Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step Seq Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
media-igor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Step Seq Help Reply with quote

In the factory program "80's Stereo Bass SW1" - in Step Seq recorded pattern of famous melody. The pattern is turned on by the SW1. Based on this program, I am trying to create my own patterns. Unfortunately, I can not figure out how the switch is assigned to run the created pattern. Can someone help?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

In 80's Stereo Bass SW1, the Step Seq modulates the pitch. So, go to OSC/Pitch -> Pitch EG/Mod

On "OSC1 & Pitch Modulation part, you will see AMS1 -> AMS Mixer 2 with an intensity of +12.
So, go to AMS Mixer page (the last one on the right bottom) and see AMS Mixer 2. It's a AxB type. You'll see AMS A : Step Seq and AMS B : SW1 Mod with an intensity of +99. That means that the Step Seq will operate only with SW1 on.
Now, you can keep these settings and go to Step SEQ/LFO page (the former one). Here, you will be able to create a new Set SEQ triggered with the same AMS Mixer and so, with SW1.
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
However, I saw this before.

If the "AMS Mixer" tab, instead AMS Mixer 1 & 2 <AMS>, i will install: <AMS> - nothing changes! The pattern still starts when you press SW1.

And vice versa:

I copy Step Seq to another program. I make the same settings on the tabs "AMS Mixer" & "OSC Pitch". However, the pattern does not start when you click SW1.

Similarly, I take as a basis for the program "Kyrie". In it as an "AMs Mixer" It uses “Gate”. The pattern also starts with a button SW1. I make the same settings "OSC Pitch" & "AMS Mixer" - for another program. But the pattern does not start when the button is pressed SW1.

How can I make the pattern work all the time? Regardless SW.

Unfortunately, Korg greatly complicated the elementary tasks!
With the help of software Karma Labs possible simple ways to create the necessary patterns? Or is the Karma Labs software as intricate as the Karma module itself?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
...How can I make the pattern work all the time? Regardless SW.

Instead of putting AMS Mixer 2 as AMS1 Pitch Modulation, set it directly to "Step Sequencer". That way, the step sequencer will work whatever SW position.
You can watch this tuto : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUuUQmLUQc Its in french but very easy to follow and you can watch it with automatic translation in english.

media-igor wrote:
With the help of software Karma Labs possible simple ways to create the necessary patterns? Or is the Karma Labs software as intricate as the Karma module itself?

I don't know Karma enough ! But Karma is not a step sequencer. So if you want to control exactly your phrases, the easiest way is to use Step Sequencer.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Korg greatly complicated the elementary tasks!

Did you read the Parameter Guide page 184-186 ? It's easy to follow it step by step.
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Instead of putting AMS Mixer 2 as AMS1 Pitch Modulation, set it directly to "Step Sequencer". That way, the step sequencer will work whatever SW position.

It does not work properly! On the tab "OSC/Pitch - Pitch EG/Mod" - I assign to OSC2 Pitch Modulation - AMS1 = Step Seq. With the button pressed SW1 - the pattern works. When off SW1 - the pattern is very quiet, without the necessary attack.

All videos about Step Seq on Youtube - I looked. Guide to parameters (pp. 184-186) - I studied (although I do not speak English). Also watched the branches of this forum dedicated to STEP SEQ
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

It does not work properly! On the tab "OSC/Pitch - Pitch EG/Mod" - I assign to OSC2 Pitch Modulation - AMS1 = Step Seq. With the button pressed SW1 - the pattern works. When off SW1 - the pattern is very quiet, without the necessary attack.

All videos about Step Seq on Youtube - I looked. Guide to parameters (pp. 184-186) - I studied (although I do not speak English). Also watched the branches of this forum dedicated to STEP SEQ

Well, I'm sorry. To be honnest I don't see what's wrong. All works fine with my Kronos.
I hope someone will understand what is your issue and could solve it.
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for trying to help me!
Apparently it will be easier to use the RPPR to create patterns.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
On the tab "OSC/Pitch - Pitch EG/Mod" - I assign to OSC2 Pitch Modulation - AMS1 = Step Seq. With the button pressed SW1 - the pattern works. When off SW1 - the pattern is very quiet, without the necessary attack.

The sound is quiet because the filter is closed since the filter EG isn't being retriggered. The lack of attack is because the Switch 1 also controls the retriggering of the Amp and Pitch EG's via LFO4. LFO 4 is patched into the EG's via AMS1 and it's intensity is controlled by SW1

Liviou2004 wrote:
I don't know Karma enough ! But Karma is not a step sequencer.

KARMA GE's have a mode called Generated Gated which can act as a step sequencer, with one version specifically formulated to act like the Triton arp. Of course, custom GE's can only be programmed via the software.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

KARMA GE's have a mode called Generated Gated which can act as a step sequencer, with one version specifically formulated to act like the Triton arp. Of course, custom GE's can only be programmed via the software.

Thank you Charles for this clarification.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

You're still right in that KARMA operated from the keyboard as is can't be programmed like a step sequencer. But yeah going hands on with the software would get you there. Alternatively someone who has the software can make a custom GE that can be loaded into any Kronos. That's an option for those that don't want to purchase or take the time to learn the KARMA software.

As media-igor mentioned, he can go the RPPR route too. Kindof a roundabout way but that'll totally work. I guess the idea is to make a custom pattern to trigger the timbre you want in combi mode... or load a sound into the drum slot of Program mode.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

You're still right in that KARMA operated from the keyboard as is can't be programmed like a step sequencer. But yeah going hands on with the software would get you there. Alternatively someone who has the software can make a custom GE that can be loaded into any Kronos. That's an option for those that don't want to purchase or take the time to learn the KARMA software.

As media-igor mentioned, he can go the RPPR route too. Kindof a roundabout way but that'll totally work. I guess the idea is to make a custom pattern to trigger the timbre you want in combi mode... or load a sound into the drum slot of Program mode.

My opinion is that the Step Sequencer isn't really hard to undestand comparatively to the use of Karma ! But perhaps, I didn't understand what is our friend's purpose and what obstacle he encounters ?
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the step sequencer isn’t bad.
I did think of a way to use KARMA as a kind of step sequencer. If you use a basic arp GE and change the scale to scalic 2 in the GE RTP settings, you can then use the note map to transpose different steps however you like. You would still be stuck at whatever rhythmic pace the Arp steps are running at, but that’s no different than using an LFO to trigger an envelope at regular intervals.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
I did think of a way to use KARMA as a kind of step sequencer. If you use a basic arp GE and change the scale to scalic 2 in the GE RTP settings, you can then use the note map to transpose different steps however you like. You would still be stuck at whatever rhythmic pace the Arp steps are running at, but that’s no different than using an LFO to trigger an envelope at regular intervals.

Thank you Charles. I will test what you suggest.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:

Thank you Charles. I will test what you suggest.

What I'm suggesting is pretty tricky so I recorded a demonstration. Turns out Scalic 3 (Chromatic) is the better Note Type to use.
Youtube just notified me about this "premier" feature so I'll try it on this video: https://youtu.be/eWz-EBXNjSY
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure I'm really seeing the point of the premiere feature...

But nonetheless, thank you for making the video, and I'll be excited to watch it when it becomes available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: