Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS2000B Arp/Sequencer syncing problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Automation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: MS2000B Arp/Sequencer syncing problem. Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have been pulling my hair out over here trying to solve this problem but so far no luck. I am a long time MS2000B user and owner and love the synth.

My problem is that when I use the arp (with or without the step sequencer engaged) the chords I am triggering through Cubase often start playback a few ms late as if the sequence kind of stutters before the new chord in the progression begins playback.

Let's say I have a sequence with 5 chords and some individual notes in between; I press playback and the sequence begins to play and the arp is doing its thing as is the step sequencer and all sounds perfectly fine until a new chord begins and there is a momentary stutter as if the arp or sequence has to re-find itself time wise for a moment before the new chord plays...there is no seamless transition from chord to chord with the arp sequence. This stutter is short but it messes up the flow of the sequence...

I am syncing the MS2000B to Cubase and that is solid. The tempo on the synth reflects that of Cubase. I have read the manual and gone through the various editor pages in the synth itself but I can't figure it out.

I checked all the different arp types (up, down, alt1, alt2, random) and the only arp settings where the flow is more or less perfect is up & down...all the other types cause this stutter between chords.

I would be really, really, grateful for absolutely any advice anyone has!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure it will help. I also can not try it at home...

Did you try to switch ON the key sync function in the arpeggiator menu?
It sounds like that due to latency, Cubase sends the chord a bit late vs the arpeggiator sequence.

Have fun.
Automation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp! Thanks for your reply!

Yes, Key sync is on and still the stutter/latency Rolling Eyes

I also wonder if "Alt 1" arp is just a bit off?? Alt 1 and 2 as well as random give me this problem more so than up/down...
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmh, just thinking out loudly...

In Cubase did you 'draw' the chords for the whole measure?
Maybe releasing the previous chord and hitting the next one is a bit too close to handle properly by the MS2K?

You can try also the latch mode of the arpeggiator and draw the chord just for an 8th note or so at the start of each measure.

It's worth trying it out.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness and other users running in the same issue...

It turned out that switching the ARP setting Target to 'both' was the solution.

Meaning the program which showed the stuttering effect was a dual timbre program. Before switching Target to 'both', the chords sent by CuBase trigger both timbres. The one in the Target parameter will be arpeggiated, the other one just sounds. At the moment CuBase releases the chord, the arpeggiator may still sound, while the other timbre stops. That caused the stuttering sound.

By setting Target to 'both', both the timbres starts to be arpeggiated at the same moment.

Remark also that the MS2K has only 4 voices to be spread over the 2 timbres (refer to 01A: COMMON “Mode” and 01B: COMMON “Timbre Voice”). When you use complex chords with a lot of notes, the board may apply voice stealing, meaning it will cutoff an existing voice/note/sound to reuse it for a new received note. That will also sound weird and may add to the stuttering effect as well.

Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: