Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting Up An External Ribbon Controller for: Pa1000/700

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Setting Up An External Ribbon Controller for: Pa1000/700 Reply with quote

A fascinating feature that's included in the Pa4x, but not on the Pa1000/Pa700, is its ribbon controller.

I just discovered this interesting YouTube vid Ribbon Controller Connected to Korg Pa1000
where an external ribbon controller (via cellphone & a cellphone app?) is connected up to his Korg Pa1000 via midi/usb and used to "live trigger" pitch bends (with left finger) for Middle Eastern music.

I'm interested now in exploring the possibility of utilizing an external ribbon controller device or better yet, my Apple iPhone X (via a phone app?) connected (via Midi/USB?) to my Pa1000 to emulate pedal steel guitar slides for western style country music.

Anyone here have advice/experience using a ribbon controller (vs joytick) to share?

Help advice for purchasing and setting up an external ribbon controller device, or utilizing a cellphone + phone app and how to set this up on the Pa1000 would be much appreciated.

Scott Cool
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting Up An External Ribbon Controller for: Pa1000/700 Reply with quote

scottyee wrote:
.. I just discovered ... Ribbon Controller

.. simply is be done of a touchpad used as Midi-Controller --> SoundPrism Pro of Audanika (4,99 EUR), Orphion of Bastus Trump (free, Editor 0,99 EUR In-App-Kauf) etc ...

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
scottyee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Siebenhirter. Great. Was able to locate the Soundprism app ($4.99 US) on the online Apple App Store. I now need to figure out how to connect my iPhone X’ only output (Lighting port) up to the Pa1000 and where it needs to connect to on the back of the Pa1000 (Korg’s midi in, or the korg’s USB port)? Can you or someone else with experience doing this provide step by step instructions with both setup and settings required on the Pa1000 to accept and recognize pitch bend commands sent from my iPhone acting as an external ribbon controller? Scott
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Send midi messages via iPhone-touchscreen Reply with quote

scottyee wrote:
.. how to connect my iPhone X’ only output (Lighting port) up to the Pa1000 and where it needs to connect to on the back of the Pa1000 (Korg’s midi in, or the korg’s USB port) ..

iphones software will send midi-messages accordingly on that channel number you have set or your software is using. use same channel number in Midi-In of your Pa-keyboard and select a track, where you want to use the midi-messages. if you do not select a track but "global", your Pa-Keyboard simulate incoming controller-messages as if they were generated by Pa1000's integrated controllers (keyboard, pedal, joystick, panel ..).

You can use whatever MIDI-In-connectors you want (USB-Host, Midi). You can receive whatever kind of midi-messages you want to use (note / controller / pitchbend / aftertouch / control / prgchg / sysex ..) as you can see of recogniced events in Midi Implementation (Manual Page 1050).

Also ribbon-controls are simple control messages - sent with cc#16 - maybe to be used as each other CC#s as DMS.

But does not make sense to send cc#16-messages via "global", as Pa1000 has no integrated controller on its panel and in its OS like pa4, where features for assigning functions to the ribbon controller and assigning the ribbon controller to Tracks and Sounds are realized.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
scottyee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siebenhirter. Thanks. Just need now to find a lighting to usb cable to go from iPhone to the Pa1000 USB port (host or device port?) and how to configure soundprism pro to function only as a finger activated midi out controller. Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: