Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample programs not stopping when changing combis?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Sample programs not stopping when changing combis? Reply with quote

Having issues with sample programs on a loop not cutting out when i change combis during live set.
Have two combi programs on my set list for 1 song.. intro has a sample loop program in the combi on channel 1.. 2nd combi has different sample program loop on channel 1. Both set to cutoff after 1 second when switched..
Start song with combi 1 and activate that sample loop while playing the rest of the accompaniment...then 1/2 way thru song need to pull up 2nd combi and activate the sample loop associated with that combi... the 1st loop continues to play?..if i try this without touching the keybed, it works as advertised with 1st combi loop stopping and 2nd one starting? What am i missing here... also, cant combine to 1 combi with the 2 loops because of roo many sounds...
Thanks...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not you pressing sustain or holding the note/key down as you change combi, for smooth sound transition, then it is likely something in Sample mode setup.
SST is a coveted feature in Korg kronos. It means if you hold a note or sustain pedal as you change programs or Combis, the previous sound will continue until you let go.
In case your issue is note holding routine you are doing as you change combis, you need to work out a split second or best you can do, to let up on the note and press again when new combi come up.

I never noticed any setting to turn off SST in kronos, but there may be a way or a parameter or setting that has equivalent effect of disabling SST.
I am just speculating out of thoughts that such a setting would have some use.

If it is not SST getting in your way, then i think it is issue in sample mode with sample settings.
Custom made samples made in Sample mode, stay in Sample mode in the User sample bank.
When you convert them to a program, they still remain only in Sampling mode user-sample bank. So any odd behaviour uncharacteristic of regular program mode, is likely part of the sample mode settings for your sample when it was made.

I had sample behaviour issues before ,and issues correcting it in sampling mode. Seemed that once made, it was set in stone, to all settings when saved. I had a hard time getting back to change things around and i think i staryed all over again and make the new version with exactly what i needed.
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick response.. I did try sustain, no sustain, playing chords, single notes etc... seem like once the loop starts, it will continue to play forever if i play any note in that combi and attempt to switch to another combi... once in another combi and then hands off and switch to a 3rd combi.. the original loop will stop...strange? I'll keep playing with it...
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i cant figure this out, i guess i will have to determine how to set up a way to stop a sampled loop program in a combi... then find the right spot in the song to try and stop that loop before switching to the new combi...i only have 2 songs like this, and was just hoping the auto cutout would work, so no biggie...
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the loop stops when you switch to a third combi, then it's definitely related to SST (Smooth Sound Transition).

Note that the hold time you specify for SST in the set list only applies once all sounding notes, the sustain pedal etc have been released.

Have you tried setting the "Hold Time" in Global to 0?

Also, is "Hold" set on the program playing the sample? Not sure how this parameter might interact with SST as I don't use SST much myself, but as far as I know it essentially emulates you holding down the key that triggers the sound indefinitely. This might be the cause of your woes Smile
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the HOLD box selected so the loop will run continuously.. Just played around with it again and it is actually intermittenet now...sometimes it works, sometimes not... (which is worse)...
So can't rely on this during live gig.. Will go to plan B and try and have a "kill" switch for the loop before switching combis...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very basic of SST is that if you are holding any note with your finger, and you change to another program or combi, the previous combi or program will continue to sound after the next page of program or combi opens.
Sustain pedal will also serve SST function.

If you have endles note hold on, that ends up serving just like sustain pedal. Even with reduced hold time, it still does not stop the sustain effect which carriers the sound over via SST.
SST has to oblige any note held under finger or any way sustain is made active during sound transitions.
Is there a way of using sample loop feature where hold function is not involved?

Have you ever worked with Sequencer mode’s “Pattern RPPR” to see if it can create what you need? If you have two combis and each has just one or two sample programs, you may be able to combine them into one sequencer song and use RPPR to engage them independently. And still have other keys zoned into working for other tracks/timbre. 16 tracks to work with and each useable key or note can have its own unique sample phrase applied and set to run endless or momemtary and even have various ways to stop it.
RPPR disables the bottom 2 octaves of the keyboard. They default to a huge swath of “kill switch”.

Since you mentioned looking for a kill switch, RPPR came to mind. RPPR drives samples and even phrases made from a sample and also has the most kill-switch real estate i ever saw on a keyboard, a bit too much kill switch realestate, when it blocks out nearly two octaves of balck and white keys -just to make excess kill switch.

I guess RPPR is so intricate that it can runaway with itself useing so many keys to drive as many of 100 phrase options the keys can cover. So a huge swath of kill switch can’t be missed when reaching out in panic from a runaway train.
RPPR can also play midi CC messages that do not involve sound making. So you can make an RPPR phrase(pattern) that has no midi notes, just midi cc messages for control or sysex or note data if you want.
I wonder how to isolate a note-off message and use that to make a phrase that does nothing but send a note off message when the assigned key is engaged?
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thank you.
I'm very familiar with the RPPR stuff...
Just don't like losing all those keys (have the LS 8Cool when in SEQ mode. I know the work around of using Global to transpose the entire board to minimize all those "all sounds off" keys, but don't like changing Global for live gigs... Still looking at other alternatives..
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tested it and as far as I can tell, it's behaving as it should. That is, once a note is held using the "Hold" option, SST will try to sustain the note as long as possible.

Fortunately, there's a couple of easy ways to work around this.

As I mentioned in my previous post, setting "Hold Time" to "0" in Global will disable SST completely. I've just tested it with a looped sample and it works fine when switching programs.

The second way is to use the Sostenuto feature rather than the Hold feature:
- Turn off "Hold" mode for the program.
- Set one of the controller knobs (e.g. Knob 5) to CC #66
- Now, when you press the note to trigger the sample, turn Knob 5 fully clockwise to engage Sostenuto. Make sure no other notes are being played. This will sustain (hold) any notes that are being played at the time sostenuto is engaged.
- When you want to kill the loop, turn the knob fully counter clockwise.

Hope that helps,
Lee
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
rmdrent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks...will try that when I get home tonight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: