Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Because Akai Professional thinks that most of their customers don't really want to fiddle with MIDI. They want that clip/sample action.

They may even be right.

The rest of the world goes to Circuit or Deluge or even Electribe.

Circuit uses 1/8" MIDI also, even though it's size would allow proper DIN5 ports to be used. It's almost as annoying as the trend to not even include regular MIDI ports and only offer MIDI over USB. I don't understand how a taller device is somehow more desirable considering it takes up not more desk space. I can sorta understand not putting connections on the top of the device as the Volcas have them, but not at all really makes me think it's not a professional instrument (even though I'm not a pro Wink )
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Circuit uses the little jacks, but at least it has the excuse of being a hell of a lot cheaper than the Force. In fact, for the price of the Force you could grab a Circuit and a bunch of other devices as well.

This is why I reckon that Akaipro isn't really assuming that their users will be lining up to use MIDI.

Honestly, the more I watch the lunatic gyrations around the MIDI world, the more I'm tempted to just give it up and go all-CV. Seriously, does any person not currently in the grip of hallucinogens expect the MIDI association to come up with a coherent 2.0 protocol in the next five years? Not, of course, that current gear will stop working, but the expectation that it will be well-supported by the industry is just not really bearing itself out.

Then I look at modular prices, laugh like a drain, and go back to desktop. But even so. Wow.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just in time for NAMM 2019 MIDI Association have announce the final core features for MIDI 2.0. Basically they've used a lot of words to say "we've released the beta to MMA members and some of them have replied that they will start to develop for it. The ".0" bit sorta hints at future changes I figure.
Linky-clicky-thingy to the right: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/18/midi-2-0-promises-auto-configuration-extended-resolution-tighter-timing-backward-compatibility/
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my view that the MMA moves even slower than the proverbially glacial pace of government, and that I would be significantly surprised if a complete MIDI 2.0 specification were produced in the next five years.

In fact I'll go further and state that the only way that they achieve that miracle would be if they've suddenly realised what a catastrophic loss of faith their sluggish development has engendered in their key market. MIDI 1 works. It doesn't work perfectly, it isn't all that great, it has many limitations but at least MIDI-enabled equipment mostly stably does that thing. Musicians can work with that. MIDI 2 doesn't even look as if it is likely to achieve that level of usability for a long time to come.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping to see a new Kaoss Pad, like a true Kaoss Pad 4 would have been nice. (Kaoss Quad is not a Kaoss Pad 4, It's just a quad).
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I still stand by my view that the MMA moves even slower than the proverbially glacial pace of government, and that I would be significantly surprised if a complete MIDI 2.0 specification were produced in the next five years.

In fact I'll go further and state that the only way that they achieve that miracle would be if they've suddenly realised what a catastrophic loss of faith their sluggish development has engendered in their key market. MIDI 1 works. It doesn't work perfectly, it isn't all that great, it has many limitations but at least MIDI-enabled equipment mostly stably does that thing. Musicians can work with that. MIDI 2 doesn't even look as if it is likely to achieve that level of usability for a long time to come.

I agree they move at a snail's pace, but it's out and will be discussed at NAMM. Here's another link directly to the source: https://www.midi.org/articles-old/the-midi-manufacturers-association-mma-and-the-association-of-music-electronics-industry-amei-announce-midi-2-0tm-prototyping

Last edited by megamarkd on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototyping doesn't mean it's out. Prototyping means that they kinda maybe have a sort of a thing that might possibly deserve some kind of review before they all vanish into another smoke-filled room to knife each other over what fixes the supposed problems should have, and for that matter which problems really even are problems.

Five years. Still my bet.
DmitryKo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI 2.0 protocol was feature-complete back in 2015, and private demos were run at NAMM shows since at least 2011. They just couldn't figure out the incentive for an industry-wide adoption.

But now that has changed - welcome MIDI-CI which includes things like configuration, patch listing, and controller profiles. This is now a separate standard which works with MIDI 1.0 hardware and does not require new MIDI 2.0 messaging protocol.

It looks like Yamaha, Korg and Roland have been testing prototype implementations of MIDI-CI since at least 2017- see the Profiles and Property Exchange demos:
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/midi-manufacturers-association-mma-adopts-midi-capability-inquiry-midi-ci-specification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12gOn9GYatE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSlQ-pjMbg

The synths used are Yamaha Montage, reface CS and reface YC, Korg Monologue, and Roland VR-09.

BTW these demos are presented by Athan Billias of Yamaha USA and the MMA executive board.
Yutaka Hasegawa, the current Chairman of AMEI, is also a former Yamaha employee.

More MIDI-CI videos:
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/midi-capabilties-inquiry-presentation-at-adc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvoYCMueRa8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyXDeLbmeE
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this Teenage Engineering news somehow:

I dunno really if it's anything really that special aside being a complete modular system in an affordable package. Sounds nice enough for the price and the construction kit idea is novel and fun. Their webpage on TE's site promises individual modules that will conform to Eurorack specs. The sequencing tactile controller is pretty interesting looking, disappointing Tobias doesn't present that in the video. Also, did TE not have a stand at NAMM or is the idea of presenting from a hotel room to highlight TE's instruments being great for travelling musicians? Weird if they didn't have a stand there.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that they did the same thing as Behringer, hanging out on the fringes.

I am iffy about their flatpack idea, because it seems to presuppose where you'll put the modules, and how many of which types you'll have. That's rather counter to the modular ethos. I await (and welcome) correction, but if the faceplate is made of a chunk of metal, that's the impression I get.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I have a feeling that they did the same thing as Behringer, hanging out on the fringes.

I am iffy about their flatpack idea, because it seems to presuppose where you'll put the modules, and how many of which types you'll have. That's rather counter to the modular ethos. I await (and welcome) correction, but if the faceplate is made of a chunk of metal, that's the impression I get.

Perhaps they couldn't justify a real presence at the show. I know that to keep prices down for visitors, organisers can charge exhibitors like a wounded bull. When adding up the cost of rep's travel expenses, accommodation, stand and stand transport, stand builders and actual exhibition booth space, for a small company from Sweden to fork out all that they'd end up with no funds to develop any products! At least they got some coverage of their new year products out at a time where everyone is waiting to see where the year is headed.

I agree completely about the flatpack concept. Seeing how their preset offerings are actually constructed I can only think there are many who will end up snapping the panels at the fold points. Again I agree the preset layout of the 'modulars' contradicts the whole modular ethos. I feel like they are more a semi modular sans the hard-wired signal path, it doesn't make sense!
I can't find out the materials being used in these new instrument though by looking at them I have a feeling it is powder-coat metal. As I am a bit of a sequencer collector, that sequencer/controller interesting. But I know what I'd rather put $300us towards...

Spheric El is a bit of TE fan, perhaps he has more detail.

Last edited by megamarkd on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah hello MegaMarkd!
Just seen this msg

Spheric El is a bit of TE fan, perhaps he has more detail.

Sorry I can't help you here at all.
I'm not modular and more likely to go volca as an intro.
TE have lost me a bit with their price hyke on op-1 and stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: