Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios? Reply with quote

Do any Kronos factory programs or downloadable banks have examples of arpeggios in the style heard in (for example) Moody Blues The Voice, or the Jon and Vangelis collaborations? I know RPPR provides a lot of power and flexibility, but also somewhat daunting when starting with absolutely nothing. Finding the right notes, pitch, tempo, underlying program, and putting them all together in a pattern that works together seems to require some experience, or a lot of trial and error.

I'd appreciate any pointers to examples by others that could serve as a starting point.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios? Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
Do any Kronos factory programs or downloadable banks have examples of arpeggios in the style heard in (for example) Moody Blues The Voice, or the Jon and Vangelis collaborations? I know RPPR provides a lot of power and flexibility, but also somewhat daunting when starting with absolutely nothing. Finding the right notes, pitch, tempo, underlying program, and putting them all together in a pattern that works together seems to require some experience, or a lot of trial and error.

I'd appreciate any pointers to examples by others that could serve as a starting point.

RPPR is in Song/Sequencer mode only.
So RPPR cannot be tied to programs or combis unless they are set up into a sequencer song. RPPR patterns primarily work like Drum track patterns, where you have patters you can use on call. RPPR takes it into another world of utility for some realime interaction via the keys patterns get assigned to.

RPPR is a blank slate and is wide open to recieve any midi data you want to give it to play for you. You can record Karma patterns into RPPR or you have access to drum track patterns to use in RPPR. RPPR patterns can also be saved as drum track patterns to use in drum track which the makes the pattern available in Program or combi mode.
Greatest part of RPPR, is if you can play the arpegio you need, you can record it directly to sequencer via real-time, step record, or overdub. And then have full sequencer edit features to make it just right, before making it an RPPR user pattern.
Also you can get midi Arps from other devices(like keyboards that use arppegiators) and make SMF files of those arps that can then go to kronos.
Also Audio strips of arps can work with kronos via sampler and making a program of the sample, and using RPPR user pattern to run the sample in the program.

You are not stuck with looking in kronos factory programs for material to use in RPPR. You can get material from anywhere as long as it can be sampled or exported as Standard midi file.
Cannot use RPPR in program or combi mode. But a program or combi can be used in Sequencer where RPPR mode can be turned on for running patterns with the sound of programs.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios? Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
... or the Jon and Vangelis ...

Make a COMBI yourself ( arpeggio does NOT have to be exact! )
INT-D 116 Slow Pad String XL is a good starting point for Vangelis tunes.
Switch KARMA scene to 1, Add some solo instrument to track 8.
And tracks 4,5,6,7 use for your creativity, there are plenty of arpeggios that will fit very well.

Don't bother with freely available Vangelis' MIDI files. They are all CRAP!
If you want commercial tracks, there are some. One of them is ( https://www.soundsoft.de/midifile/en/Jon-Anderson-Vangelis-Ill-Find-My-Way-Home.html ). MIDI DEMO is downloadable.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios? Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Thanks for that insight - I didn't realize that, but don't use Song/Sequencer mode. It's too bad it is a (seemingly artificially) isolated mode that is almost like Combi, but not.

So probably the best approach would be to use the Karma software to create custom GEs that could be triggered with 1 key zones. I have it, but have never surmounted the learning curve. Maybe someday...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any examples of RPPR arpeggios? Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
19naia wrote:

Thanks for that insight - I didn't realize that, but don't use Song/Sequencer mode. It's too bad it is a (seemingly artificially) isolated mode that is almost like Combi, but not.

So probably the best approach would be to use the Karma software to create custom GEs that could be triggered with 1 key zones. I have it, but have never surmounted the learning curve. Maybe someday...

Someday starts today...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: