Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and Kingkorg : is it worthwhile ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Kronos and Kingkorg : is it worthwhile ? Reply with quote

Hello,

Anyone knows that the Kronos is a very powerful and versatile synth. I don't know if one day I will come at the end of the path with it !!

But, I would want to ask to the people who have a Kingkorg with their Kronos : can you get all sounds produced by the Kingkorg with your Kronos ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I like what I am hearing.

I think you could compare spec of the K and KK. Esp filter types.

KK might be good for instant gratification for synth sounds.

These days I always think recording on any board. I see midi. Looks like a USB out. So it appears songs can be banged out, assuming their are some drum kits.
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them if you want something different get Montage I got one with Kronos perfect match.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Kronos alongside the Roland System-8 - Great combo, especially now that Roland have added extra Oscillator and filter variations with the latest update.

I had a KK for a while, but apart from the excellent filters, it just didn't do anything for me. The AL-1 engine is pretty versatile, sounds great, and covers most of my "analogue" needs. I got the S8 for instant tweakability, although I'm not too bothered about the Plug-Out concept (already dead in the water), but it's still nice to have the Jupiter 8 engine handy.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
These days I always think recording on any board. I see midi. Looks like a USB out. So it appears songs can be banged out, assuming their are some drum kits.

Sorry Greg, I don't understand this part of your post !

leonh wrote:
Most of them if you want something different get Montage I got one with Kronos perfect match.

Yes but all I heard from Montage didn't convince me. FM synthesis, Sample reader, etc...Kronos do all that very well !!

Broadwave wrote:
I use my Kronos alongside the Roland System-8 - Great combo, especially now that Roland have added extra Oscillator and filter variations with the latest update.

Yes, that's an idea. I will have a look at that. Thanks.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
leonh wrote:

Yes but all I heard from Montage didn't convince me. FM synthesis, Sample reader, etc...Kronos do all that very well !!

I don't own neither the Montage nor the King Korg, but in my head these would serve completely different users. When I tried the Montage in the shop, and what I've seen in videos, and it is a very deep synth with huge potential which sounds great. And yes, Kronos can do the same things and more, but of course, different engines will lead to different nuances and that will in turn affect how you end up playing those sounds. So if that is what you're after, I'm sure it would compliment nicely. I quickly concluded that Montage was not for me. I have the versatile and complicated beast in the Kronos.

A King Korg on the other hand is, compared to the Montage or the Kronos is a bit more hands on, so while the AL-1 and the other synth engines + IFX can in 99% of the cases give you the same audible results, the hands on aspect means you play it quite differently, turning knobs as you go. Kronos, of course, has this as well through the Tone Adjust, but in practice it ends up being a bit differently, as the Tone Adjust needs to be, to some extent, planned ahead of time.

I added an Arturia MicroBrute to my setup last summer, and was tremendously happy with that. It is dead simply, but very hands on and fun to tweak. Liking that, I recently added a MiniBrute 2 and Moog Mother 32 as well, and again, the separate synths with their own hands on tweakability makes for a very fun and creative environment. Once I get to recording and if I were to play live, I tend to model all those other synths in the Kronos, but for the creative process, the hands on, knobby free-form editing, works well for me.

Good luck with your choice Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: