Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone explain what are anchor for in audio track?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Can someone explain what are anchor for in audio track? Reply with quote

With a simple example perhaps. I read the user manual but I really don't get it.

Thanks
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Seriously no one knows what its for?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the term or word in a flow chart in the manual. I am not sure exactly what it is either. It might not be significant or its a synonym
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequencer tracks Audio event edit. Parameter guide page 641. Excerpt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4. Select the event you want to edit, and use the VALUE controller to input the desired values.

• You can edit the Location Measure and “Beat Tick” to move the location of the event. However, you can’t place two or more events at the same location.

• If you check the “Anchor” check box, the anchor point location will be displayed in Measure and “Beat Tick”, and you can specify the location using this anchor point as the reference. This is convenient when a point inside a region needs to be aligned at a specific location.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Says here, “Anchor” is used as a point of reference for aligning a region of audio stream to a specific location.
You set the start and end of region being edited in audio event edit. Anchor then sets a point somwhere in that region between start and end.

You have the resolution of the Measure and beat tick that demarcates where each audio event falls in time. Anchor sets a point that you then can move your audio stream region to or around. A frame of reference that can be other than start or end points of region in edit. Anchor looks like it can also be set to reside at start point or end point.
Events over time is the structure and Anchor helps point you more obviously to a location in time for your events to line up on.
The alternative is using the beat tick in the measure and looking for it as you align your events.
I think using Anchor option comes more in handy when the resolution of the wave form is such that you cannot get a good reference of your beat tick locations in the measure.
So anchor mark sits where you can easily see it -and it can be set to reside at whatever beat tick or measure you ground it.

Page 643 parameter guide excerpt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8. “Set Anchor”: This sets the anchor point at the beginning of the first measure from where the audio event is placed.
Select the event that uses the region in which you want to specify an anchor point, and press the Set Anchor button. For more about how to use anchor points, refer to step 4.
Note: If you want to edit the anchor point that is automatically set here, use TRIM to make adjustments in units of samples.
Tip: For example, you can specify the anchor point as the starting location of a region. Then you can turn on “Use Anchor,” and easily place that phrase at the beginning of another measure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When setting anchor this way, it automatically anchors you to the start of the measure that your target event is. Narrows you down to the frame of the measure, accurately.
Then you have the option to edit the anchor point to somwhere else and use that to refer your event to somewhere else.
Seems like a third frame of reference in region edit where the region is standardly formed by a start point and end point. Then you have added anchor point which can be start point or end point aligned or even aligned to an arbitrary point in between.
Looks to be useful when moving the full audio stream through the region.
I am guessing the anchor point stays with the audio stream as you move it through the stationary start and end points.

Maybe Like water moving under a ship and the ship free to move around on the water or using an embedded anchor to hold the ship in position while the water moves around under the ship. You have stationary sea bed, moving water ,and a ship that can move independent of the water direction and independent of the sea bed.

Or like with air craft? Moving aircraft, moving air and then the stationary ground.
They get their geo position based on the ground and then move through the air at their own rate while the air moves independently at its own rate and affects the aircraft movement relative to the ground position.
So hard to get a frame of reference without a reference point anchored to a fixed and known point. So the aircraft could fly 100 miles per hour though the air but the air blows the plane 50 miles per hours backwards, so the aircraft only moves forward half as fast. It could blow it sidways or even blow it forwards twice as fast if conditions are there for it.
So if you read movement rate by air speed, it will seem like you cover 100 miles in an hour, but with a strong enough head wind, ground speed can show you only covered 50 miles.
So what reference point to anchor to? -for your conclusions in a 3 part medium where each part can move independent of each other?

Maybe not as complex for Kronos Audio event edit -but the same universal relativity issues and the need for always more frames of references to get a better grip on what is really going on.

I hope i didnt go overboard and make it seem like one needs a course in Einstein’s general relativity just to make full use of audio event edit features..
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind answer. I understand in theory, but I can't think of any practical example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: