Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample to Drum Pad. How?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Sample to Drum Pad. How? Reply with quote

How on earth do I turn a sample into a drum pad? My sample wav is on the Korg but I don't see the sample anywhere when I try to choose a new pad sound. Is there a simple way?
Cheers

Pa700
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample to Drum Pad Reply with quote

SimonK wrote:
.. I turn a sample into a drum pad ..

First you have to create a Sound or a DrumKit, because samples you can not use directly for Pads of Pa-Keyboards.
That is because of the structure of basic-sounds, that consists of Programs (Filetype PCG) to be selected per Panel or per Midi-Commands (MSB, LSB, PC).

A program may be a Sound or a DrumKit. A Sound use one or more oscillators, whereas a DrumKit use only one oscillator.
Oscillators of Sounds uses samples organized in one or two Multisamples, whereas DrumKits use samples organized in Layers.

Samples to be used for editing programs are memorized in RAM (factory samples) or ROM (user samples).

PS: Loading wav-files in Pa-Keyboards is done in sample-edit and it is necessary to save that samples before you add it to a multisample (or drumkit), that is used for a program you want assign to a pad.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
SimonK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It all sounds amazingly over complicated for an end user. Any idea which menus I need to go through to turn this wav into something I can use on a pad then?

I've created a new sound but then through the myriad of menus I cant see anywhere to reference a sound of any type. The 'basic' sound menu has stuff for oscillators, transpose range, voice assign etc but nothing to point at an actual sound. Any idea where this is?

Maybe I'm missing something?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Wave-file to be used for Pads Reply with quote

SimonK wrote:
.. which menus I need to go through to turn this wav into something I can use on a pad then? ... 'basic' sound menu has .. nothing to point at an actual sound ...

Maybe using a wave-file named "mywave" you want to use as sound for a pad:
In SAMPLE MENU you will find "SampleEdit/SampleRecord", "TimeSlice" and "Multisample".

In "SampleEdit/SampleRecord" use the command "Load Sample" to load your "mywave" sample in WAVE format. Then, before you leaving the Sampling mode, use the Write command (page menue SampleEdit) to save your unsaved sample to the internal memory as a New Sample, maybe named "myPCM".
Next in menu "Multisample" use command "Init Multisample" to create a new, blank multisample where only one Zone will be available, with no sample assigned. Assign sample number/name of your sample (mypcm) and use Write command (page menue Multisample) to save your User-Multisample, maybe named "myMS", to the internal memory.
In SOUND MENUE you will find "Main page", "Basic" etc for ordinary sound or "Main page", "DrumKit" etc for DrumKits.

In page menu use "Init Sound" Init Sound for a new sound with all parameters set to default. Then in "Basic" - where you found nothing to point an actual sound - use "High" of tab "OSC Basic" and set to RAM for user-loaded or created multisamples. Select your created Multisample (myMS) and use "Write Sound" of the page menu to save your first sound - maybe name "myPCG".
Last step to create a pad with your prefered sound - use "myPCG", that is your wave-file, converted to PCM, used in an Multisample to create your sound you want to use.
If you did not want to create a sound but a drumkit, use drumkit instead of basic in sound menue. To edit DrumKits is similar, because also Drumsamples are to select from the same stock of existing multisamples as ordinary sounds.

To get experience with editor for samples and sounds it helps to study these integrated tools with existing sounds and samples.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
SimonK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this extensive reply. It is much appreciated, however I'm running into issues almost immediately.

First of all, on my PA700 I only see Timeslice and Multisample in the menu ie no Sample Edit/Sample Record

However, I think in the end I managed to make a multisample and assigned it to some keys using the High option in the OSC tab. From that point on I am completely stuck because although I saved it as a new multisample but the keys then then didn't make any sound from that point on..

Further more I really dont understand the last couple of sentences at all and I see no option for DrumKit in the sound menu. Maybe you are using a different keyboard?

I have to say that I am completely dumb founded by the (unwarranted) over complexity and poorly design user experience for this keyboard. I would expect to just do Pad>Select sample done. Maybe I'll just buy an old discman to play my samples instead Smile
SimonK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did it. But what a huge effort for such little return!

I still dont quite understand exactly what I'm doing when I'm assigning keys to a multisample. It seems I can assign a range of pitches/keys but the interface is incredibly unintuitive.

Once I got through that stage then I discovered that creating a new pad is done in the Style mode>Mp3 record even though I cant see what relevance it has to do with styles at all. But hell, I found it at least.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Wave-file for Pads Reply with quote

SimonK wrote:
... the (unwarranted) over complexity and poorly design user experience for this keyboard ...

I don't know any arranger keyboards that are more extensive than the Korg Pa-series and offer the opportunity to parametrisize all elements of an instrument as extensively as you'd imagine. If you are looking for an instrument to be ready for playing music out of the box without personalizing - maybe your choice was not so good (maybe step-back to EK-50 or similar?).

SimonK wrote:
.. Maybe you are using a different keyboard? ..

Yes - I use a different keyboard - sometimes I use no keyboard.
But does not matter - my answers here always seems to been understood, because mostlly I did nothing else as to interepret the manual ready for download in www.
Did you ever look into a Pa700-manual?

SimonK wrote:
... I see no option for DrumKit in the sound menu ...

If you do not see options for DrumKits in the sound menue - why you do not search in manual for "DrumKit" generally?
You will find there are three different types of Pa700-sounds: sounds, drumkits, drawbars.
DrumKits and PercussionKits - where each note (key) is a different percussive instrument - you can find in Drum & SFX and UserDKBanks.

Now, if you can not find how to create a new DrumKit, why not try to edit or copy an existing DrumKit? It is the best way to analyse its structure.

Use sound-edit, select an existing DrumKit - now you are in soundedit for Drumkits. Initialize that sound (from page menu) to delete all parameters, and reset them to default values. Now you can use your "myMS" as a drumkit-instrument (instead for an oscillator of a "normal" sound) as described on page 392 (Setting the Drum Kits basic parameters).

SimonK wrote:
.. But what a huge effort for such little return! ...

If you go thru menues of editing drumkit, I am sure you again had a huge effort for a little return - that is because used ONE SAMPLE with FEW PARAMETERS ! To create a drumkit it is possible to use 1024 samples with a large number of adjustable parameters for an optimally sounding DrumKit. I wouldn't be surprised about the huge effort, but I would be happy about the first little return of an efficient expert system, which does not need the convenience of graphics-oriented software with drag and drop etc.

Same happens with your simple procedure to manually convert "myWave" to "myPad".

SimonK wrote:
.. complexity and poorly design user experience ...

I do not think complexity is unwarranted - but (sometimes) necessary. If you think best would be to say "Alexa - make Pad of myWave" to be ready, using a Pad - that wouldn't be a major challenge for engeering, as that is easy to be done with simple software and without taking into account the parametrisable structure of Pa keyboards' pads.

Look what you can do with Pads of Pa-Keyboards: that sometimes are simple one-shot-samples but sometimes also small SMFs with Midi-Events, to be created (on-the-fly, imported, copied) and controlled with chord-recognition, controllers, divided into six chord-variations, with a variety and amount of parameters, which we did not touch in the simple passage of the sample and sound editor, to generate a simple pad without special properties from a simple wave file.

SimonK wrote:
... How on earth do I turn a sample into a drum pad ... I finally did it. But what a huge effort for such little return! ...

You got an simple instruction, you where successful - I am pleased. Built-in tools appear to be poorly operable the first time (I agree) - but efficiently usable as soon as some times have worked with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: