Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RESAVING SONG FILES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbyrd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: RESAVING SONG FILES Reply with quote

Hi!

I am very new to the Korg world. I have a Korg Kronos Workstation, & I am slowly learning to record with it.

I recorded a song, using just a piano track. Well, I had to turn the pages & left out some of the bass notes. I have added those bass notes on track 2. However, I have incorrectly saved the song file because those bass notes are no longer there.

What steps do I follow to resave a song file to make sure what I have added to it is not deleted?

Could you tell me what part of the manuals or video tutorials talk about this?

Thank you!

pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There are two ways of saving your songs - one is simply to save this first song you have done, and then you can load it again next time you power up. The better way is to create a folder to save this song and any subsequent songs you record so that they all save and load up together, rather than individually.

To simply save just the one song, go to disk mode, click the 'save' button near the bottom of the screen and then click on the button in the right hand top corner. From the menu, click 'save song' and it will do it. Next time you power up, go to disk mode, click the load 'menu' at the bottom of the screen, click on the file you want to load, open up the window in the top right hand corner and click 'load selected'.

To build up a collection of songs, first go to disk mode. Click on the utility button at the bottom of the screen, then open up the window in the top right. From the menu, select 'create directory'. This will make you a new folder, which you will be invited to rename. When you come to save your songs, open up the folder and save all your songs to that folder as described above.

You also follow a very similar procedure to save your PCG and any sampling data - take a look around the various windows mentioned above, and you'll quickly get a feel for it. You don't need to save your PCG every time you back up your songs, but it is good practice to back it up every once in a while. You do need to save any newly-created sampling data at the end of your session, though. There is an option to 'save all' in save mode, which will do just that.

Check out the Sequencer and disk mode sections in your manual. There is also a help button on the Kronos itself, which you can click on at any time without losing your work. It's like a potted version of the manual, and can be quite useful. It's also worth searching the forum - there is a lot of useful stuff to be found on here.

Happy exploring!

I tend to start a new song folder for each year, and also for specific projects. That has made it much simpler for me to go back through all the music I have made and find individual pieces quickly.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the second save with the bass track, is in a different new file made and not saved to the first file.
Are you naming your files when you save them?
This helps easily locate what you have saved.

I don’t have to bother with making a directory when i name a file as i save it. The name directs me to it when i look for it.

Making a directory is very useful for deep files where you need to organize a lot of content in one file.
I don’t work with so much content, so a simple save with a file name is enough to direct me back to my saves.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, 19naia. We're kind of drifting away from the original topic here, and I don't want to over-complicate things for someone who is new to the Kronos. But I just wanted to add why directories work for me. We all work differently, of course...

My way of working is just to record new pieces all the time. When I have amassed maybe 8 or 9 months' of work, I then go back and revisit them and end up taking final mixes to post online, or whatever.

I bought my Kronos in early 2013, and made songs for the first few months using just the Factory PCG - obviously there were plenty of new sounds there for me to explore. At the end of that year, it was time for me to move on. So I saved all the 2013 songs, the PCG and some sampling data etc into a folder named - oddly enough - '2013'.

By the time it came to start my next batch of pieces, I knew that I wanted to change the sounds I used a little. For example, I didn't need all the similar-sounding organs or pianos and electric pianos, and I had little need of most of the brass. I had also bought some third-party sounds to install. I also loaded a few thousand drum samples, and organised them into 60 or so drum kit programs. Then I reorganised the location of many of the sounds to suit me better. It was this new mix of sounds that I used for my 2014 batch, and so I saved them all to a new folder to avoid later confusion.

That process has continued since then, and my various PCGs differ significantly from each other. When I need to go back to my older pieces, it's really easy for me to do so because of the way in which I have organised them in folders. If I hadn't done so, it would be a nightmare to try and remap all the various sounds and songs. This system has also meant that I have been able to experiment with a huge variety of sounds.

Anyway, that's how I do it - we're all different.
Redbyrd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: RESAVING SONG FILES - RESPONSE Reply with quote

HI!

Thank you for your responses. I will see about following the directions from the first post & go from there.

I decided to go to my keyboard to go through what I have been doing to open up my song file. Now, one thing that I did was to create a folder named for the song. Whenever I have gone to the song itself, it is right now called S000. I assume that actually means Sequence0000. Can I change the name of the Sequence to the song name?

Also, when I have retrieved the file the last two times, as screen pops up that has all these choice - Load (song name) - PCG too, Load (song name) - KSC too, Load (song name) - KGE too, PCG Contents - ALL, KSC Allocation - Append, Clear Sampling Mode Data, Clear All. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
I have selected Append because I don't think I want to clear anything.

Please give me some direction on all of this.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RESAVING SONG FILES - RESPONSE Reply with quote

Redbyrd wrote:
HI!

Thank you for your responses. I will see about following the directions from the first post & go from there.

I decided to go to my keyboard to go through what I have been doing to open up my song file. Now, one thing that I did was to create a folder named for the song. Whenever I have gone to the song itself, it is right now called S000. I assume that actually means Sequence0000. Can I change the name of the Sequence to the song name?

Also, when I have retrieved the file the last two times, as screen pops up that has all these choice - Load (song name) - PCG too, Load (song name) - KSC too, Load (song name) - KGE too, PCG Contents - ALL, KSC Allocation - Append, Clear Sampling Mode Data, Clear All. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
I have selected Append because I don't think I want to clear anything.

Please give me some direction on all of this.

Pete.m has covered in his last comment, what all the load options are about.
A song has tracks with programs assinged to it, PCG is Programs, Combis, Global settings.

If you load a song created with a particular set of Programs, you want to have that ordered-slot set of programs load with the song, so loading PCG with the song can be useful if auto load does not already load the relevant PCG to your song.

Pete.m said he eventually altered his original working PCG for the need to move on to newer sounds. He probably altered his auto load sets as well. Songs made with the old working PCGs will not load with needed progams in each track if the new PCG set does not organize the programs in the same old program number slots. Or if new auto load sets do not include the sound where they need to be to serve the song.
The tedium disadvantages of owning a system as flexible and open to customized setups.
But is worth it to figure out the flexibility matrix of it all. Not all that hard once you start to follow how it works.

Maybe you are so new to kronos to have never altered PCG setups and auto load sets. If so, no need worry about load options such as load PCG with songs. No worry if all you work with is factory loaded PCG.
Auto load works at boot up to load factory PCG. You can later learn to put your own custom PCG to auto load, but very good that you are learning well what you are working on now.

Same with KSC, Sampling data and other song loading options.. No need concern about them if you have not customized them.

But you are correct to choose “Append” to be safe, until you know better what is happening in kronos load and save actions.

Songs... S000 or S001 are the slot numbers per each song.
And if you do not name each song, it will save under default song slot number.
The problem comes when you have a lot songs over time or even multiple songs created in S000 slot or S001 slot and onward slots.
Which S000 do you load if you have two songs saved as default name S000? One may have your missing bass track and the other will not.

Unique name per each instance of a song made in S-number slot, is the beginning of a good directory.

After that, you are right to follow Pete.m about using file directories and other save tips.
Pete is obviously more prolific in his song work than i am.
I work within Factory set, and a few added sets and customized slots that were epmty from factory, also some custom user samples put to programs, but all of this still within one PCG set. And also my song work compilation is just a dusty handful of experiments used to learn sequencer mode.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Song 000 is actually the song itself - sequences are just the elements that make up that song. A sequence might be some four-bar pattern that you loop over and over, or else a full performance of a piece on, say, a piano.
Each part of your song - piano, bass or whatever - is recorded on successive midi tracks, tracks 01-16, all part of the one song.

To rename the song, click the button in the top right hand corner of the screen, and 'rename song' is one of the options. Click on that, and you're away.

As for loading, it's easier than it appears. In the case you describe, you can just click load when that page with all the options appears - that's it!

You leave the PCG check box empty, because the PCG is stored when you power off and is always already loaded when you power up again. You would only check it if you actually wanted to load a new, different version of your PCG.
You leave the KSC check box empty, unless you specifically have sampling data that you want to load with your songs. (If - like me with all the drum samples that I mentioned in my earlier post - you need to have a whole lot of sampling data loaded up every time, you would use the auto-load function in Global mode to automatically do it for you, but save that for another time!)
You leave the KGE box unchecked too, unless you specifically have KGEs that you want to load with your song. This is all to do with the Kronos's Karma system, something that I haven't got around to using yet! You don't need it here.

As for .sng allocation append and clear buttons, just leave it set to clear. It won't have any effect anyway, because you have just powered up and no songs are yet loaded. You would use 'append' if you had already loaded some songs, and wished to append other songs from another folder - say you had already loaded a set of five songs, and then wanted to add in a sixth song that had previously been stored in another folder.

I've found a good video that will help you a little more with disk mode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwEWdbOHYE. It starts off talking about sampling, but the disk mode is explained after about the first 90 seconds or so.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: