Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Drift" parameter on waves engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgarner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: "Drift" parameter on waves engine Reply with quote

If you:

- Turn Parameter Display to "All"
- Use the USR/WAVES engine on the third oscillator
- Hold SHIFT while turning the MULTI SHAPE knob

... you see a 0-100% "DRIFT" parameter change.

I can't discern any change in sound.

Anyone else had any success making this one do anything?
Grokaknock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch, I wonder if that is new...Since the 1.12 update? I don't remember seeing that before but I guess I could have missed it. I don't hear any change at all when tweaking it. Man, feels like we are out in the wild west here fending for ourselves.

Have you noticed all the blank slots in the manual under the Program Edit Mode, Function Mode and Global Modes? Looks like there is lots of room to add functionality in the future.
HW: Model D (Original) <> Prologue 16 <> OB-6 <> Prophet REV 2 <> Minitaur <> Sub37 <> Slim Phatty <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Korg Triton Le <> Korg synths I have owned: Poly 800 - Poly 800 MKII - M1 - Z1 (miss this one)

SW: Nuendo and too many soft synths to mention.
Synthee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its supposed to make a drift in the pitch between Wave A and Wave B in the user oscillator, but its very subtile, I can hear a little difference when the shape is bright.

You can read more about it here, under User Oscillator:

https://www.emusician.com/how-to/master-class-korg-prologue
rgarner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried it again tonight. It's there, but it's *so* slight. Useful though. I do like the Shift/knob combos – reversing the LFO sawtooth with it has been very useful – but in the case of the second multi-engine operator it feels like it should have been front and centre.

I'm not too worried so long as every target gets a MIDI CC. Not much is there so far. I've written an extra sine LFO in Logic Scripter and mapped all the params that can be routed to two targets if anyone needs an extra LFO. I'll bump that count to 3 extra LFOs with a few waveforms when I get the time. Finding it most useful for modulating the existing LFO's rate, as that's the thing I miss most from the Minilogue...

EDIT: thanks for the masterclass link, Synthee. There are still a few things I've not found in there. I skipped right past Triphase and a love a good Solina patch Smile
hobscure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into the code for what it does:
Code:

inline void updatePitch(float w0) {
    w0 += state.imperfection;
    const float drift = params.shiftshape;
    state.w00 = w0;
    // Alt osc with slight drift (0.25Hz@48KHz)
    state.w01 = w0 + drift * 5.20833333333333e-006f;
    // Sub one octave and a phase drift (0.15Hz@48KHz)
    state.w0sub = 0.5f * w0 + drift * 3.125e-006f;
  }

It just slightly drifts/offsets the second oscillator pitch. To give it that analogue feel.
akb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: User bank is now empty Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link to the master class. A good and in depth article that explains many usefull things.

But when I tried to go in and do as they explained I noticed that the last update seem to remove the one user oscillator that used to be there. On my Prologue there are no oscillators in the user oscillators anymore. And consequently not possible to edit anyting in it asshown in the guide.
So I'm not able to follow the tutorial and experiment with the waves that are supposed to be there.

Could it be because I have tested the library software? I haven't used it to write anything to my Prologue as far as I know. I just wanted to see what it looked like and to verify I'm able to use it.
It does show that all user oscillators are empty.
rgarner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: User bank is now empty Reply with quote

akb wrote:

But when I tried to go in and do as they explained I noticed that the last update seem to remove the one user oscillator that used to be there. On my Prologue there are no oscillators in the user oscillators anymore. And consequently not possible to edit anyting in it asshown in the guide.

Hi akb. I had a similar problem post-1.20. First, have you performed all the steps in the update PDF? There are three – the firmware update itself, a panel update and a voice update. That last one is critical – I forgot it and one of the symptoms was that WAVES ceased to work and then disappeared entirely.

Second, once all three parts of the update are applied, and if your WAVES oscillator is still absent, you need to restore it by *either* performing a factory reset (back up your patches with Librarian first) or dragging the
Code:
waves.prlgunit
into the User Oscillators section through librarian. I dragged mine from my clone of the SDK, but then had to perform a factory reset for an unrelated reason.

Hope this helps.
akb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
I did the opdate according to the PDF, but in my case I only had to do 2 of the operations. The firmware update obviously, and the voice update. But I did the check to see what updates I needed as the PDF explains, and it only showed that the voices needed an update, so I did.
But I just got the synth, and it might already have the panel updated. I get the same versions as others here report to have when checking.
I know the oscillator was there before this update, but upgrading did remove ot for me.

I did find out that the librarian software come with a file for the waves oscillator, and was able to install it. So I'm ok now.
Grokaknock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they changed this "Drift" parameter in the latest update. It now says "Shift-Shape 0%-100%" It does something but I can't tell what. Love the guessing games Korg likes to play.
HW: Model D (Original) <> Prologue 16 <> OB-6 <> Prophet REV 2 <> Minitaur <> Sub37 <> Slim Phatty <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Korg Triton Le <> Korg synths I have owned: Poly 800 - Poly 800 MKII - M1 - Z1 (miss this one)

SW: Nuendo and too many soft synths to mention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: