and also plugged into 220v or 120v power supply.
Kronos is the same, but i will agree that Kronos similarities to a computer with the boot time issues, makes it easy to run into OS issues with power cutting in and out during boot up.

So i use a surge protector more importantly and so far have survived more than a few power losses, without any issues to kronos.
Of course i don’t do gigs where the boot time issue becomes a problem.
I don’t gig other than going out to play for fun and no paid contract to play.
Casual settings and i just roll with the tide.
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spend so much money on Kronos cost of UPS is pocket money so why not I have mine from day one.
stevewahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not there yet (I'm an amateur with no high-importance gigs, mostly just jamming with friends), but when I do buy a UPS for this purpose I think I'd be looking hard at the extra weight of the UPS.

Are they all as heavy as the lead-acid battery units I'm used to, or have they started selling lighter ones based on something else?
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an inexpensive Cyberpower 350VA unit for a few years, it's pretty small / light and does the job...

df
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an APC UPS for some years now. Great for gigs where the venue has limiters. The only disadvantage is that it's bulky and heavy - I have the APC UPS400.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been using APC for years on my KRONOS. The power grid here in Ireland is excellent, but I have still heard the UPS kicking in from time to time over the years.

You pay so much for your KRONOS, it seems only logical you should protect that investment. Even more so if your gigging with the KRONOS.

Regards
Sharp.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another APC user here, mine kicks in from time to time as well.

I have everything hanging off it via a Furman PS-8R power sequencer/filter.

Cant be too paranoid about these things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: